What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SOS - Coach: Brian "Bluey" McClenan

Damarky

Juniors
Why wait any longer its time for a change Ivan Cleary needs to go.
We need a Coach that can get the most of his players. Where is the passion? Where is the Attack? While we are at is Simon the best fit for captain? Lets get Brian "Bluey" McClenan as Coach

I think we need to move Lance to the bench as a dummy half

01. Glen Fishiashi / Kevin Locke
02. Kevin Locke/ Bill Tupou
03. Louis Brown
04. Jerome Ropati
05. Krisnan Inu
06. James Maloney
07. Pita Godinet (Give him a shot)
08. Sam Rapira
09. Shaun Berrigan
10. Rusell Packer
11. Feleti Mateo
12. Simon Mannering
13. Michael Luck (with rules in place not to touch the ball on attack inside the 20 )

14. Lance Hohaia
15. Ben Matalino
16. Steve Rapira
17. Jeremy Latimore

Tell Fish and Locke, Pita, Lance, Maloney, Shaun, J Ro and Brown to run off Mateo and Sam all day. If we start having more support for these guys
we might add some thing on attack.

Why wait any longer its time for a change Ivan Cleary needs to go.
We need a Coach that can get the most of his players. Where is the passion? Where is the Attack? While we are at is Simon the best fit for captain? Lets get Brian "Bluey" McClenan as Coach

I think we need to move Lance to the bench as a dummy half

01. Glen Fishiashi / Kevin Locke
02. Kevin Locke/ Bill Tupou
03. Louis Brown
04. Jerome Ropati
05. Krisnan Inu
06. James Maloney
07. Pita Godinet (Give him a shot)
08. Sam Rapira
09. Shaun Berrigan
10. Rusell Packer
11. Feleti Mateo
12. Simon Mannering
13. Michael Luck (with rules in place not to touch the ball on attack inside the 20 )

14. Lance Hohaia
15. Ben Matalino
16. Steve Rapira
17. Jeremy Latimore

Tell Fish and Locke, Pita, Lance, Maloney, Shaun, J Ro and Brown to run off Mateo and Sam all day. If we start having more support for these guys
we might add some thing on attack.

Love that team (similar to mine i posted in another thread) Our focus should be attacking and support play off Mateo, we will see some pts and win more games if we action this simple plan

Has the Warriors approached McClenan?
Has anyone got info on McClenans near future?
I do remember he is taking a role with NZRL but would like to see him coach in the NRL - This guy is so passionate we need that instilled

Micistm

Bench
I'm not totally convinced Ives should go...yet. But jeez, if he's going to keep the faith in those players, it's high time they pulled finger and repaid him. Or it will be curtains for him. A team of 'coach killers' Wayne Bennett used to say.
But should he get the flick, dunno if I'd be gutted either. The style of play we've had for a while is pretty uninspiring. I am expecting a massive effort and improvement this week, win or lose.

Iafeta

Referee
No structure, at all. This is very, very concerning. Props who aren't going forward, backrowers who don't hit holes, hookers who are not sure who to go to out of the ruck plays, halves who aren't organising (though Maloney is trying), a fullback who won't back up and who is positioning himself poorly... good management, which is what a coach is supposed to abide by, suggests if there's issues you have to correct them. Some of these issues have been prevelant for a while now, but we are still a cross-field bomb side who tries to make metres out of dummy half without a lot else. Take Mateo, he put his hand up quite a few times in the second half and basically everytime no one went with him. Players are sitting back and not coming forward in numbers to create options.

I'd be very interested to know what plans Brian McClennan has for putting together a team to take advantage of what we have. I look at teams like the Dragons today, Cronulla against Penrith, and South Sydney against Parramatta and I suggest those sides have a definitive plan. One of the most important things they do is they push up in numbers. I look at our side and suggest if we played with a similar style we'd be organised, we'd look threatening. The problem is it appears the current coach doesn't agree with that and thinks a bit of shuttleball here and there will be good enough.

Micistm

Bench
It won't be many more rounds before I join the chorus. That was unbelievably poor.
If Ives can't get these guys to change this hungover style they've got, time to put someone in that can.
How long do you give them to make ammends for their poor previous week, and how long can you leave a coach that clearly can't get the best out of them there?

Iafeta

Referee
Why I think there now needs to be a change is some of these issues have been long term issues masked by a couple of good performers (Vatuvei mostly). Now its got to the point where its terminal.

* Slow starts, not inspired
* No 'spread' plays, no organisation
* Too much reliance on dummy half play, because players aren't playing in a shape where numbers are available
* No breaks through the middle off ofloads, because we play a fullback who won't back up

My main issue is I can't see Ivan Cleary fixing any of these issues. There may be 7-8 games where we bank on opposition errors and complete 80% of our sets and get by by 6-8, but it won't be anywhere near enough to maximise the potential of this squad. And that's the pity of it all, this is a good squad, that if it played to the shape that good attacking teams in 2011 like the Sharkies, Chooks, Rabbits, Doggies, Storm and Dragon played to (they're all fairly similar), would be a big threat. But they don't look likely of doing anything other than a soft hit up or a meaningless dummy half run.

Micistm

Bench
Agree with all points there, can't argue any of them. And we've played this way for so long now, it is a huge worry that things are going to get worse before better.
There's this horrible feeling we are the easy two for teams this year. There's tiny glimpses of good...but it's mainly bad. Awful in fact.

Martli

Coach
I have to say, I've stuck behind Ivan over the past few seasons, but I am starting to really question this stance now.

I'm generally not a fan of drastic changes because I think they often lead to "over correcting" when implemented (i.e. knee jerk reactions), but I think this team has seriously stagnated; especially in attack. When I look at the team on paper it just doesn't make any sense; we should be a top 6, maybe even top 4 team, but we're quite honestly wooden-spooners right now. I think it's the perfect opportunity to bring in Bluey.

Iafeta

Referee
I think its very evident with our record without Manu... Manu steam rolls blokes. He sets up sets of six where you can gain 60-70m by just rolling out of dummy half or going one off the ruck, because he draws defenders in and still gets great play the balls on first or second tackle. They then get down there and try and pop one up for him to catch and then do an Aussie cricket team and palm the other players on the spadge even though really its Manu doing 90% of it. So we accept a style of bash and barge with no skill and then a cheap pop-up kick try. Without Manu, we don't win. Who has ever heard of a coach who can't get his mob up when his winger is out?

I'm watching the Dogs/Roosters game today, they have a somewhat similar player each in Idris and SKD-mark. But those players play assigned roles and other plays compliment that by playing their roles. There's a massive difference in relying on one bloke.

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
i've been probably ivan fan #1 for years around here. i was wavering after last week....i'm gone now.

sos bluey.

Meth

Staff member
I'm beginning to waver

It just seems like there is no game plan. Packer getting the ball in good field position twice on the last tackle did my head in.

Meth

Staff member
Mannering was asked pre-game about the game plan. I know he isn't going to give anything away if he has one, but he legitimately looked like he had no idea

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
So has management come out said "Ivan Cleary's position is safe", this usually indicates he would be gone in the next couple of weeks.

The concern for those who rather someone other than Ivan is management have said nothing (that I have seen anyways)

Manu is the only one that can save Cleary's Role
No Manu = No Cleary
And this sounds harsh but I hope the beast stays out so ppl can see what a tool of a head coach cleary is (he had his chances) lets move on. BLuey can turn ordinary players into a well coach unified team (ala Kiwis 2005/2006) I always felt deep within that this guy should be our coach (He seems to fit well to all players old and esp young) Please Rugby League gods give us Bluey and I will be forever happy