What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So Its Round 5. Does Ivan Stay Or Go

Drzoidberg

Juniors
last year we won 2 games away. so far (rd 5) we have won 2 games away. That is an indication that there has been a fairly substantial change of attitude,, somewhere.

The difference this season is Maloney, new fullback, new captain/s, no Pricey, new assistant coach.

We have basically the same team who performed dismally last year apart from #7 and Tates return.

I think Iro has forced Ivan to up his game, and I also think we are better off without Price as a player and cptain.

:lol::lol: Maybe wait till round 10 aye mate

Meth

Staff member
last year we won 2 games away. so far (rd 5) we have won 2 games away. That is an indication that there has been a fairly substantial change of attitude,, somewhere.

The difference this season is Maloney, new fullback, new captain/s, no Pricey, new assistant coach.

We have basically the same team who performed dismally last year apart from #7 and Tates return.

I think Iro has forced Ivan to up his game, and I also think we are better off without Price as a player and cptain.

I don't know what the basis for the criticism of Price is. Sure, last year wasn't his best- but I honestly can't say that I have seen him have a bad game for us

just another thread basically discussing the same thing over and over. really how many threads do we need to discuss cleary and how we have turned things around.
even the threads that are positive are soon turned on their head by certain people and it gets back to talking either last year, or cleary, or players that shouldnt be there. its becoming a joke really

Management released a statment before the season stating Ivan had until R5 to see if he would continue based on results and how the team was playing. I started the thread becos R5 has been and gone now we the fans should debate the merrits of him staying.

Dont hate just participate

ozbash

Referee
I don't know what the basis for the criticism of Price is.

Pricey was a shadow of his former self, after Origin selection !!
Not worth half of whatever salary he's on and he lost a large part of whatever respect I had for the guy.

Dirty Hoe

Juniors
harsh, but i can see where you are coming from.
you pay extreme top dollar, you expect the best week in, week out.
but just like a car, you may pay a fortune for a mercedes, but you still may have problems.
going on with the car thing, you need to service it, a service for a player is a rest mid season.
and as ozbash has said, he came back from origin at not his best. its obviously pointless this year, but certainly last year was the case. the bloke didnt get a rest (service) at the right times. he was working too hard and didnt have any oil left in the engine. the mercedes running around with the honda engine.

Meth

Staff member
Maybe we are paying more for him than his performances on the field justify- arguably. Like I said, I haven't seen him play a bad game- always good for at least 100 meters. Sense of leadership of the field whether he is the captain or not. Would be preferable at this stage to Royal or Latimore. We will be a better team when he returns.

Dirty Hoe

Juniors
Maybe we are paying more for him than his performances on the field justify- arguably. Like I said, I haven't seen him play a bad game- always good for at least 100 meters. Sense of leadership of the field whether he is the captain or not. Would be preferable at this stage to Royal or Latimore. We will be a better team when he returns.

way to state the obvious :lol:

Meth

Staff member
Hoe, this is really boring. I see what you are trying to do, but it isn't working. That comment was in response to

which basically inferred that Price's exclusion was a positive. The fact that he is miles ahead of Royal and Latimore debunks that statement

Micistm

Bench
I don't agree that's it a fault of the Warriors to have re-signed him in the first place. The guy had performed well for the club, had a good affiliation with the players, was an astute football player and had performed admirably for the Roosters lower graders. The Warriors clearly had confidence in him from day dot.

We talk about "Keep the faith", clearly the Warriors management, who have a day-to-day relationship with Ivan understand he's a lot better coach than 2009 indicated, or that some of the chump media experts here in Sydney can appreciate.

Fair call, and it seems to have been the correct choice. Early days of course, but I'm certainly not complaining about the effort so far.
I think it was Wayne Bennett in the early '90s that launched into his Broncs team as a 'team of coach killers.' Last years Warriors team could have definately been that.
I do agree had Cleary gone last year it would have been a harsh call in many ways if the majority of the team had not performed, followed plans etc.
However, it is also fair that big questions needed to be asked post last season as it just went so badly wrong. The dumping of Witt/Fein that had gone well the year previous to follow an unproven older Jones; the obvious 'kick it to Manu' overused plan; the total lack of attack; the missing spark from pretty much entire team.
Who knows? Like the old rule of supply and demand, form is a hard thing to work out. I'm just stoked we're getting some entertainment this year.

Dirty Hoe

Juniors
i see no point in saying something if its so obvious...only thing that statement achieved was to bring down the performances of latimore and royal.

Rich102

Staff member
Results aside, the team is playing more attractive football.
That in itself has to be an improvement.

Meth

Staff member
i see no point in saying something if its so obvious...only thing that statement achieved was to bring down the performances of latimore and royal.

It obviously wasn't that obvious to Ozbash- he was pointing to Price's absence being a reason why we are a better football team

You are clutching at straws Hoe

Dirty Hoe

Juniors
so ozbash cant have an opinion different to yours?

you seem to think you are the kingpin around here...telling people what to do, how to think. i can tell you, you are far from it :lol:

Lego_Man

First Grade
Pricey was a shadow of his former self, after Origin selection !!
Not worth half of whatever salary he's on and he lost a large part of whatever respect I had for the guy.

Shows the vendetta was pre-existing.

Why the chip on the shoulder? He's done more for the Warriors than 99% of other players.

Lego_Man

First Grade
I think it was Wayne Bennett in the early '90s that launched into his Broncs team as a 'team of coach killers.' Last years Warriors team could have definately been that.

I think last year Ivan was a "team killer", rather than the team being a "coach killer". He seems to have learnt a bit though, even going by selection policies. Iro must have helped too.