What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sonny Bill Williams

ByRd

First Grade
Why does every back rower have to be a workhorse??? I would rather a damaging runner and hard hitter who can penetrate the line and hurt the opposition with his defence. We already have our workhorse backrower in Ryan, Sonny is a different type of player.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
He is generally near the top of the metres gained stats and makes plenty of tackles. I don't see how he isn't a workhorse.

Nathan B

Juniors
KniGhTs BaTTLeR said:
His reputation of big hitting is based on 2 games

That's bullsh*t. He averages a great hit every 2-3 games.

He's not putting them on like he used to, but I prefer it that way. No need for them unless the team really needs a boost.

ShineDog

Juniors
watch how many offloads he makes in impossible situations...
few more games and watch out NRL!!

effnic

Bench
ShineDog said:
watch how many offloads he makes in impossible situations...
few more games and watch out NRL!!
Your kidding right??? 99% of his offloads go straight to ground or to the opposition. Most overrated hack in the nrl imo.

Murphdogg1

Juniors
Hes only 22 - lets not judge his career just yet - considering all his injuries hes going just fine - he will be a legend by the time hes done

Charlie124

First Grade
He is a Hype Machine and creates interest in the game which is a great thing, but thats all he is besides a pretty good player, worth less than half the money he is on if you only take his football ability into account.

perverse

Referee
he's very good, but he's not the world beater that he's hyped as these days. having said that i'd love to have him in my team.

jimmythehand

Juniors
For mine he's the sort of player that you'd pay top dollar for if you didn't have a Thurston Or Johns. I'm more than happy that the Dogs paid top dollar for him.

I'd guess he'd average one play a game where he gets the ball back for the dogs in defence (mainly through clever strips).

He will always attract more than one defender because of his size and strength and that creates gaps.

He is very hard to stop near the line.

He is often the first player back to take a hit up after a kick.

He sometimes tries to offload in positions where he's best off keeping it, sometimes tries the big shoulder charges in the wrong part of the field, is prone to injury (I still reckon his knees aren't 100%). These things can and will be fixed :)

mattyg

Bench
He along with Mason are probably the only 2 forwards i'd pay $400,000 for in the comp. Hindy being close behind.

SBW and Mason can break open a game, Mason has just proven himself more (eg. Parra in rd 6). SBW definately has it in him. Against Manly in Round 5 we were up 6-4, and a 5 minute burst by SBW where he forced the ball free from watmough then backed up to score a try and make it 12-4 just shows why he is on the money he is. He then went on to make a line break or 2, however he had a break shortly after...not only what he could do potentially if he stays injury free and keeps improving the way he is, but SBW is also a huge marketing tool for us. SBW is an advertisers dream, and he alone pulls plenty of fans through the gate who just want to see him play...imagine when he hits top gear again.

effnic

Bench
mattyg said:
He along with Mason are probably the only 2 forwards i'd pay $400,000 for in the comp. Hindy being close behind.

SBW and Mason can break open a game, Mason has just proven himself more (eg. Parra in rd 6). SBW definately has it in him. Against Manly in Round 5 we were up 6-4, and a 5 minute burst by SBW where he forced the ball free from watmough then backed up to score a try and make it 12-4 just shows why he is on the money he is. He then went on to make a line break or 2, however he had a break shortly after...not only what he could do potentially if he stays injury free and keeps improving the way he is, but SBW is also a huge marketing tool for us. SBW is an advertisers dream, and he alone pulls plenty of fans through the gate who just want to see him play...imagine when he hits top gear again.

I believe the spelling is Wa+m00

FunkyMonk

Juniors
doglyf said:
did you see his game last week??? no he hasnt been at his best but is slowly getting there and working his way up. He doesnt have to carry the side and win games for us as we have plenty of others who are capable also and dont just rely on one man. Sonny doesnt run hard enough lolll watch the game tomorrow night and well see if he doesnt run hard enough...

BWAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes the dogs got bloody trashed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guess it's the time to rub you know what in your face!!!!!!!!!

ByRd

First Grade
yeh really, cause the dogs got trashed it means Sonny didnt run hard lol mate you are pathetic, and i admit, sonny was bad tonight but did try but didnt have a good game, he will bounce back.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Sonny had a decent game compared to some of the others... he had to step up as a leader in the forwards and did so well... pity that most of the team around him failed to have a go.

funkymonk... do you have to have a go at everything?

Charlie124

First Grade
Sonny was shocking tonight, it was amusing to see Cooper Cronk shrug him off like sonny was a little kid trying to tackle him, i see why he gets the big bucks!

mattyg

Bench
Sonny has his offloading game pretty much spot on atm...he could work on his general defence though. His offloads tonight made us heaps of extra metres, and some of his passes were awesome.

His defence is a big question mark though. He can pull off a massive hit but miss the most basic tackle. I'm sure it's something he'll be working on during the year.

aqua_duck

Coach
Sonny is an awesome athlete but as yet I don't think he's lived up to the hype that his 1st season promised, mainly due to injuries but also for me he sometimes goes missing, or throws one offload too many, that sort of thing. I think however that he's still learning his trade abit, small things like when to go for the big shoulder charge, when to just wrap up the ball, when to throw the offload, when to hold on to the ball, that kind of thing.