What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So Its Round 5. Does Ivan Stay Or Go

JoeD

First Grade
why arnt we sh*t like 09 ?
No Stacey Jones
Different gameplan
More enthusiasm

The NRL is so tight that the difference between winning and losing is a few % points in effort.

AliN

Live Update Team
No Stacey Jones
Different gameplan
More enthusiasm

The NRL is so tight that the difference between winning and losing is a few % points in effort.

Was just talking about the exact same thing Joe.

What's different?

Stace.. well he could only go on the foundation laid on by the forwards. We have basically the same forwards as last year, barring Latimore.. and no Price - is that a factor?

Attitude is a major difference for sure. The heads aren't down when things don't go to plan, the enthusiasm to fix it is.

Cleary is only as good as the management team around him.
Iro the same. The combination is working, as the other members of the off field team.

I'm thankful 2009 isn't being repeated..

Dirty Hoe

Juniors
just another thread basically discussing the same thing over and over. really how many threads do we need to discuss cleary and how we have turned things around.
even the threads that are positive are soon turned on their head by certain people and it gets back to talking either last year, or cleary, or players that shouldnt be there. its becoming a joke really

ozbash

Referee
just another thread basically discussing the same thing over and over. really how many threads do we need to discuss cleary and how we have turned things around.
even the threads that are positive are soon turned on their head by certain people and it gets back to talking either last year, or cleary, or players that shouldnt be there. its becoming a joke really

not so, hoe.

last years numerous threads were looking for blame.

This years numerous threads are looking to place accolades fairly and squarely on someones shoulders for the obvious, startling and to some, unprecedented turn around in form.

Early days yet, hoe. It could all turn to sh*t on Sunday and then I'll be back to blaming McKinnon for losing us another premiership !! :cool:

Of course, you could grab the bull by the proverbials and start a couple of "different" threads where we could all sit round and discuss stuff you think is "interesting". ;-)

I'd be in...

Meth

Staff member

Well, if you don't like it, leave. It's not like you contribute anything- this is your typical post

Meth

Staff member
Three points:

1. This is a forum. ie a place where people discuss things.
If we can't discuss things freely there is no point taking part. Hopefully, by reading someone elses opinion, we may learn more.

2. What has caused the form turnaround? Maybe Cleary; but I think two key positions have had a lot of influence. Hooker and Halfback. The ball has been moved through these two positions a lot faster so we are actually seeing the backs with some clean ball and a bit of space to move. Great.

3. Cleary. Five rounds was a fair time to evaluate his position. If we were 5-0 down, on top of last year, I don't think this discussion would be taking place. Instead we are playing good football and he has won a reprieve.
OK. Where to from here.
No doubt he is capable of coaching , my doubts lie over his ability to motivate.
He is the second longest incumbent NRL coach. (I think.) Last year the players weren't fit. He has all the facts and figures. Why did he allow this?
He stated that, had he been available, he would have re-signed Stacey. Astute? I don't think so.
Heremaia is head and shoulders better than Henderson. So what was Henderson doing playing second row?
Manu struggled in the first half last week and was clearly in pain. How stupid to put him back out & risk serious injury.
Time will tell if Cleary becomes a really good coach. Good coaches are forged not by leading a great team through a winning streak but in turning around the fortunes of an underperforming team.
If Cleary can lead us to a long overdue Grand Final win I will be his greatest supporter. Till then I will wait and hope.

I still think the biggest difference between last year and so far this year are the little men- 1, 6, 7 and 9. Particularly the absence of a certain #7 and a certain #9.

Your points on Cleary are valid, and yeah, if we were 0-5, perhaps my tune would be different- but I have always been in favour of giving him the season to confirm or deny his coaching ability. I have been baffled by some of his decisions, but we have done well under him prior to 2009, so I think we should write that season off as a blip on the radar.

I really struggle with him playing Manu

Dirty Hoe

Juniors
meth you are infamous for giving an opinion of your own, that is just repeating what someone else has already said. i can add what i think, but if i see that someone else has said it, i see no real point. it gets tiresome reading the same things over and over, albeit from different people.

yet another post, where you have just repeated the same thing, albeit in a different way. pointless

Martli

Coach

Man, anything to get away from the usual "Name your Lineup for team X playing game Y" I say...

Meth

Staff member
meth you are infamous for giving an opinion of your own, that is just repeating what someone else has already said. i can add what i think, but if i see that someone else has said it, i see no real point. it gets tiresome reading the same things over and over, albeit from different people.

yet another post, where you have just repeated the same thing, albeit in a different way. pointless

Yeah, I am an opinion leech. :roll:

Seriously champ, if you don't like the forum (and given that most of your posts are monotonous preaching about the monotony of the threads, that's a fair assumption), go. We wouldn't actually miss anything for you not being here.

Meth

Staff member
Man, anything to get away from the usual "Name your Lineup for team X playing game Y" I say...

I don't mind those- spurs on discussion about positional changes and take the pulse of how we are feeling about the club and players

Meth

Staff member
i noticed to looked at my profile :cool:

Yeah.

I looked there once before, when you were also being a self-righteous smeghead. I saw you listing your resume of clubs in third person and concluded that you think that we should be offering you deference on account of you nearly, nearly-making it.

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
then maybe you should head back to the nrl forum and get back to attacking timmah if (repetitive or not) football discussion doesn't yank your chain.

Meth

Staff member
Clubs the Hoe has played for
TE ATATU ROOSTERS (Auckland Fox)
MACKSVILLE SEA EAGLES (NSW Group 2)
GUILDFORD LEAGUES (Sydney Metro Cup)
NORTHCOTE TIGERS (Auckland Fox)
OLD BAR BEACH PIRATES (NSW Group 3)
LISMORE MARIST BROTHERS (NSW Northern Rivers)
MURWILLUMBAH MUSTANGS (NSW Northern Rivers)
NORTHS DEVILS (QLD Cup/Fogs Cup)
MOSSMAN PORT DOUGLAS (Cairns)
CAIRNS BROTHERS (Cairns)
PARKES SPACEMEN (NSW Group 11)
NORTHERN RAIDERS (Brisbane 2nd Div)

Meth

Staff member
I think that the bee in Hoe's bonnet is that we are talking to him and not about him