What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sonny Fai Wristband Appeal

skinnydragon

Juniors
Did these end up been sold at the game today? I had a look at the gate when I entered, but didn't see any, as I was really keen to buy a couple.

Big Mick

Referee
Did these end up been sold at the game today? I had a look at the gate when I entered, but didn't see any, as I was really keen to buy a couple.

Yeah they were.

We were at Gates A and C.

Unfortunately we couldn't muster any more volunteer's to service Gates B and D.

However, should you still wish to purchase a couple, e-mail myself at faiwristband@gmail.com or if you want to call me PM me and i'll give you my number.

There were a few things I thought the Dragons were going to do like announce that we were at Gates A and C also have it in the Game Day guide in the Mercury that they would be available but neither eventuated unfortuantely, but we still had a decent result selling 438 wristbands.

One last sale at a match will take place when myself and my father fly up to Brisbane this Friday.

Unfortunately the ARL will not allow us to roam around but, they will allow us to be in merchandise tents I believe, we are still thrashing that out. Either way...we WILL be there...with at least 3 people selling...hopefully a few more could put their hands up...but this will be the last time they'll be available at matches.

After that, well I dunno..we'll have to see what happens with remaining stock..but hopefully we sell out up at Suncorp :D

Big Mick

Referee
I picked one up. There were a couple of guys selling them at the gate across from the Leagues club early on around 12-ish.

That would have been me, my dodge 4am made box with sign attached haha...and my best mate trying our best to grab peoples attention without yelling out ahha.

Glad to see people enjoying them :D

Big Mick

Referee
Well after discussions with the NRL Merchandising people i'm left scratching my head as to whether I really want to sell the bands at the tent.

Firstly they wont allow me to personally sell them at the game, they tell me it must be through merchandise outlets.

Then based on calls just then....seems the ARL wants a cut of what we sell....I was just left...startled by that to be honest...They want a cut for "Using their outlets"...when I didn't want to use their outlets in the first place...that's what we got volunteers for!

So they are basically forcing me to use their outlets...then basically forcing me to give them a percentage of the money that is meant to be for the Fai Family from whatever they sell...even though i've got to make the posters, I've got to make the boxes and they will not be actively trying to sell them in any case...I'm just...I really don't know what to say about this aside from, I thought the human nature of people were better than that to be honest.

Last edited:

Scorpio30

Bench
Well after discussions with the NRL Merchandising people i'm left scratching my head as to whether I really want to sell the bands at the tent.

Firstly they wont allow me to personally sell them at the game, they tell me it must be through merchandise outlets.

Then based on calls just then....seems the ARL wants a cut of what we sell....I was just left...startled by that to be honest...They want a cut for "Using their outlets"...when I didn't want to use their outlets in the first place...that's what we got volunteers for!

So they are basically forcing me to use their outlets...then basically forcing me to give them a percentage of the money that is meant to be for the Fai Family from whatever they sell...even though i've got to make the posters, I've got to make the boxes and they will not be actively trying to sell them in any case...I'm just...I really don't know what to say about this aside from, I thought the human nature of people were better than that to be honest.

:lol: Niiiiiice

legend

Coach
Mick,

I heard you on the deadset legends a few weeks back talking with MG about the wristbands. Any chance you can get a plug in on Talkin Sport?

Also, have you thought about possibly going to Orange instead for the City/Country game? You may get a better reception from the CRL/NSWRL than the ARL. Doubtful but maybe worth a try.

Big Mick

Referee
Mick,

I heard you on the deadset legends a few weeks back talking with MG about the wristbands. Any chance you can get a plug in on Talkin Sport?

Also, have you thought about possibly going to Orange instead for the City/Country game? You may get a better reception from the CRL/NSWRL than the ARL. Doubtful but maybe worth a try.

Hey brother,

I'd love to get a plug on Talkin Sport....I think I actually may have already done that on Saturday...That's on 2SM isn't it?...I called up and basically said they'd be available Sunday and at the Test...well the later doesn't seem to want to happen any more.

