What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Some silly season news

Hayabusa

Juniors
Interesting parts in bold
[font=Verdana,Arial]Done deal before silly season starts[/font]
[font=Verdana,Arial] By Peter Fitzgerald Rugby league [/font]
[font=Verdana, arial]Friday, 1 July 2005[/font]

[font=verdana,arial] It's rugby league's version of the Boxing Day sales but most people going on this shopping spree secretly sneak in and take all the top bargains on Christmas Day. [/font] [font=verdana,arial] The NRL's much debated anti- tampering deadline finished at midnight last night, effectively making players coming off contract at the end of the season open slather for rival clubs. [/font]

[font=verdana,arial] But don't expect any major signing announcements today. [/font]

[font=verdana,arial] That would all-but be an admittance of guilt by a club that it has breached the so-called anti- tampering rules which is against NRL guidelines prior to July 1. [/font]

[font=verdana,arial] Speculation has been rife in recent weeks over players negotiating future deals with rival clubs, despite being legally bound to their current club until today. [/font]

[font=verdana,arial] Braith Anasta to the Roosters. [/font]

[font=verdana,arial] Matt Orford to Souths. [/font]

[font=verdana,arial] Both signings will more than likely be announced some time next week. [/font]

[font=verdana,arial] Why? Because the anti- tampering rule is farcical. [/font]

[font=verdana,arial] So much so, in fact, that the NRL itself even advised clubs recently not to announce any serious new recruits today because of the negative portrayal it would have on the anti-tampering deadline. [/font]

[font=verdana,arial] Raiders coach Matt Elliott has never been a fan of the midseason trading period. [/font]

[font=verdana,arial] "The reality of it is is that negotiations go on all the time and it's driven by both parties - managers and clubs," he said yesterday. [/font]

[font=verdana,arial] "There's no doubt about that. I don't think that if I told you it didn't that you'd believe it [so] I think people need to accept that." [/font]

[font=verdana,arial] Trading Period 2005 has been relatively non-eventful for the Raiders. [/font]

[font=verdana,arial] With the exception of Jason Smith, who is still considering his options but will most certainly remain a Raider, Canberra's management have successfully managed to re-sign all the key players they want at the organisation for 2006. [/font]

[font=verdana,arial] It is quite a contrast to last year's circus which dragged on for months with Joel Monaghan and Ruben Wiki. [/font]

[font=verdana,arial] In the end, both players left for rival NRL clubs. [/font]

[font=verdana,arial] Elliott called yesterday for the 'silly season' to be moved to the end of the year, citing distractions to everybody involved in the game - from the players down to the fans. [/font]

[font=verdana,arial] "I still think the [June 30 anti- tampering deadline] date has knobs on it, to be honest with you, for a lot of reasons that were really exemplified last year. [/font]

[font=verdana,arial] "Fans start to question players' commitment to an organisation when they know they are leaving and coaches start to ask the same question. [/font]

[font=verdana,arial] "You'd like to say it's not a massive distraction to the player before or after signing but history tells us that it does affect their application and their focus on the job at hand." [/font]

[font=verdana,arial] A week-long player purchasing concept after the grand final would be ideal in Elliott's eyes. [/font]

[font=verdana,arial] "It would be nice and tidy and the players wouldn't be under the scrutiny they are during the season and fans wouldn't have to ask the questions they ask. [/font]

[font=verdana,arial] "If there was a one-week window after the season, it would certainly prolong the interest of rugby league for another week." [/font]

[font=verdana,arial] The Raiders will announce the signing of two back-rowers in the next week or so to help cover the loss of Ian Hindmarsh, Matt Adamson, Ryan O'Hara and Tyran Smith. [/font]

[font=verdana,arial] But definitely not today. [/font]

[font=verdana,arial] They need time to negotiate first, of course. [/font]

[font=verdana,arial] [/font]

It now seems Campo really isn't in the plans, and when you look at the alleged cash coming off those four listed contracts alone there should have be a fair amount free, so hopefully they deliver us a big name.

legend

Coach
Elliott's plan is majorly flawed as the top players are away on international duty and should not have to worry about negotiating contracts and moving families while they are overseas.

Raider Azz

Bench
legend said:
Elliott's plan is majorly flawed as the top players are away on international duty and should not have to worry about negotiating contracts and moving families while they are overseas.
They are professionals. If they want the big bucks, then they can negoiate and move while they are over seas. It happens all the time in the real world, people change jobs in other parts of the world and have a week to relocate. If they can do it, so can the players.

Boing Boing

Juniors
The players earn a lot more for a lot less time worked. If a businessman can do it, so can a proffessional League player.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
legend said:

The international season only effects a minority of the competition and doesn't effect the clubs and the rest of the players. Why should contract negotiations be made more convenient for rep players?

Macko8

Juniors
two back rowers f**k they dont wanna be PL backrowers. Should be a massive amount of money free with those four players leaving. Maybe two ESL players. Or another couple of islanders. Harrison could be the go.

I'm not expecting anything from our terrible management at the raiders. If they have this much trouble keeping smithy I can't see them nailing a big name.

Hayabusa

Juniors
skeepe said:
Hayabusa, Campese isn't off-contract until next season.

Thats good to hear I remember seeing a lot about him being listed as off contract this year on the Raiders site.

Stuart

Juniors
Hayabusa said:
Thats good to hear I remember seeing a lot about him being listed as off contract this year on the Raiders site.
He was listed as off contract earlier in the season but it now says 2006. Probably just a typo on the raiders site but it caused so much angst.

Macko8

Juniors
raidersfan said:
We won't get Harrison no way. We're a shot for Galea though

just fought about it again. harrison will probably resign with the rabbits. he is on the market though, so ya never know.will probably be galea and some PL backrower from a club like wests. surely it isnt galea.

hrundi99

First Grade
Raider_Azz said:
They are professionals. If they want the big bucks, then they can negoiate and move while they are over seas. It happens all the time in the real world, people change jobs in other parts of the world and have a week to relocate. If they can do it, so can the players.

Exactly.

Think about what the players in the North American major sports have to deal with. They can play for one team one night and another team on the other side of the country (or in a different country) the next night.

It's all very well to say that they get paid a lot more, but the money doesn't stop the disruption to their's and their families lives, not to mention the psychological impact.

The league players are a bunch of whingers if they can't handle that.

legend

Coach
American and European athletes earn far more than their Rugby League counterparts in Australia and if players have a short window for their end of season break (six weeks approx), I'm guessing many don't want to have to sort out their futures so late in the year.

In the NFL, they play a season 9 weeks shorter than the NRL so they have the time to move and so on.

I'm only raising this because clubs, players and player managers have all used this as a reason for the June 30 deadline.

Boing Boing

Juniors
Macko8 said:
just fought about it again. harrison will probably resign with the rabbits. he is on the market though, so ya never know.will probably be galea and some PL backrower from a club like wests. surely it isnt galea.

Who did you fight?

hrundi99

First Grade
legend said:
American and European athletes earn far more than their Rugby League counterparts in Australia and if players have a short window for their end of season break (six weeks approx), I'm guessing many don't want to have to sort out their futures so late in the year.

The money is simply not an issue. It makes some things easier, but it doesn't change the personal element.

They don't do it that way due to the short off-season either.

ausraider

Juniors
waltzing Meninga said:
I'm not expecting anything from our terrible management at the raiders. If they have this much trouble keeping smithy I can't see them nailing a big name.

Can't blame management on this one, apperantly it's Smith's manager who is stuffing things up for little bit extra forhis own pocket the bastard.Hope he chokes on it though.