What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Soliman still chasing Mundine

sydraider

First Grade
Soliman still chasing Mundine

October 30, 2006
SAM Soliman has upped the ante in his bid to get a rematch with Anthony Mundine by moving to the super middleweight division and being ranked just two places behind "The Man".
Soliman, who described Mundine as an "Australian icon", lost a contentious split points decision to the Sydney boxer five years ago.
Victorian Soliman has grown tired of waiting for a world title crack at middleweight.
Frustrated by the WBC and WBO middleweight champion Jermaine Taylor's refusal to fight him, Soliman has successfully applied to the WBA for a super middleweight world ranking.
Based on an excellent recent record in which he has won 19 of 20 fights since losing to Mundine, the WBA ranked him No.3, just two places below Mundine.
With the WBA moving Mikkel Kessler to the status of super champion after his recent victory over Markus Beyer, the WBA's regular super middleweight belt is now vacant.
While American Jeff Lacy separates the two Australians at No.2 in the rankings, Soliman's manager Stuart Duncan hopes the WBA will sanction a fight for the vacant championship between Mundine and his charge.
Ideally, Duncan would like to see the rematch staged in Australia early next year.
Soliman, who turns 33 in two weeks, wanted to accelerate his prospects of winning a world title and, as someone who has fought in a division as heavy as cruiserweight, he was comfortable with the prospect of fighting at super middleweight.
"At the end of the day Jermaine Taylor avoided me at all costs, going up to super middleweight is no big deal," Soliman said.
"At the age of 32, I'm that close to retirement, I've only got three years left in me, so I've got to get a world title sooner than later.
"If Mundine wants to fight me I'd take the fight like that, without question, it wouldn't even be an issue, it would be any time, any place."
Soliman, who had a handful of bouts before as a super middleweight, will tackle tough Mexican Enrique Ornelas in California on November 17.
Ornelas, whom Soliman was scheduled to fight earlier in the year before the Australian was injured, boasts a very respectable record of 25 wins (15 KOs) and two losses.
It will be the first fight in eight months for Soliman, who spent part of that time working in a Bollywood movie in India.
While he lost to Mundine in a fight for the vacant IBF Pan Pacific super middleweight in Wollongong in September 2001, Soliman has developed respect for the slick Sydney fighter.
"He has become a real Australian icon in boxing and really has put his name on the map as one of Australia's best boxers," Soliman said of Mundine.
AAP

Should be an interesting fight if it were to happen, we all know what happened last time they met, a grossly underprepared Soliman was robbed of a rightful decision.

$10 Mundine ducks him at every oppurtunity and prefers to have another money maker with green. :lol:

Andrew057 your thoughts? ;-)

spider

Coach
Khoder Nassar was not giving much away again tonight as usual. Referring to "what the fans would want". He then made reference to the WBA and how they sanction who the opponent will be.

Lacy is ranked at # 2, with Soloman at # 3. IMO i would want it to be Lacy - he has achieved his spot in the current division as Soloman has acquired his ranking by moving division.

Either way i would still like to see both Soloman and Lacy have a crack at Choc.

Soloman may have under estimated Mundine in 2001, but Mundine to his credit has come a long way since then.

I have been a Green fan since day dot and think Danny has never been the same since his dehydration in the ring - hence i dont think he would combat Mundines speed in a rematch unfortunately.

Its all about the title for Choc - then the purse.

He seems to have put a lid on that ridiculous ego he once posessed. He has the talent, he just needs to fully develop the smarts as a complete package mentally and ring wise to be a lasting champion.

Collateral

Coach
Mundine wont fight Soliman unless he loses another fight or is offered massive money.

It would be the best for him [Mundine] to fight Lacy who is a big draw card in the US.

spider

Coach
Collateral said:
It would be the best for him [Mundine] to fight Lacy who is a big draw card in the US.

I cant say i have seen Lacy fight.

If anyone has - what are your thoughts on him [Lacy]?

Collateral

Coach
He got completely manhandled when he fough Joe Calzaghe last year I think it was, which sort of became Joe claim to fame.

I havent seen him fight otherwise but he is well liked in the US and was compared to Tyson in some ways, only not as good.

Mundine should UD him.

spider

Coach
I wonder what has to happen to see Superchamp - v - Superman [as Choc likes to call himself] rematch?

That i would enjoy watching agian - i still cant get over how big Kessler is for the Super Middleweight size.

He has a massive frame.

El Diablo

Post Whore
SpiderShark said:
I cant say i have seen Lacy fight.

