What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So who is the worst coach in the NRL?

_Johnsy

Referee
Considering Benny has taken the premiers to equal last and no improvement in sight, he is in the top 4 easily.

Hallatia

Referee
Chris Anderson, he let go of Lewis and Soward in the same year, he had these guys which are great young talent playing premier league whilst his team was struggling with its halves. Both players have went on to prove that they are great players and that Opes may be senile.

one good game from Pearce means nothing

lazza

Juniors
Chris Anderson hands down.

leaves a fresh guy on the bench until the 79th minute.

what a moron.

Apey

Staff member
Lol@comments about Smith.

You'll change your minds when our team kicks ass next year :D

Angry_eel

First Grade
Anderson fo sho. What kind of a coach lets go of two halves in the same season along with a guy like plum. I mean forget the fact that they might be crap but you still need a bit of backup.

Mal Meninga

Bench
lazza said:

what a moron.
One game doesn't make a season but Plum showed plenty of promise, you guys could definately use his aggression. Didn't Hasler one time rotate only 3 players, and that same guy only played 10 minutes for the next couple of games?

Opes moves aren't too bad considering the Roosters have thrown their cash behind Anasta and Pearce. How about Matt Elliot with his selections.... Boogas over Graham(Rep player this season)... Drew over Mick Monas... David Howell over anyone... Withers over Carney...

Initially I was shocked to see Ben Cross, Mark Bryant, Robbo, Jensen and so on become solid first graders but once I realised who was the talent evaluator.....

kooriguy

Juniors
dont these weasal raiders fans come out of the woodwork first chance they get to stick it to matt elliot, give it a rest sound like a bunch of whinging ex's.

Slackboy72

Coach
I wouldn't have any of them down as 'worst'.
I don't think any of us are that close to the inner workings of these clubs and teams to make any sort of judgement on their successes and failures.
A few good wins and you'll all be licking their boots again.
10 months ago every one wanted to sell Kevin Sheedy to the pet food factory. Now they want to resign him for another twenty years. Same thing happened with Wayne Bennett when the Broncos would go missing in the finals for year after year. Who's laughing now?
And when Tim Sheens was chased out of Townsville with his tail between his legs look what he landed on in the Wests Tigers.

Now the talk of the town is Steve Folkes getting the boot...
...people never cease to amaze me.

Nathan Brown has this title sewn up by the length of the flemington straight, the randwick straight, the aintree straight and sha-tin straight combined. What a clown. My mother could have coached that lot to at least one comp in seasons past

Inferno

Coach
lazza said:

what a moron.

As a Shark fan I love bagging Ando more than most, but Sticky kept a man on the bench, for the full 80 only a couple of weeks ago and the great Tim Sheens did exactly the same thing last year.

Inferno

Coach
kooriguy said:
dont these weasal raiders fans come out of the woodwork first chance they get to stick it to matt elliot, give it a rest sound like a bunch of whinging ex's.

They have every right to, they lost the coach, a ton of talent, everyone picked them for the spoon and they have come up smelling like roses.

It isn't turning on Elliot either, it's funny that most Rugby League fans are finding out what Raiders fans have known for a long time. Elliot is an average coach, and hid behind his "average team" for a long time. Well there is no more hiding for Elliot, and I bet Panthers fans are kicking themselves for letting Lang go.

mongoose

Coach
kooriguy said:

Not all of us think badly of elliot. I applaud him for getting us to 4th in 2003 which was a tougher competition than it is now. The main probem with Elliot was his persistent selections of underperforming senior players and his reluctance to blood younger players. Tactically i think he's a good coach, however he can be very fixed in his methods.

skeepe

Immortal
Elliott's biggest problem, and he's by no means alone in this, is that he likes a very structured gameplan. Talented, ad lib players are basically told to get back in their box and stick to the game plan. Can you honestly tell me that Rhys Wesser has looked anything like he did the last few seasons? Or what about William Zillman this year? In an Elliott gameplan there's no room for someone who seems to pop up all over the field.

Now, that worked for the Raiders of 2003 because all the forwards were in peak, and I mean peak form. Once the forwards started deteriorating, some started leaving and so on, the plan was exposed and Elliott looked completely lost, like he had no idea what to do next. That I suppose is the essential crux of the matter. Coaching defence, he's fantastic at, and an Elliott-coached team will, for the most part, always be in with a chance in most matches. But he has trouble when it comes to attack, something we've seen with the Raiders showing better attack in 12 games than they have in 3 years.

Elliott is a myth, and is being exposed big time.

Despite that, he's not the worst coach in the competition. Chris Anderson, save for one pretty damn good performance, is a moral to take out the title. The Chooks have been woeful for most of the year.

Latest posts