What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Soccer international outrated by 4 NRL games this week

B-Tron 3000

Juniors
soccer is a minor sport. its doing well by taking the place of union with the success of the socceroos. be interesting to see which sport out of those 2 fails.
:lol: :crazy:

Dally, you have no understanding of what you are talking about.

Football (soccer) will win the battle in the end. It's inevitable.

Sport is business, and there ain't no bigger business in the world than football.

Plus, the people running football are businessmen who know what they are doing. Makes a big difference.

gottabegood

Juniors
:lol: :crazy:

Dally, you have no understanding of what you are talking about.

Football (soccer) will win the battle in the end. It's inevitable.

Sport is business, and there ain't no bigger business in the world than football.

Plus, the people running football are businessmen who know what they are doing. Makes a big difference.

Well the US are the global monster of big business, and where does soccer sit there........on it's mostly boring ass.

Thomas

First Grade
Well the US are the global monster of big business, and where does soccer sit there........on it's mostly boring ass.

Really?

Are you sure about that?

Not as big as NFL, NBA or ML Baseball...but then they've had a head start. MLS is pretty darn big.

The big problem for soccer (and a lot of sports) in the USA is ad companies like games with a lovely fat break every 5-10 minutes such as a time out or a change of innings...that way they can shove ads in there.

Soccer games don't have these breaks....

gottabegood

Juniors
Really?

Are you sure about that?

Not as big as NFL, NBA or ML Baseball...but then they've had a head start. MLS is pretty darn big.

The big problem for soccer (and a lot of sports) in the USA is ad companies like games with a lovely fat break every 5-10 minutes such as a time out or a change of innings...that way they can shove ads in there.

Soccer games don't have these breaks....

So what your saying is that big business via ads have marginalised soccer in the US.

Please read this slowly, and look out the window, "Mum, why am I so dumb".

Misty Bee

First Grade
How will Soccer kill League when soccer is a SUMMER sport?

Cricket hasn't killed League yet - has it?

There's a soccer club there giving a ludicrous amount of money for 'past his prime' Becks isn't there?
There's a lot of money in soccer there now and it shows in their consistent World Cup qualifying. So big business in the US is soccer friendly and the sport is obviously picking up although it will never be number one there. But does it have to be?

How will Soccer kill League when soccer is a SUMMER sport?

Cricket hasn't killed League yet - has it?

It won't. The A League has purposely avoided a war and besides, it wants to align itself with the European transfer window anyway given that local players still want to play there. This will be the case for at least the next twenty years imo, if not for good. Why compete in an already overcrowded winter market anyway?

gurudave

Juniors
Comparing league games tv ratings on free to air and fox to a 3rd string side soccer friendly on fox is sounding a bit desperate to prove a point?? That's about all I can gather from the creation of this thread!

Football (soccer) is young and on the rise and in it's third year the average A League crowd was only 1,200 less than the average NRL crowd.

League and Football are my favorite sports and it will be great to see their average crowds and TV viewing figures climb above the poorest excuse for a game rugby union.

Schillaci

Juniors
the season will get longer but it will always be summer.

imagine having to stop the competition for 4-6 weeks every second year for the asian/world cup.

Actually, the A League is young, before it there was the NSL.

I don't think Soccer is a threat and it won't be for some time. I doubt they'll move from Summer for many moons...

gurudave

Juniors
The A League is the national competition yes. And it is young. The NSL had small crowds and was operating in a time when the national team wasn't as prolific and popular. Soccer isn't a thread to league and hopefully they can both prosper :)

t-ba

Post Whore
There's a soccer club there giving a ludicrous amount of money for 'past his prime' Becks isn't there?
There's a lot of money in soccer there now and it shows in their consistent World Cup qualifying. So big business in the US is soccer friendly and the sport is obviously picking up although it will never be number one there. But does it have to be?

The US Qualifies consistently because their given a saloon passage through CONCANAF.

the season will get longer but it will always be summer.

imagine having to stop the competition for 4-6 weeks every second year for the asian/world cup.

I dont see any reason why it would have to stop.

None( or very few) of the players from the A-league would be in either competition.

Also there could still be a date clash with the Asian cup as one if the windows is January for it to be held.

JW

Coach
Soccer is no threat to Rugby League in this country. Infact, out of all the football codes these are the two that compliment each other the most in various ways.

Aussie Soccer, under its current setup, is only a threat to the Pura Cup (it's true, crowds have dropped from 15 to 5) and Puntmonkey interntionals. And given the top-heavy nature of Australian Union, Soccer's doing a marvellous to date of helping ride the the game into the ground.

gottabegood

Juniors

Firstly note what t-ba highlights.

I don't mind soccer, playing it is fun, but as a spectator, at the highest professional (overly defensive) level, TV wise , it mostly sucks. The amount of times I've set myself to watch a game and come away disappointed ranks at about the equivalent of Rugby Union @ 85%.
I very much enjoyed the Aussies ride through the world cup, but my eyes bled when I tried to watch the other super powers plying their boring trade.

There is no doubt Soccer is better live than on TV, but I've never been a huge fan of games that allows the ball to do most of the work ( e.g. I'm a huge boxing fan).

Now the other posting was basically implying that because it's bigger it's better, well you can shove that theory up your puppet like ass.

NSW and QLD people, having been involved in 4 codes for long periods seem to me to be the best judges of what is good and bad. And a healthy percentage know that League is sh*t hot compared to the other sports.....even after 100 years of propaganda heavily weighted against League (and has intensified in the last 10).

Latest posts