What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sonny Bill

Damarky

Juniors
From where I stand, behind the warriors :) I am hoping that Bluey McClennan aked Sonny Bill if he is keen to come to Auckland and play for the warriors next year. Wish full thinking but hey be good to have another centre and the fact he has a good off load and having Locke in the best form. We would be looking solid for next year. Still hoping we can go all the way this year got 100 bucks on a win in the grand final at 15 buck odds. If we get Sonny next year I will double my bet next year. P.S Any one thought Inu offered nothing on attack? Sweet on the D, Bill was average too. Might be time to give Fish another run not much risk on our last round game imo
Thoughs on any of the above?

Sonny Bill = No f**king way. He is a cancer everyteam hes with and the All Blacks are seeing that 1st hand. Dont want him anywhere near the Warriors at all

LeagueNut

First Grade
Yeah, it sounds like he's dicking the NZRU around at the moment. I think I just heard the news say Ma'a Nonu is a better option these days, so maybe they're starting to see $BW isn't all he's cracked up to be.

Fast Eddie

First Grade
Would still be absolute force in the 2nd row, if not the best in the game. But be realistic, he's not going to play for 350k. He will head off overseas to Japan or France.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
You don't just sign $BW, you sign bruvva mundane and Nasser and get their greasy paws closer to your club. No thanks !!

Spot On

Coach
From where I stand, behind the warriors :) I am hoping that Bluey McClennan aked Sonny Bill if he is keen to come to Auckland and play for the warriors next year. Wish full thinking but hey be good to have another centre and the fact he has a good off load and having Locke in the best form. We would be looking solid for next year. Still hoping we can go all the way this year got 100 bucks on a win in the grand final at 15 buck odds. If we get Sonny next year I will double my bet next year. P.S Any one thought Inu offered nothing on attack? Sweet on the D, Bill was average too. Might be time to give Fish another run not much risk on our last round game imo
Thoughs on any of the above?

Probably doesn't want a boxer at the end of his career and his manager telling him who should be picked each week?

Warmess

Juniors
I have a feeling he'll be going to one of the NRL expansion club if the 1.4b TV deal comes through. Don't want him anywhere near the Warriors, though. Just not worth the hassle.

Micistm

Bench
$BW an asset?! You have got to be effing kidding. Overrated overpaid Primadonna, if he left in a snot with toys out of the cot wouldn't surprise me for one second. Don't know why he wants to play in a team anyway, it's all about the self, and all about what's in it for him. Don't know why he doesn't go full time boxing and then it can be all about him all the time. I mean, there must be a few more forty something sickness beneficiaries lining up for a go!
I love the fact he switched to Union...he's now their problem and all the entourage and crap that goes with it. If the Warriors dared to waste a chunk of salary cap on this idiot I would be utterly disgusted. I would hope Bluey would have more sense frankly.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Get real boys, Sonny Bill would be an asset for any team.

Purely playing wise, absolutely. But that's not what you're getting. You're getting the circus. That cancer Mundine (who is the root of all evil) and Nasser.

No thanks. Don't want SBW. He'll go to Japan or Europe anyway, more $ there. And good ridance. That's saying something because I used to love the guy.

No way SBW is in rugby next year. He's played rugby and the All Blacks for his own selfish desires, and now will bugger off because they aren't bending over backwards to pick him despite average form.

And Mundine makes my blood boil. Suggesting there are agendas as to why he's not getting picked. Eff that.

Spot On

Coach
Purely playing wise, absolutely. But that's not what you're getting. You're getting the circus. That cancer Mundine (who is the root of all evil) and Nasser.

No thanks. Don't want SBW. He'll go to Japan or Europe anyway, more $ there. And good ridance. That's saying something because I used to love the guy.

No way SBW is in rugby next year. He's played rugby and the All Blacks for his own selfish desires, and now will bugger off because they aren't bending over backwards to pick him despite average form.

And Mundine makes my blood boil. Suggesting there are agendas as to why he's not getting picked. Eff that.

Great post. Especially the last paragraph.

ThirdEye

Juniors
BW an asset?! You have got to be effing kidding. Overrated overpaid Primadonna, if he left in a snot with toys out of the cot wouldn't surprise me for one second. Don't know why he wants to play in a team anyway, it's all about the self, and all about what's in it for him. Don't know why he doesn't go full time boxing and then it can be all about him all the time. I mean, there must be a few more forty something sickness beneficiaries lining up for a go!
I love the fact he switched to Union...he's now their problem and all the entourage and crap that goes with it. If the Warriors dared to waste a chunk of salary cap on this idiot I would be utterly disgusted. I would hope Bluey would have more sense frankly.
He wont go back to league, for starters - well, not for a couple of years at least. He's a good player, better than the vast majority of inside backs in the ITM cup, and the rest is history. So what if he is what you accuse him of being: is he the only prima donna in professional sport? Is he the only one in it for himself? Is he the only one holding out for a better deal? All your criticisms are just clichés - cheap shots that invariably appear when Joe Citizen takes a certain dislike to an individual. SBW is a gifted footballer and we should give credit where it is due.

ThirdEye

Juniors

No thanks. Don't want SBW. He'll go to Japan or Europe anyway, more $ there. And good ridance. That's saying something because I used to love the guy....

Let's not forget that initially it was Tana Umaga who led the charge to take Sonny Bill out of league and into union, and Umaga is a widely respected and influential member of the rugby community. It is he who has more of a say in SBW's career than Mundine or Nasser.
idle speculation.

_addict

Juniors

Master Oogway says...

Master-Oogway-Kung-Fu-Panda_0.jpg

"Eff this, don't eff that, Quit, don't quit? Noodles, don't noodles? You are too concerned about what was and what will be. There is a saying: yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today we are still in contention for this years prem and when we win it will be the best present"

who cares about Sonny Bill for now?

Last edited:

MKEB...

Staff member
$BW is the poison chalice that all would love to have playing for them...and now all are aware of how lead By Nasser and Mundine he really is. Really I am suprised that NZRFU bought into the bandwagon...
But I suppose he is now just a tainted marketing tool.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Let's not forget that initially it was Tana Umaga who led the charge to take Sonny Bill out of league and into union, and Umaga is a widely respected and influential member of the rugby community. It is he who has more of a say in SBW's career than Mundine or Nasser.

idle speculation.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

At least I see where the third eye is positioned.

Umaga has more say than Mundine, that'll do me if you believe that

Penrose Warrior

First Grade

idle speculation.

If you think Tana has more say over Sonny's career than those two, then I will respectfully disagree. The Tana way would be to have his contract done and dusted before the World Cup, to avoid this sort of speculation and circus. The Nasser way is the way it's been done now.

And yes, me saying he won't be in league is speculation. And that he used the All Blacks as a sort of bucket list tick is also. But would he have come for a debut year in 2012, 3 years out from a World Cup? I don't know.

All I know is I HATE (and I would like to make it clear I HATE) players (or their managers) that see themselves as 'brands'. Ala SBW, ala James O'Connor, ala Mundine etc. It makes me sick that sport has come to that.

Addict: You are right, in an I don't know what the hell you just said sort of way. I didn't think about SBW in terms of the Warriors/league one aota until this thread opened. And now I shall forget.

ThirdEye

Juniors
...Umaga has more say than Mundine, that'll do me if you believe that
Mundine can afford to spout the garbage that he does precisely because he has no influence within or responsibilities to the sporting establishment. To suggest that he is somehow the puppet-master is to give the man more credit than he deserves.