What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Solving the Diving issue

Luckily for Sam burgess SBW got up after being smacked in the head in the 2014 prelim. Safe to say Sam would've gone close to missing the GF if SBW didn't get to his feet to play the ball despite being cracked across the chops.
I believe that one of the refs saw it and said "Penalty, Penalty" but the other referee refused to blow it since SBW was standing up and ready to play the ball. That other ref? Cummins. Just a coincidence I guess :sarcasm:.

Lambretta

First Grade
I'm not convinced

dog shots that are missed shouldn't go unpunished

Being cited by the MRC does nothing for the side that had the act performed against them.

Imagine Lamb's dog shot on Hanley (88 Grand Final) happening this year and also being missed on the field.

with the technology available, there would be an absolute outcry if it was allowed to happen.

Compare the number of dogs shots vs the number of times players are now feigning injury and you have your answer

You had to go back almost 30 years to mention one you remember

I can't remember one that wasn't spotted on the field at the time it happened

I could find 30 occasions this season already that someone has gone down holding their jaw, waiting for the replay to be shown three time before playing the ball. Some were penalised, some were not. They're an awful blight on our game and the fact some people are deflecting criticism away from their own teams rather than joining in the howls of protest amazes me.

If a Roosters player went down hoping for a penalty, I'd boo them and tell them to get on with it. In fact I've done exactly this on a couple of occasions over the years.

If I have an opinion it doesn't just apply to my own teams, or other teams and exclude mine. What is right should apply to all teams, mine included.

taxidriver

Coach
I think you've totally missed the point

I used that example because the dog shot went a long way to deciding a grand final

if the technology was there, chances are lamb would have been sent off and the result very different

the question remains

how would you explain the same thing happening in this years grand final and not using the technology to address what happened?

Last edited:

adamkungl

Immortal
Why do refs need technology to see someone get belted? There are 4 of them ffs.

I understand your point though, and there's no right answer. I don't believe deliberate violent tackles are much of an issue in the game today, but it could be opened to exploitation.

Also, it's worth noting it's not just high tackles where this occurs. There have been countless instances this season of players dramatically flopping to the ground on their tryline after being lightly brushed by a decoy runner, to get a try looked at that they had no realstic hope of stopping.

taxidriver

Coach

I understand your point though, and there's no right answer. I don't believe deliberate violent tackles are much of an issue in the game today, but it could be opened to exploitation.

Also, it's worth noting it's not just high tackles where this occurs. There have been countless instances this season of players dramatically flopping to the ground on their tryline after being lightly brushed by a decoy runner, to get a try looked at that they had no realstic hope of stopping.

with you 100% on that last point in particular

T-Boon

Coach
I just heard Dylan Napa "talk" on the news. He needs to learn how to speak properly. He went to school right? He sounds like he is taking lessons from Pearce.

getsmarty

Immortal
I just heard Dylan Napa "talk" on the news. He needs to learn how to speak properly. He went to school right? He sounds like he is taking lessons from Pearce.

Too many head knocks..LOL.... No Rhodes Scholar...Good player though.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Great Tigers dive in first half tonight. Out for the count holding his neck then bounced to his feet to start a push and shove with burgess lol.

Maximus

Coach
Yes I forgot about that one.
Where he left the field and took no further part in,the game.
What a pussy.

Nah the one 2-3 weeks ago where he was lying motionless on the ground. Thought there must have been a sniper taking shots at players. Suddenly the whistle blows for a penalty and in one motion he jumps up off the ground and into the air like he was auditioning for the next Toyota commercial.

Another Broncos player did the same thing the next week. Think it was Boyd.

wibble

Bench

Well said.

I get frustrated when violent acts take out a player in my team and not much happens in the game. I expect some players who stay down after being hit looking for a penalty feel some of the injustice that rewards future teams much more than the current one when there is foul play.

The answer to that is to properly penalise players for really bad tackles with appropriate suspensions. In some ways the NRL has already done this well with many of the worst acts of violence basically unseen in modern times. And it may still seem like rewarding future teams, but if suspensions were predictable and appropriate, most players would be careful to not infringe in the first place.

Maybe also allow sin bins for foul play. But still at the discretion of the on field referee, not from a bunker or video ref over rule. Then players would generally not use foul play (a lot has already been eliminated, shoulder charges disappeared over night, chicken wings and genuine crushers are very rare- we could do with a crack down on trips).

There is a lot of gamesmanship in NRL matches (and between them) but I do think we are softer on foul play than the Super League and it probably does encourage players to stay down in frustration. The Super League referees are (rightly in my opinion) often seen as superior to ours, but mostly it is because they are harsher on players, confident in their decision making (as they are scrutinised a lot less even when they make howlers, as they inevitably still do) and their decisions are backed up at the judiciary, and by league fans and journalists (more so than here).

I don't like seeing players miss games, it weakens our comp and viewing experience, and I'd never want a player like James Graham to have to "tone it down" too much to stay in the NRL. But a more consistent MRC, judiciary, and confident referees who penalise more often until players learn, would go a long way to eliminating most foul play and therefore eliminating the need to stay down. And in the long run I don't think we'd see too many more penalties or suspensions, players would learn to take care.

I hate penalties, but would much rather we stamp out high shots, even if we risk sometimes penalising a shot that isn't bad, than penalising "play the balls" or penalising teams for tackling around the ball before it is dropped/stripped.

Paullyboy

Coach
Great Tigers dive in first half tonight. Out for the count holding his neck then bounced to his feet to start a push and shove with burgess lol.

Yeah I commented on this in the match day thread. It was David Nofoaluma (who had a brilliant game aside from this moment) who was being an absolute cat and staying down for a penalty when nothing bad had happened, but someone had clearly brushed his head in the tackle at some point (which happens in every single tackle).

One of the Burgess twins was giving it to Nofoaluma about staying down, at which point he sprung to life and threw the ball at him to try and fight back.

I've never been so happy to see a cat exposed for the pathetic piece of shit that they are. Get up, play like a man, and get on with it.

We need more people abusing the players who are deliberately staying down. They are all too stupid and proud to ignore the abuse and it will put an end to it very quickly.

betcats

Referee
How is the tigers winger lying down holding his head acting hurt and then the souths players gives him a spray so he is up in an instant starting a scuffle. Its f**king pissweak the players wont stop so the league has too stop it.

POPEYE

Coach
Do the premiership leading teams use 'lying down' as a ploy, methinks it a sign of frustration more than anything. Not sure the leading coaches are in favour of interrupting momentum and the players that persist with it are grasping at straws

Then again, if every team starts using it as an integral part of interchange management the leading coaches will have to comply . . . ah, the good old days when once you leave the field you're off, none of this fancy Nancy shit

Lambretta

First Grade
How is the tigers winger lying down holding his head acting hurt and then the souths players gives him a spray so he is up in an instant starting a scuffle. Its f**king pissweak the players wont stop so the league has too stop it.

If I'd have been the referee I'd have sent him off for unsportsmanlike conduct

First for laying down and secondly for throwing the ball at an opponents head and trying to instigate a fight and then running away like a f**king coward

It was a piss weak effort all round and he should serve a suspension

Latest posts