What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So long, Ruben Wiki

Moffo

Referee
what a legend, his hit on willie mason in extra time was one of the best i've ever seen

innsaneink

Referee
You could hear the passion in his voice when thanking the crowd for "supporting a good cause" (our game)

Well done Wiki....plays it how it should be played, and seems a nice bloke.

salivor

First Grade
I thought he was going to cry in that interview, I really fear for the Kiwis next year without his leadership, amazing player.

McLovin

Staff member
Awesome player...

How many years does he have on his Warriors contract??

Misty Bee

First Grade
Wiki - now THERE'S a bloke who the word "legend" fits to a tee. The best ambassador our game has had for a very long time.

Special K

Coach
Sad news about all three. The crazy thing about Wiki is he coulda played more if it wasn't for his record with high shots. It is really hard to imagine the kiwis without him.

Charlie124

First Grade
The best ambassador?? the guy is a thug, always entertaining to see him knock someone out but i wouldnt be idolizing him, will be a strange looking team without him though.

yakstorm

First Grade
I think Shane Webcke described guys like Wiki the best, their role in the forwards is such a hard task, always dancing the high rope of being the villian or the hero in the forwards because of their style of hits, some can keep it 'around the shoulders' others seem to cop the cheap 'high shot around the neck'.

Regardless from meeting guys like Webcke and Wiki, Morely and so on, you can't knock their respect for their national jersey and the effort and pride they put behind it.

To loose Webcke from international football was a shame, now to loose Wiki its the same pain again... A great passionate leader who whilst not always the cleanest of players showed his heart on his sleeve every time he wore the black and white of NZ.

Kurt Angle

First Grade
I would rename the golden boot award the Ruben Wiki medal.. the guy deserve that much respect in regards to international RL.

TrevorAllan

Juniors
Yep Wiki is a real unsung hero. He's like a sportsman from 30-40 years ago. Does his thing, right or wrong, but never ever expects to be worshipped for it.

Skinner

Coach
LeagueNut said:
He signed an extension earlier this season, so he's got another two years with us.

I think it's fair to say that I'd be surprised if he went beyond next season.

KiWi_BoI_15

Juniors
A real heart felt interview with Costo after the game you could see him holding back the tears...

Wiki truly one of the legends of the game, he will leave a big gap to be filled in the Kiwis squad. Rubs good luck for the future mate, thanks for all the memories, truly one of the Greats.

Martli

Coach
I get the feeling he'll still be involved in future Kiwis camps to come, spme sort of inspiration role.

While you will NEVER be able to replace wiki, i'm not too worried about filing the no.8 jersey with Adam Blair and Nathan Cayless putting in solid performances. I think most will agree that Vagana wont be hard to replace but his experience will also be sorely missed.

Jones retireing is my MAJOR concern, especially if all out halves are going to be "injured".