What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sonny Bill Williams

Murphdogg1

Juniors
legend said:
Still, those stats sure do tell a story and he was sh*te last night.

Without Mason he is nothing. He is simply not good enough to lead the team and do it on his own. Mason can and that's the difference.

Thats complete crap - they are two completely different players. All Mason's big runs would come to nothing if he had Parramatta's halves just like Thurston would look average behind a sh*t pack. Basically both players make each others game's better. Willie being the go forward and Sonny being the playmaker (of the forwards)

abpanther

Staff member
What I noticed in the game against the storm is that Sonny really struggles when having to take it up the guts like a front rower, he really is at his best on the edges where he can target the smaller men and get offloads away. I think until Mason and O'Meley get back he will continue to struggle.

The Preacher

First Grade
abpanther said:
What I noticed in the game against the storm is that Sonny really struggles when having to take it up the guts like a front rower, he really is at his best on the edges where he can target the smaller men and get offloads away. I think until Mason and O'Meley get back he will continue to struggle.

Good call ab, makes sense to me.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
A good player in a sh*t team atm. nfi why Folkes played him for so few minutes in a crucial game v the Cows.

Mr. Fahrenheit

Referee
I saw teh 1st 20, whilst SBW might not be the sensation he was once touted to be... he is still an amazing player.

abpanther said:

Spot on...very rarely will you see him do the hard yards up the guts...this is an area he needs to work on as he tends to float two players off the ruck where he can offload out wide.:cool:

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Mr. Fahrenheit said:
I saw teh 1st 20, whilst SBW might not be the sensation he was once touted to be... he is still an amazing player.

He is the sensation. It's unfortunate that things like injuries, driving will drunk, and being hott enough to become some sort of teen idol/tabloid favourite, have taken the attention away from how he actually plays and made people just ASSUME that he must be overrated.

He actually isn't. All of the raps, from way back when he started, were because he really is that damn good.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
kia ora storm said:
Spot on...very rarely will you see him do the hard yards up the guts...this is an area he needs to work on as he tends to float two players off the ruck where he can offload out wide.:cool:

Why is it an area he needs to work on, it's clearly the role his COACH gives him.

Nathan B

Juniors
Thierry Henry said:
Why is it an area he needs to work on, it's clearly the role his COACH gives him.

You speak a lot of sense, Thierry.

It's good to see Sonny have two very good games back to back. Looks like the naysayers have gone missing, too. :lol:

Wait a second... he's not good up the middle. Riiiiight... because we really want to turn Sonny into the next Shane Webcke. What a joke.

Iafeta

Referee
Sonny's at his best, like most backrowers (but at a better level) at running at the fringes. What he's good at is picking his moments when to go up the guts, generally off a very quick play of the ball, and when he does that he's destructive.

He's coming back from some fairly serious injuries, I still think he's growing to be honest, and he's still a superb player. The back row of Canterbury's has a lot of promise, I think Te Maari can develop into something too.

ByRd

First Grade
Te Maari is an absolute machine (THANKYOU Dragons :D) Maitua, Williams, Ryan, Te Maari, Koups makes for some awsome backrow depth and very dangerous players.

jc155776

Coach
Sonny for the first 20 last night was great, then he dissapeared.

Not worth the money paid so far because of injuries and such but is still sensational.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
jc155776 said:
Sonny for the first 20 last night was great, then he dissapeared.

Not worth the money paid so far because of injuries and such but is still sensational.

He disappeared because he wasn't on the field! Not his fault.

Thierry Henry said:

That's fine then...if they want him out on the fringes then I think it adds pressure to the rest of the forwards to do the work required to give him space outside.