What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Soccer international outrated by 4 NRL games this week

:lol: :crazy:

Dally, you have no understanding of what you are talking about.

Football (soccer) will win the battle in the end. It's inevitable.

Sport is business, and there ain't no bigger business in the world than football.

Plus, the people running football are businessmen who know what they are doing. Makes a big difference.

if soccer is invinceable, why has it failed so many times before?

when no one is watching on TV it will be a struggle to survive.

Comparing league games tv ratings on free to air and fox to a 3rd string side soccer friendly on fox is sounding a bit desperate to prove a point?? That's about all I can gather from the creation of this thread!

Football (soccer) is young and on the rise and in it's third year the average A League crowd was only 1,200 less than the average NRL crowd.

League and Football are my favorite sports and it will be great to see their average crowds and TV viewing figures climb above the poorest excuse for a game rugby union.

no i compared RL club games shown on fox with a soccer international shown on Fox.

i agree its not fair to RL to compare a club games vs international but there you go.

They've made it to the final 16 twice in their history...Their record is nearly as poor as ours!

Considering their rebirth in the sport and WC entry since 1990 plus considering the quality of more established opposition, that's a reasonable result imo.

t-ba

Post Whore
Considering their rebirth in the sport and WC entry since 1990 plus considering the quality of more established opposition, that's a reasonable result imo.

CONCACAF has three and a half qualifying spots...There's one quality side in the division besides the US in Mexico. It's no achievement beating Nicaragua and Antigua to get to the World Cup Finals...Their world cup record is terrible. Their first trip to the final 16 was on the back of a repecharge and a losing record in the group stages.

2002 was a superb effort and of that there is no doubt however. But they aren't much chop despite FIFA doing everything for them!

Firstly note what t-ba highlights.

I don't mind soccer, playing it is fun, but as a spectator, at the highest professional (overly defensive) level, TV wise , it mostly sucks. The amount of times I've set myself to watch a game and come away disappointed ranks at about the equivalent of Rugby Union @ 85%.
I very much enjoyed the Aussies ride through the world cup, but my eyes bled when I tried to watch the other super powers plying their boring trade.

There is no doubt Soccer is better live than on TV, but I've never been a huge fan of games that allows the ball to do most of the work ( e.g. I'm a huge boxing fan).

Now the other posting was basically implying that because it's bigger it's better, well you can shove that theory up your puppet like ass.

NSW and QLD people, having been involved in 4 codes for long periods seem to me to be the best judges of what is good and bad. And a healthy percentage know that League is sh*t hot compared to the other sports.....even after 100 years of propaganda heavily weighted against League (and has intensified in the last 10).

Sorry I'm confused a bit now but was I meant to have implied bigger is better?
On your next point, you're right, NSW & QLD fans are the best judges for the reasons you have stated. You'll see on this forum that many fans have a strong to marginal (at least) interest in soccer. All my RL mates are following (to some degree) the A League and support a PL team. I never suggested anywhere that RL was under any threat and the codes will never compete due to seasonal structures which I think will never change. If anything the AFL has more to lose cos for the first time Victoria may have a genuine challenger. Victory appear to be loved down there, from my living room at least anyway.

sooperdooper

First Grade
Dallym...your a complete tool! :)
you are so insecure....Football is not a direct threat to the NRL. Sure the Socceroos get all the spotlight and great crowds and sponsors. But the direct threat to the NRL are:
1. The NRL itself
2. AFL

Football is much larger than RL will ever be..... so keep on dreaming.

Thomas

First Grade
So what your saying is that big business via ads have marginalised soccer in the US.

Please read this slowly, and look out the window, "Mum, why am I so dumb".

Errr....no. I am saying it is a big problem for soccer taking off in a big way in the USA. Like Australia, the number of soccer players in the USA is huge. Bigger than american football apparently.

Perhaps Yanks, like Aussies, aren't enthralled by a 0-0 draw. That's why I don't watch soccer.

CONCACAF has three and a half qualifying spots...There's one quality side in the division besides the US in Mexico. It's no achievement beating Nicaragua and Antigua to get to the World Cup Finals...Their world cup record is terrible. Their first trip to the final 16 was on the back of a repecharge and a losing record in the group stages.

2002 was a superb effort and of that there is no doubt however. But they aren't much chop despite FIFA doing everything for them!

In 1990 they lost to a near full time goal (1 nil) to Italy in Italy. Maybe it was just because of that game but I thought they had a pretty good tournament. Obviously memory colours things nicely sometimes.

gregstar

Referee
Perhaps Yanks, like Aussies, aren't enthralled by a 0-0 draw. That's why I don't watch soccer.
soccer certainly doesn't appeal to me either wank engine.

but at least soccer players don't pretend to be what they aren't.

i'd rather watch a 0-0 effort than a digby 33-27 penalty goal shootout involving limp-wristers pretending to be tough.

Dallym...your a complete tool! :)
you are so insecure....Football is not a direct threat to the NRL. Sure the Socceroos get all the spotlight and great crowds and sponsors. But the direct threat to the NRL are:
1. The NRL itself
2. AFL

Football is much larger than RL will ever be..... so keep on dreaming.

someone suggested i post this on here so it was done to remind league fans that despite BS from the AFL, we still are the number 1 sport on TV by a long way

football in this country is a joke. i dont care how big it is in italy because i dont live there.

RL will always be bigger than soccer here, so why would i care about elsehwere.

B-Tron 3000

Juniors
Well the US are the global monster of big business, and where does soccer sit there........on it's mostly boring ass.

ok, firstly, my comments were directed at Dally, who claimed it will be interesting to see which of Union or soccer fails. Funny stuff.

Second, it's a bad example to use the US to show why soccer won't succeed here. In fact, if anything, the example of the US shows why soccer won't fail here. There are a few reasons:

#1: Business

In the US soccer competes with NFL, NBA, Baseball and Ice Hockey. Depending on where in the US you are situated you are looking at 2-3 HUGE sports and 1 big one. Their markets are massive.

Then you have College sports. College sport in the US is just as big as the pro stuff. So you are looking at about 6-7 HUGE markets that soccer has to beat. Even still it is going ok. Not great, but ok.

What does the A-League have to compete with, in terms of business money? It's a much smaller market, but it also has much less competition, and the competition is run by old boys and mates instead of proper businessmen.

#2: Cultural

Soccer in America is still largely Latin-based. It is a very poor cousin in terms of social standing, and therefore corporate dollars, when compared to the other sports.

In Australia, soccer is the one sport that truly represents our cultural mix. The European immigrants that were looked down upon in the 50s are now not only accepted, but celebrated. They own and run successful businesses, and they love soccer.

#3: Cultural reason part 2

Americans are notoriously inward-looking. On the whole their level of understanding about the rest of the world is piss-poor. That's why they call the Baseball the World Series. They couldn't give a toss about soccer because they are happy with their own sports, and they are content sitting back thinking they are the biggest (true) and the best (wrong).

Australia, on the other hand, longs for acceptance. You can say it's not true, but visitors to our country will tell you different. And it shows in our sports. We want to say "hey, we get more gold medals per capita than other country". We want to beat the world. And we know that nothing will satisfy us until we prove ourselves at soccer, becaue it's the biggest sport in the world. We are too competitive to NOT try and make soccer big here.

Latest posts