What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Smith to sign with Souths

Paullyboy

Coach
The problem is his player manager. Smith may not care about the money, but Ill tell you right now his manager does. And his manager has the ultimate say in this - not Smith - because Smith would have a contract with his manager that stipulates that his manager has control over all financial negotiations.

So it is meaningless what Smith says, obviously his manager will listen to him and try and do whats best for him where he can, but at the end of the day the manager will make the decision - not Smith.

Poida_Raider

Bench
yeah but if his manager wants him to go somewhere that he doesnt want to go, i dont think the manager can make him sign, or do anything he doesnt want to. that'd just be dumb, the manager is there to aid the player, as they know the finer details of this sh*t, the final decision is down to the player.

Roy Rover

Juniors
Maybe we can organise some old ladies to head down to the training ground and cry and beg him to stay. Hang on it didn't work for Canterbury did it.

Boing Boing

Juniors
Pistol said:
I thought it was Tyron Smith. I didnt think Souths were interested in Jason

This thread has a very misleading title. Judging by the comments in the thread, I'd say it's just a discussion of the possibility of Smith moving to Souths.

woodgers

Bench
I know what you mean Paullyboy but at the end of the day Smith will have final say. If he wants his family to stay in Canberra and he wants the Raiders then that is where he will be. The manager can try and talk him into moving but at the end of the day the manager will have a choice to make - 20% of $250k or 20% of $0.

Don't forget you guys that he was ready to sign just after the Tigers game. It was our management that stuffed around and waited to see how many games he could play. If Smithy is gone because we have bought Thurling and Learoyd-Lars it will show how inept our management is. Smith for 2 years is much better than 4 from either of these guys simply on the knowlegde Smith passes on to his teammates.

Franko

Juniors
I'm a big Souths supporter and would love to see him. However really cant see it happening.

ausraider

Juniors
woodgers said:
I know what you mean Paullyboy but at the end of the day Smith will have final say. If he wants his family to stay in Canberra and he wants the Raiders then that is where he will be. The manager can try and talk him into moving but at the end of the day the manager will have a choice to make - 20% of $250k or 20% of $0.

Don't forget you guys that he was ready to sign just after the Tigers game. It was our management that stuffed around and waited to see how many games he could play. If Smithy is gone because we have bought Thurling and Learoyd-Lars it will show how inept our management is. Smith for 2 years is much better than 4 from either of these guys simply on the knowlegde Smith passes on to his teammates.

Well said Woodgers.Even if we didn't sign Thurling or Lars to retaiin Smith i don't think it would have made a big difference in 06.As I said with Smith, Lomu,Tilse and thommo & co we still posess a very good pack.with the best pack without Smith they count for nothing.

legend

Coach
I think player managers get somewhere in the vicinty of 6-10%, not 20%. Just thought I would clear that up.

woodgers

Bench
Bugger! I was guessing.

I had 10% originally and changed it to 20%. I guess it depends on the sport. Look what that Bernie Mandic made out of the Harry Kewell transfer.

aussies1st

Staff member
Cant see Smith going he said he would retire this year. So other option really should be re-signing with the raiders. Im sure he has come to love the raiders now and probably doesn't want to betray them

Hayabusa

Juniors
I'm not too worried. Furner said that he was hoping to get it done before he went into origin camp and considering origin just finished I'd expect them to be now resuming talks where they left off.

ausraider

Juniors
In other news, Canberra's veteran five-eighth Jason Smith is expected to extend his contract for another year over the weekend.

"Because we didn't really budget him in for next year, he's had to come to terms with taking a drop (in his contract)," said Raiders general manager Don Furner.

It's highly likely the 33-year-old Smith will retire at the end of 2006 but it's not a fait accompli.

"I'll see how I feel halfway through next year," he said. "More than likely it'll be my last year but I won't say definitely."

Hopefully good news coming over the weekend.This will be icing on the cake after a solid win over Storm.

woodgers

Bench
I love Smith, he is a hero

I can't believe that in March I had beers with Smith, Frawley and a few other Raiders while out on the town and had more time for Frawley. I was wrong and admit it.

new story today is that Souths are prepared to throw lots of money at Smith, as nobody worth their salt wants to play for "the pride of the league".

Interesting developments. I should of read the CT before saying that...seems he's re-signed, hooray for Smithy!

BAY72

Juniors
woodgers said:
I love Smith, he is a hero

I can't believe that in March I had beers with Smith, Frawley and a few other Raiders while out on the town and had more time for Frawley. I was wrong and admit it.

not realy Woodgers, I was there too and Frawley seemed to be Ultra keen to win an Origin spot and had planed to set the world on fire! no body said any thing about his injuries....

and as for Smith, he didn't say anything all night, he just stared streight ahead and dowend beer after beer. I don't remember even seeing him smile that night. in fact I don't even remeber him stopping to take a breath.