If I had things over...I probably would aye...but i'd already booked flights and accommodation on good faith after initial discussions with the ARL...but these have now gone pear shaped.

Either way, we'll be there...whether at the ground, or outside the Train Station near the ground...mightn't get everyone but at least we'll be able to sell the way we want to I guess.

Big Mick

Referee
Seems some common sense may be prevailing after all at the NRL.

We may be able to sell directly at the ground, but i'll keep you guys posted.

Again if we could grab some volunteer's that'd be sweet. :D

Big Mick

Referee
Two things made my day today and wanted to share them with you.

Firstly, a gentleman by the name of David Bray...has created a musical tribute to Sonny in which he is wearing the wristband. Fantastic stuff...and just knocked me off my chair at work when someone sent it to me.

Secondly, Mr Barry O'Farrell, leader of the Liberal Party here in NSW, just bought 51 wristbands off me. One for himself, and 50 for his staff. Without any hesitation at all...I told him about what we were doing and he just said "Fantastic, I would love to help"...absolutely smashed me when he said that...what an absolute champion bloke.

Chook Norris

First Grade

Firstly, a gentleman by the name of David Bray...has created a musical tribute to Sonny in which he is wearing the wristband. Fantastic stuff...and just knocked me off my chair at work when someone sent it to me.

Secondly, Mr Barry O'Farrell, leader of the Liberal Party here in NSW, just bought 51 wristbands off me. One for himself, and 50 for his staff. Without any hesitation at all...I told him about what we were doing and he just said "Fantastic, I would love to help"...absolutely smashed me when he said that...what an absolute champion bloke.

well done Mick :D

hope all goes well at the Test for you

Apey

Staff member
Good to see another mention on The Footy Show :)

Well, not for you 8-[

Big Mick

Referee
Good to see another mention on The Footy Show :)

Well, not for you 8-[

Meh...yeah it would have been nice to rate a mention...but ah well....its not important if its not for me and just Dave, at least it was mentioned that's the important thing!

Bit disappointed they didn't mention that they'll be available at the game tomorrow night.

Finally although...I have good news...after a week of ongoing negotiations, the NRL have finally come around...and allowing us to use their merchandise outlets without a margin to be paid...so well done NRL.

Also we'll have 12 volunteers aroundabouts so thank you all!...and we'll be at Roma St Station as well as the station near Suncorp stadium directly next to it...not sure of its name haha.

But we'll be there. I'll be at Roma with Tai, and my dad will be at the one near Suncorp.

Last edited:

Big Mick

Referee
Well my spirit is officially shattered.

I'm never helping anyone...ever again..

What do you get for putting your finances on the line trying to help people someone you never knew, from a team you never supported you may ask?

How about:
- A can of beer thrown at my head
- People telling me i'm a F'ing A$$hole
- People spitting at me
- People saying they'd buy one and then throw it back in my face
- Have volunteers say "yeah..sweet i'll be there...and 5 of them then just don't turn up
- People trying to bargain....and telling me I should accept 10 wristbands for $5 because noone gives a Sh!t who Sonny Fai is...
- Because they are kiwi supporters I should give it to them for free and when I tell them the only people they are robbing from is the Fai's, they reply with "who cares"
- Trying to undermine my integrity..saying i'm on a salary...and that i'm a fraud...i'm sorry but piss off...i've even paid for my own flight/accommodation/expenses to be up here to not be allowed by the ARL to sell outside the ground because they are so lazy that they tell me yes...and then no...and then they want a margin...to ok..maybe a margin was out of line.

I'm officially...broken.

The one thing keeping me sane...is the fantastic people i've met through this process, the fantastic support we've received from the vast majority of fans, and the looks on peoples faces when they buy them. And most importantly...the comments like "congratulations" and "Well done on doing a good job". Thats the only thing that keeps me sane.

Ray Hadley, ARL, and others who just want to not support us...but disrespect not just us but the Fai's...take a bow. I've got no problem in people not believing in it...that's fine...that's your belief...and thats ok...but to just not care...I don't understand.

There's my final update...positive yeah?

MrBubbles

Juniors

Never trust a politician!

Latest posts