If anyone has - what are your thoughts on him [Lacy]?

he can take a punch and hits hard

throws a lot too

i think he's stop Mundine

spider

Coach
El Diablo said:
he can take a punch and hits hard

throws a lot too

i think he's stop Mundine

I thought the same of Danny - how would you see a Green - v - Lacy fight go in your opinion?

Mong

Post Whore
sydraider said:
"
Should be an interesting fight if it were to happen, we all know what happened last time they met, a grossly underprepared Soliman was robbed of a rightful decision.

Oh please.. build a bridge.. Throwing more punches doesn't mean you win. Mundine hass improved out of sight since then, he was very new and green in those days, i don't think he would have aproblem if they meet again. Soliman often takes fights at short notice and he does it well, calling him grossly underprepared is a stretch at best.

$10 Mundine ducks him at every oppurtunity and prefers to have another money maker with green. :lol:

I'd prefer to see him fight lacy rather then Sam, Sam should continue at Middleweight, it's all a money making scheme from the Soliman camp..

Collateral

Coach
I wouldnt be terribly interested in a Mundine Soliman fight either. Mundine could possibly stop him this time around.

Mundine VS Lacy is something I would pay money to watch.

miccle

Bench
Mundine vs Lacy is being billed as the most likely bout, and imo it's the best one for everybody. I still think Mundine would get the better of Soliman if they were to fight (only this time it would be a proper victory).

Lacy is a quality fighter, though a very different style to Mundine. Above all I think it'd be interesting to see how Lacy handles Mundine's speed, and how Choc handles Lacey's power and ability to take a few.

Lacy to KO him if they meet imo. If one of his big punches connect in the early rounds while he still has plenty of energy, choc will be out.

El Diablo

Post Whore
whoever he fights it will not be for a legit world title

this WBA Super Champ sh*t is a farce

Collateral

Coach
miccle said:
Lacy to KO him if they meet imo. If one of his big punches connect in the early rounds while he still has plenty of energy, choc will be out.

Whoa! Deja Vu'...Danny Green anyone? lol ;-)

Mong

Post Whore
Collateral said:
Whoa! Deja Vu'...Danny Green anyone? lol ;-)

Yeah, funny isn’t it.. Green hit him a few times and he was fine. He got hit a few times last night and was fine. Lacy’s trademark is the exact same shot that Mundine won the fight with last night, and we saw in the green fight that he can take a bunch of good solid body shots without a problem.

argy-bargy

Juniors
found a little interview with soliman on this subject, i got it from:

http://www.eastsideboxing.com/news.php?p=8746&more=1

03.11.06 - By Tony Nobbs:

Eastside Boxing: Firstly Sam, you have been chasing a fight with Jermain Taylor but you are now moving up in weight. Why?

Sam Soliman: That was my dream fight – Jermain Taylor for the Middleweight Championship Of The World! We chased him but he doesn't want to fight me. He's now fighting other guys so I'm moving on. I can't wait around for Jermain Taylor. Maybe it's good he didn't take the fight. I might now get the chance to avenge my loss to Anthony and win a world title. I try and look at the positives.

ESB: How confident are you of the Mundine fight happening?

SS: It's all looking good, it's not guaranteed, but we have got a number three ranking with the WBA. To finally get a crack, it's always been my dream fight for a world title.

ESB: How do you feel about moving up in weight to get a shot?

SS: I feel comfortable. I've fought at that weight. I've fought cruiserweights. It might get me more fights. I might not get ducked so much. Normally when fighters move up in weight, they lose something, so guys might be prepared to fight me.

ESB: If the title fight with Mundine happens and you win, you will then be mandatory for “Super Champion” Mikkel Kessler...

SS: That's providing the fight happens. I first have to worry about a 6'1 Mexican. I'm focusing on Ornealas at the moment in my training. But the plan is, cornering Mundine now that I am targeting super middleweight. If we fight and I become world champion, then yeah, who ever. To be the best and become Super Champion, I don't care who I fight. Anyone. Anywhere. Anytime. I will go in confident.

ESB: Tell us about your first fight with Mundine.

SS: I took it on a weeks notice and I finished stronger than him. It was very close. This time I have to make it so it's not (close).

ESB: What do you think of Mundine as a fighter now?

SS: He has always been good, he has always had talent. He has got better. Really, he has been the reason why boxing in Australia has kicked, he deserves credit for what he has achieved. It don't matter whether people like him or not for what he says, they still pay to watch. He has got people back in to boxing and you have to give him credit.

ESB: Tell us about your fight with Winky Wright.

