What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So Where's the Mongrel?

hardbaby

Coach
Yeah man. I was stoked. Interesting when they have Weyman and Hunt at prop and Merrin in the second row they seem to play much tougher.

Weyman seems to get hunted when he plays in tandem with one big guy but when there are two he is dominant and holes start to open in and around the ruck.

The Dragons made a lot of running metres tonight. They put on lots of hits and really dominated the ruck. They beat the Manly forwards at their own game.

I wonder whether, come finals time, we should go Weyman, Young, Hunt, Merrin, Creagh, Scott to start then sub in Green, Cuthbertson, Prior and Fein at an appropriate time.

hardbaby

Coach
I started this post in Round 2. Unfortunate that it is still being revisited. Unfortunate because it has proven to be correct.

I watched every game this round and they could be summed up in one word..."WHACK". That is the sound of big boys colliding. It's bloody hard out there. If your fullback gets tackled on his try line expected to sweat blood and tears to get over the 30. You will get smashed. Suck it up and get outta there.

But not the Dragons. We don't race up off our line. We don't put on hits. We will let you stand in tackles. You can get heaps of offloads away. And if you belt our mate, we will watch.

Sad really. Our honour is on the line against the Storm. I don't expect to win. But I want to see a punishing defensive display. We need mongrel.

God-King Dean

Immortal
I think it's got jack to do with mongrel.

Did they lack mongrel when they won 9 in a row, & when they dominated Manly?

Willow

Assistant Moderator
It's obviously mental, a hard one to overcome.

But footy is unpredictable, no such thing as a sure bet.

We see it time and time again that a change in form can happen in one week.

Father Ted

First Grade
HAVING been told by renowned former Bulldogs hard man Kevin Ryan during the week to find some mongrel, second-rower Frank Pritchard duly delivered against Cronulla last night

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-match-report/pritchard-bares-teeth-but-ends-with-tail-between-legs-20110815-1iuto.html#ixzz1VDipYFhC

Mongrel exists and all the old timers know it . I've never seen a team in the Red Vee win a grand final without a least one exponent of MONGREL not one . All hope however is not lost the good news is in our pack one Beau Scott and when 100% fit will do the business.

Minh

First Grade
No excuses but how do you get up for a game like the Roosters last week when your looking to make a statement after the prior 3 weeks. I'm looking forward to this game against the Storm actually and the Warriors would be a true Semi final tune up also.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
HAVING been told by renowned former Bulldogs hard man Kevin Ryan during the week to find some mongrel, second-rower Frank Pritchard duly delivered against Cronulla last night

Mongrel exists and all the old timers know it . I've never seen a team in the Red Vee win a grand final without a least one exponent of MONGREL not one . All hope however is not lost the good news is in our pack one Beau Scott and when 100% fit will do the business.
Agreed.....2 Dragon greats Tough as Teak Kevin Ryan and Billy Wilson now they knew what the true meaning of mongrel was

Minh

First Grade
Our forwards are copping a hammering in the press and media lately, surely this must fire them up.

Father Ted

First Grade
John Hopoate is that taking Mongrel too far.:crazy:

There's a million years worth of distance between being a hard man i.e Kevin Ryan , Terry Randall or Bluey Wilson and someone like Hoppa and you know it you old shit stirrer

Minh

First Grade
There's a million years worth of distance between being a hard man i.e Kevin Ryan , Terry Randall or Bluey Wilson and someone like Hoppa and you know it you old shit stirrer

:lol: As a Saints supporter we've been pretty bored lately as you can see.

Latest posts