What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So NOW can we sack Henjak?

badav

Bench
I think Ivan Henjak is doing a decent job in considerably difficult circumstances.

Benny never had a roster anywhere near what Ivan has to work with, and an already depleted roster has just been completely ripped apart by injuries in key positions.

Ivan wasn't coach when all those key players were let go either.

There are also factors out of control of the club too. What can the Broncos do to stop other clubs and codes poaching their key players. Hannant went from being a $50k firstgrader to a $300k+ rep player and the dogs came in with a massive offer. Same with Dave Taylor, Karmichael Hunt, etc. And everyone knows Petero's beef is with Wayne Bennet, not Ivan Henjak.

We could have resigned all those blokes and fielded a squad of 10 players.

Most importantly people need to stop being whiny little babies. Supporting a sports team is all about getting through the hard times and Bronco's supporters really have not had to experience that at any stage in the last 22 years, so just suck it up a bit.

Last edited:

badav

Bench
I don't mind henjak, he hasn't had the teams of the past to work with and what he has got he is doing alright, in my opinion he was only hired to cover the post until lockyer retires, when lockyer retires he'll take over as coach.

That will never happen.

Look at what happened with Brad Fittler. Started coaching far before he was ready.

I would say a minimum 5 year apprenticeship coaching lower grades and in assistant roles would be needed to be 1st coach of any side.

Broncs4ever

Juniors
Fox Sports - last nights game - half time in the sheds - Knights coach had all the players in a circle getting up them big time :sarcasm: - Broncos shed - our guys sitting/slouching against the wall - while our coach looked at his watch. Says it all :?

screeder

Juniors
I basically agree with daz on this issue. We are one good defence coach and some much needed luck with injuries away from being a top 4 outfit.

Ghoulies

Bench
Fox Sports - last nights game - half time in the sheds - Knights coach had all the players in a circle getting up them big time :sarcasm: - Broncos shed - our guys sitting/slouching against the wall - while our coach looked at his watch. Says it all :?
Your post says nothing, except that you're fond of emoticons.

Have you ever coached first grade? Have you ever coached anything? If you want to criticise Henjak, try honing in on something you have a clue about.

ponies 4ever

Juniors
Sacking Ivan Henjak will not improve the dreadful lack of talent, togetherness and willingness to work hard for one another that is missing for all and sundry to see at present. We as a club are reaping what we have sewn for the past few years. Clean out the management and work down from there, Henjak is the least of the real issues dogging this once proud club.

whykickamoocow

Juniors
Sacking Ivan Henjak will not improve the dreadful lack of talent, togetherness and willingness to work hard for one another that is missing for all and sundry to see at present. We as a club are reaping what we have sewn for the past few years. Clean out the management and work down from there, Henjak is the least of the real issues dogging this once proud club.
At a minimum it will get rid of some bullsh*t selections. I applaud Alex Glenn's efforts last night but he is not a hooker and to go into any game with an inexperienced half and fullback + a make shift hooker is asking to lose.

cornerposter

Juniors
At a minimum it will get rid of some bullsh*t selections. I applaud Alex Glenn's efforts last night but he is not a hooker and to go into any game with an inexperienced half and fullback + a make shift hooker is asking to lose.
Yeah, I can't believe Henjak picked those rookies in the critical 1,7 & 9 positions. Any coach worth his mettle would have have found a few spare internationals from the reggies. :sarcasm:

Dazzat

First Grade

And the alternative is?

Ivan's in good company. Broncos fans called for Wayne Bennett's head many times during his career, in the first few years before the premiership wins against St George, and in the later days.

The calls for Bennett's sacking probably peaked to the highest crescendo about mid-season during 2006 - the year we won our last premiership. They then strangely died down for about 18 months. Strange?

It seems winning a premiership is the only way to shut coach-sackers up. And then that will only last for a few years ... probably two years at the most. And then the baby-baby-whinging starts again. :crazy:

Knightmare

Coach
Now let's see ... first year coach gets a team one win away from a grand final.

Second year, the club continues to loses a mass of rep players, has the worst injury toll of the competition (including an Australian centre, No. 9 and No. 7) and the coach's head is being put on the chopping board.

My take on Henjak is he's in the process of building his coaching team. Having the right people around you (that suit your style) takes time. When he gets these people in place things (and when we get key players back) things will improve.

Michael Hagan got a Premiership in his first year as Knights coach...:sarcasm:

beads6

First Grade
SO if we can't sack Ivan which I am at least willing to give him more time. Injuries aside would you think he is doing a good job??

Knightmare

Coach
Yes, but that's Newcastle. It's south of the Tweed.

A Rugby League team north of the Tweed still has 13 men on the field (depending on the refs) and a field of the same dimensions.

Or would you like Gus to coach the Broncos?

screeder

Juniors
At a minimum it will get rid of some bullsh*t selections.

Yeah he's absolutely swimming in options at the moment at 1, 7, and 9. To sack the coach in this situation is ridiculous. So every time a team suffers heaps of injuries you're gonna sack the coach? Dude, don't panic yet.

ponies 4ever

Juniors
You only have to watch the press conferences to see the hurt all over Ivan Henjak. I believe he does NOT DESERVE TO BE SACKED. He done a mighty job last year with all and sundry "deathriding" him at every chance. Yes, I agree some of his selections have raised an eyebrow, but we are not the talent rich organisation we once were. Grubby board members have stuck their fingers in the football operations pie a little bit too much of late and we are beginning to resemble our dreaded southern adversaries. Ivan would only be a "sacrificial lamb" at best and not solve the real problems plaguing the Brisbane Broncos. Bruno Cullen is the man that simply has to fall on his sword, I would rather a non anaethetised colonoscopy than see him continue as our CEO. I just can't see any quick fixes to the damage done by influential figures at the club at present. But I will laugh when the crowds and ratings drop and therfore the profit margin which seems to b the b all and end all at our club lately. THIS CITY DESERVES A TEAM THEY CAN B PROUD OF !

Broncs4ever

Juniors
Your post says nothing, except that you're fond of emoticons.

Have you ever coached first grade? Have you ever coached anything? If you want to criticise Henjak, try honing in on something you have a clue about.

So sorry for having the nerve to dare post on your forum. Did not realise I had to be qualified. No I've never coached anything, me I'm just a Broncos fan who is at present watching a team that he loves falling apart after the first half.