SS: It was a great fight for the fans. They got in to it. I trained so hard for that fight. I worked so hard in the gym. But I tried a new diet and it back fired on me, I usually enter the ring at 168 pounds but I ended up weighing lighter than I did at the weigh in. I ate the same food I did in training when I was making weight, just more of it. It didn't work. Still, I pushed Winky all the way so it's very pleasing to know I can mix it with the best pound for pound in the world. I can tell you, it was a great feeling hearing the crowd chant “Winky, Winky” when he entered the ring, then chant “Sammy, Sammy” when I left the ring!

ESB: What do you think of the decision?

SS: If it was in Australia, I get the decision. If it's in America, he gets it. That's how it is. It was close. I'm not looking back.

ESB: Tell us about your next fight, with Enrique Ornealas.

SS: He is a tough Mexican, 25 and 2, I have to take him seriously. If I don't take a 26 year old six foot one Mexican seriously I could very easily find myself in a lot of bother. (Laughing) Actually, I'm cooking Mexican now for lunch, I plan to eat Mexican on November 17.

ESB: You recently traveled to Chicago with Paul Briggs as a sparing partner for his WBC light heavyweight title bout with Tomasz Adamek. Tell us about that.

SS: It was great sparring, perfect work for me. To keep me at my best, to work in there with a big strong light heavyweight.

ESB: You have traveled the world as a sparring partner, working with the best for several years. Who has provided you with your best sparring?

SS: I would say a guy that is not well known, that hasn't got the name or the recognition yet that he probably deserves - Rudy Markussen is the hardest sparring I have had. He is the only guy that I can say has out boxed me. He doesn't seem to show it when he fights, for whatever reason, but I must say he has a lot of skill. Some days I'd get over him, other days he'd get over me. That is why I'd always fly to Denmark to work with him.

ESB: Finally Sam, you are now 32. How long do you think you fight for?

SS: I've got another four years. I haven't been punched too much. I'm always in shape, I look after myself, I can go for a while. I'm a bit like Bernard Hopkins, I promised my wife when I'll retire. Bernard promised his mother when he'd retire.

Collateral

Coach
Thats a pretty good site...I post there sometimes, having an argument on how overrated Calzaghe is.

Mong...its weird how quickly people forget those things.

sydraider

First Grade
Mong said:
Oh please.. build a bridge.. Throwing more punches doesn't mean you win. Mundine hass improved out of sight since then, he was very new and green in those days, i don't think he would have aproblem if they meet again. Soliman often takes fights at short notice and he does it well, calling him grossly underprepared is a stretch at best.

I'd prefer to see him fight lacy rather then Sam, Sam should continue at Middleweight, it's all a money making scheme from the Soliman camp..

If you remember correctly, soliman was a substitute for that fight against mundine, grossly underprepared he was, yet still took him the distance and won, remember the crowds reaction at the decision?

Yes Mundine has improved since then, yet still does not hold a belt, still hasnt beaten anyone with any true credentials.

Build a bridge? I will when he beats the likes of Kessler, Calzaghe or Lacy.

Classic example, Mundne knocks out a no name argentinian, revels in all his glory pfft.

Soliman is kicking his super middle campaign against a mexican with a 25-2 record.

Mundine is a smart man, I commend him for that but until Mundine beats quality opposition in this division, I wont rate him or give him his dues, therefore that bridge wont be built until he does so. You dont like that Mong then tough, ha ha, revel in his victory over danny green.

Mong

Post Whore
Standard anti mundane rant there.

I remember the crowds reaction.. so what?? People not liking Choc in those days, Imagine my surprise… he was pretty popular the other night.. Things have changed.

What’s amusing is we heard all this dribble before the Green fight.. now we are going to hear it all again, after mundine beats Soliman we will no doubt here it again when the next fight comes up from certain folk.

Sam is fighting a 25-2, who is this guy? You go on about Choc fighting a no body.. Who is Soliman fighting?

Your story is full of holes form a bitter bitter person..

Once again, build a bridge.

I hope Green win a title at LH and he has a shot coming up by all reports.

I hope Soliman gets another shot at winky and can win a title at Middlweight that he deserves and I hope Choc can get a proper title at Super Middle..

It’s a pity other Aussie boxing fans are to caught up in their hatred to support all our guys on the world stage.

P.s.. Soliman didn't win.. you must have missed the result...

HevyDevy

Coach
Mong said:
Oh please.. build a bridge.. Throwing more punches doesn't mean you win.

Yes!! Thankyou!! Someone else who actually watched the Mundine-Soliman fight properly.

Soliman threw about 4000 punches to Mundine's 2 but the none of Sam's connected while Mundine's did.

I don't see how dominating the punches thrown count constitutes dominating the fight.

Soliman didn't connect enough to deserve that decision.

Latest posts