What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So Milligan & Bird want to talk now...

Surely

Post Whore
Well some bonehead judge thinks it more likely a pizza crust can inflict a 10cm cut in a womans back rather than the tamborine a witness said was used, so anything is possible in reality geniused legal land.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
so if Bird somehow gets off does that mean the sharks , the police and the original judgment were all wrong?
?

If you run by the courts finding, guilty or innocent, you must continue to act in that manner if you use it as argument. Or you are hypocritical.

Frenzy.

Immortal
Well some bonehead judge thinks it more likely a pizza crust can inflict a 10cm cut in a womans back rather than the tamborine a witness said was used, so anything is possible in reality geniused legal land.

Yep. Sad isn't it.

Comes down to who has the art of bullsh*t and the bigger gift of the gab ultimately.

millersnose

Post Whore
For the record

The original appeal was to be a severity of sentence appeal and was set down for August.

Bird changed legal teams and in turn the new team has changed tactics. The severity appeal was shelved and an appeal against conviction was lodged.

i have not seen this reported in the press

samshark

Juniors
i have not seen this reported in the press

Greg Bird's girlfriend will talk to police

Will talk to police...Greg Bird's girlfriend Katie Milligan. Source: The Daily Telegraph

THE girlfriend of former NRL star Greg Bird has never spoken to police about the night she was glassed in the face - but it seems she has changed her mind.

Katie Milligan is now prepared to give evidence in a bid to help exonerate her lover when he fights his appeal in the NSW District Court later this year.

Bird was convicted earlier this year of the attack on girlfriend Katie Milligan, who sustained severe injuries to her eye in the assault.

He is now mounting an appeal to the NSW District Court, in a bid to avoid the minimum eight month jail sentence handed down by the local court magistrate.

Neither Bird nor Ms Milligan gave evidence at the local court hearing, while Ms Milligan also refused to cooperate with police after the incident.

But that position has now changed, with Bird’s new legal team telling the court this morning: “Ms Milligan is now willing and desires to give evidence.”
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...ce/story-e6frexnr-1225781144861#sidebar-start

Barrister Peter Kulevski also told the court they would be seeking to call Bird to give evidence as well – even though he exercised his right in the local court not to give evidence.

However, they face an uphill battle for either to be permitted to testify, with new evidence only able to be called at an appeal hearing if it is in the “interests of justice”.

Judge Michael Finnane agreed to differ the legal argument about this issue until early November – but said it was fairly obvious what Ms Milligan would say.

“She’s going to say something to exculpate the person who was convicted,” Judge Finnane said.

Mr Kulevski said the defence had so far been unable to get at statement from Ms Milligan but would do so before November 9.

“Ms Milligan’s in the US where her father is undergoing aggressive chemotherapy (for cancer),” he said.

“(But) the simple fact is she wishes to give evidence (now).”

The court also heard that Bird has engaged one of the top legal minds in Australia - Bret Walker SC - to run his appeal.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...l-talk-to-police/story-e6frexnr-1225781144861

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
I cant see anybody disagreeing with the fact that Bird is guilty, as found by the courts, with the exception of a few new blow-ins. He has been found guilty & should suffer the consequences. the Sharks were correct in sacking him & dealing with him in that manner. Of course, if the court & the police is proven to be wrong by fresh evidence & he is exonerated, then the Sharks were wrong in sacking him & Bird is innocent.
I will be running by the courts decision.

Surely

Post Whore
All i wanted to see was consistency, ie: he plays until the outcome of the trial was known, then if guilty the NRL should be the one to deregister him, not the club sack him.

Now because the club sacked him, when the NRL welcome him back next season we are no chance of resigning him.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
Miller was that directed at me? Are you saying you will only run with the court decision as long it agrees with your views?

millersnose

Post Whore
yes that was directed at you

and yes to your second question

a large number of court outcomes favour the criminal - this is how law is set up

if someone is found guilty its extremely unlikely they are innocent

if the are found innocent that merely means there wasnt enough evidence to attain a conviction

its a moot point in this case as bird is only appealling the severity of the sentence as far as i can see

millersnose

Post Whore
oh and common sense leads me to the inevitable conclusion that bird is responsible for the girls injuries

not herself, not watson, not the wuffly fluffy clumsy glass fairies

bird

spider

Coach
greg bird (to flat mate) - "we have told them it was you, how do you feel about that..."

convicted

** hire new legal representation **

greg bird - "katie, we have decided to tell the court it was you, how do you feel about that...."

my only question - why didnt she speak the f**k up to begin with???????????????????

millersnose

Post Whore
whatever she is going to say will make for interesting speculation

'i dropped a glass and fell on it'

'i glassed myself in the face'

'i threw the glass at the wall and it shattered and hit me'

judge - 'i find your testimony difficult to beleive'

hahahhaa

Inferno

Coach
yes that was directed at you

and yes to your second question

a large number of court outcomes favour the criminal - this is how law is set up

if someone is found guilty its extremely unlikely they are innocent

Perhaps but it still happens

if the are found innocent that merely means there wasnt enough evidence to attain a conviction

It could also mean they are innocent...

If you had to take a guess Millers, what % of people who end up before a court on a criminal matter, do you think are guilty?

Latest posts