What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Soccer world cup could effect the 2014 NRL football season

markstan

Juniors
Hands up who would pay $100 to see Saudi arabia v Canada, come on then speak up those who disagree. Dont get me wrong I dont mind watching a few games of Soccer occasionally, would probably even attend a decent game, i will watch a few games esp the finals in Germany 06 but Soccer wont be a winner in Australia.

Everyone in Australia From the Prime minister down think the WC should be in Australia what a flamin joke.

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
markstan said:
I dont know what you guys have been smoking but there aint no way each game will come close to getting sold out. Paying $100+ for some sh*tty little game i'm sorry to disappoint but Australians wont buy that crap who will pay $70+ to see tunisia and Costa Rica play? Even the final would struggle to sell out in regard to the fact it would be either at MCG or Telstra and I cant imagine australians will shell out the Final price, Visitors may.

As for the America remark Fifa admitted that WC USA 94? didn't work as hoped. But lets look at USA pop 250 mil and situated a short distance from Mexico, Brazil, Argentina etc people who care about Soccer. Last time I checked Aus popn was 20 mil, unless you get a massive number of Asians who'll come to watch it will be a failure.

I cant believe the people of Australia that think a world cup could work in Aus. Grow up you stupid morons and get a life. What pack of losers will pay 70-100 dollars to see a couple of no name hacks play soccer get real. Thank bloody god none of you idiots are in charge of a company not even the most opptimistic of analyst would consider it to be possibly a success.

LOL!

It gets better.

Stop having a pop at markstan he's spot on here no farker in Australia is going to watch soccer when it's football season!

Okay it's The Knights v NQ a full house and live on the box or on the other hand Brazil are playing Italy or some other country nobody ever heard of!

I know what I'd be doing watching the football!!

Go the knights!!

Go Joey J!!

*Paul*

Juniors
markstan, 18000 or something turned up to watch Nobody vs Nobdoy in the Rugby World Cup - in Tasmania. A couple of my neices went to absolute non-events simply because they were part of the Olympics.

Enough hype, people will show up for anything.

Sea_Eagles_Rock

First Grade
$200m per city to have the World cup soccer in '14? Sounds cheap to me. Do you know how much exposure let alone tourism for the event that would bring? Massive event.

There is no way in a bulls roar we would get it. But if it came at the cost about $1bn I think the government would jump at the chance.

Support for soccer would also boom. So for RL it would most certainly be a very bad thing.

Yes it would be a bad thing for football the last thing we want is any more of our kids playing or getting interested stupid bloody soccer it's a friggin sissy's game our kids may as well take up ballet dancing!!

Australians must look at the bigger picture and stick with football we've got the NRL best football competition in the world stupid bloody soccer is a androtops game!!

Rant over

For now

miccle

Bench
markstan said:
I dont know what you guys have been smoking but there aint no way each game will come close to getting sold out. Paying $100+ for some sh*tty little game i'm sorry to disappoint but Australians wont buy that crap who will pay $70+ to see tunisia and Costa Rica play?

:lol:

80,000 turned up to watch Australia play, adn those two sides you mentioned are better than us!

Love these two merkins going for it over soccer. Absolutely hilarious.

markstan

Juniors
IanRitchie said:
LOL!

It gets better.

What is the problem now, The article I assume is official!

Prices for the current WC for the crappy matches are 35 euros right or about $60+ the match prices wont come down they will increase. In 2014 a few years time $70+ will be at best, expected.

How about instead of making your childish two word replies, come up with a bloody reasonable response. You have not made logical replies people may turn up for events but no one will be stupid enough to waste a couple of hundred on watching a couple of soccer games. How many families will be spending half a grand to rock up to a match?

I continue to here snide comments but not 1 of you have said you would pay about $100 to watch say Saudi Arabia and Canada. Which is what it will take.

Having said all that I wouldn't mind the world cup coming bring some good publicity for Australia but would probably allienate a lot of current fans. Also in regard to my predicted failure of the event in some aspects, it would hurt Soccer Aus and might assist League. It really could potentially ruin Soccer Australia an organisation which is basically poor.

Lets just think for a minute the Aus team aint that great, what happens which is quite probable that they get a touch up and dont win a game. That most likely woudn't be good.

Canada would never make the world cup.

not only would we sell out every match at the world cup but we would have to have some kind of lottery to see who gets the tickets. thats how in demand it will be. Bigger than the Olympics.

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
markstan said:
I continue to here snide comments but not 1 of you have said you would pay about $100 to watch say Saudi Arabia and Canada. Which is what it will take.

Having said all that I wouldn't mind the world cup coming bring some good publicity for Australia but would probably allienate a lot of current fans. Also in regard to my predicted failure of the event in some aspects, it would hurt Soccer Aus and might assist League. It really could potentially ruin Soccer Australia an organisation which is basically poor.

I'd pay $100 to watch any World Cup match. For matches after the first round you could add a zero to that figure, for me. Hypothetically.

There is no way on earth a world cup would ruin the FFA. How could it alienate current football fans? Thats what people said about the A-League. In one season it has pissed over any of the old NSL seasons.

Remember the Rugby World Cup? They played it in Aussie Rules/League/Cricket country, and it was by far the most successful World Cup. I think the ARU pocketed something like $50 million from it. It's already been mentioned that people went to it as it was an event - theatre goers. On top of that the Football World Cup would bring 100x more followers to the country than the RWC did. They don't need Aussies going to it - the international contingent could pack out the stadiums. On top of that, who says they would play it in June/July/August...what about October and November (if it always gets played in July etc, forgive me). Only the odd Tri-Nations matches are on then.

Doesn't matter anyway. It ain't going to happen, for the reasons Timbo stated.

markstan

Juniors
miccle said:
:lol:

80,000 turned up to watch Australia play, adn those two sides you mentioned are better than us!

Love these two merkins going for it over soccer. Absolutely hilarious.

Well moron that could well because we live in australia and there would be a greater affiliation with that country, than some other country genius. ohh and Costa Rica aren't that great and Tunisia are basically on about par with Aus.

Shall i take it that those who are opposed would be more than happy to front up with $100 dollars to see saudi Arabia v Canada.

Lets get this straight i dont doubt that the finals would sell out. But you would have to be an inbreed optimistic genius to think there will be rioting in the street for people to fork out money for Saudi Arabia v Canada get bloody real. Welcome to the real world idiots it's not the land of make believe.

Australia is isolated I have travelled and the 1 complaint heard about Australia is it's too far away thus we will need many Australians going and why would they when they can just flick on the match on the TV?

It has to be in the European league's off season!

Sharkie™

Juniors
now this is what u call forward thinking, for now i dont really care about the 2014 season when my team are f**king up the current one.

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
f**k the Euros. How dare they think of scheduling their offseason and World Cup to clash with the NRL?

Blatter will be getting a strongly worded email from me first thing in the morning.

I've got Super 14 to watch.

gregstar

Referee
sharksman said:
now this is what u call forward thinking, for now i dont really care about the 2014 season when my team are f**king up the current one.
don't worry - your team won't exist by then. you'll be part of us - and loving us.

gregstar

Referee
it's already started - wincorp will own the rest of your share soon & you'll be completely broken away. good luck with that. LOL!

legend

Coach
Broadcasting times would also count against Australia. Games would be televised to the big markets at odd hours and this was a problem in Japan/South Korea in 2002. We share the same GMT of +10.

We'd have the stadiums to host it without a doubt. Upgrades to Parra, Robina, Dairy Farmers, Canberra and EA would see us in with a big shot and I'm sure not all the stadiums in Japan/South Korea had a capacity of at least 40k.

Latest posts