What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sonny Bill Williams

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
It's amazing how many so-called rugby league fans wouldn't know an incredibly talented player if he bit them on the arse.

Danish

Referee
Murphdogg1 said:
Hes only 22 - lets not judge his career just yet - considering all his injuries hes going just fine - he will be a legend by the time hes done

I thought you just told us not to judge his career yet? :lol:

I get scared for sonny bill and this isnt being a smart arse.

Everytime he gets up he looks like he has the hint of a limp and in a young fella that aint healthy.

Hutty1986

Immortal
SBW is absolutely brilliant... just the way he can make a defender look like a nervous hack

Injury prone the last couple of years but once he gets full match fitness he'll dominate imo

Dogaholic

First Grade
Sonny will be a great player once he learns..

*not to shoulder charge every second tackle (especially on his own goal line).
*Tackle a little lower (see the 2 tries cooper cronk scored)
*not to look for the miraculous around the corner flick pass offload on every hit up

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Honestly, all the stuff about his defence, dropped ball etc is exaggerated. I think his missed tackle count would be pretty normal and I think he is at the very least an ok defender with the potential to be a very good one. His error rate is probably slightly higher than average, while his offload rate is substantially higher than average. Overall, I would say he makes more effective offloads than ineffective ones and hence they are, overall, a major benefit to his team.

The reason he offloads so much is because of his ability to get his hands free in tackles, and also because of the way he can carry the ball so easily in one hand and offload in difficult situations. Not many players can do that...infact I think he's the only one in the comp....

Thierry Henry said:
Honestly, all the stuff about his defence, dropped ball etc is exaggerated. I think his missed tackle count would be pretty normal and I think he is at the very least an ok defender with the potential to be a very good one. His error rate is probably slightly higher than average, while his offload rate is substantially higher than average. Overall, I would say he makes more effective offloads than ineffective ones and hence they are, overall, a major benefit to his team.

The reason he offloads so much is because of his ability to get his hands free in tackles, and also because of the way he can carry the ball so easily in one hand and offload in difficult situations. Not many players can do that...infact I think he's the only one in the comp....

I agree...he offloaded a lot last night and with the right support the Dogs could have made Storm pay big time.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Sonny Bill's Stats, 2007:

Courtesy bulldogs.com.au:

Games 7
Minutes 338
Line Breaks 3
Try Assists 0
Tackles 108
Missed Tackles 18
Errors 8
Hitups 78
Dummy-Half Runs 1
Metres Gained 632
Offloads 19

Compare this to his second row partner Ryan:

Games 7
Minutes 668
Line Breaks 6
Try Assists 2
Tackles 281
Missed Tackles 23
Errors 6
Hitups 108
Dummy-Half Runs 4
Metres Gained 891
Offloads 5
Kicks in Play 2

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Dodger said:
Sonny Bill's Stats, 2007:

Courtesy bulldogs.com.au:

Games 7
Minutes 338
Line Breaks 3
Try Assists 0
Tackles 108
Missed Tackles 18
Errors 8
Hitups 78
Dummy-Half Runs 1
Metres Gained 632
Offloads 19

Compare this to his second row partner Ryan:

Games 7
Minutes 668
Line Breaks 6
Try Assists 2
Tackles 281
Missed Tackles 23
Errors 6
Hitups 108
Dummy-Half Runs 4
Metres Gained 891
Offloads 5
Kicks in Play 2

And SBW has only played 6 games cos he played 4 minutes in one....

legend

Coach
Still, those stats sure do tell a story and he was sh*te last night.

Without Mason he is nothing. He is simply not good enough to lead the team and do it on his own. Mason can and that's the difference.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
legend said:

What? That he misses more tackles than Andrew Ryan, a current Australian international? Jeez, scathing stuff.

Without Mason he is nothing. He is simply not good enough to lead the team and do it on his own. Mason can and that's the difference.

No...without Mason the Bulldogs struggle, because he is one of their best.

Without SBW they struggle too, because he is one of their best.

Funnily enough, in 2004 SBW played most games and they won the comp, in 2005 he didn't and they missed the 8, and in 2006 he did and they made the top 4.

BILLYA-BULLDOG

Juniors
NEEDS TO PICK & CHOOSE TIME FOR OFF LOADS & BIG HITS
gREAT PLAYER EVERY TEAM WOULD LOVE TO HAVE HIM HELL COME GOOD WATCH HIM TEAR UP THE SHARKS ON SUNDAY

fresh_mayo

Juniors
great player, still very young. So damaging with or without then ball. All the skills, easily the dogs best player. The type of player you can build a team around (although the dogs already have a good team).

Just need to inject himself better I rekon he needs to demand the ball more, especially in the oppositions 20m. Any team would love to have him.

mattyg

Bench
legend said:

i have to reject that. IMO he is good enough to lead the team around but he isn't experienced enough. Same goes for Mason about 3-4 years ago. He was good enough but not experienced enough. In time SBW will be leading us around because he would have had his 5-6 years under his belt as Mason already has