What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SOS - Coach: Brian "Bluey" McClenan

JAG

Juniors
Manu is the only one that can save Cleary's Role
No Manu = No Cleary
And this sounds harsh but I hope the beast stays out so ppl can see what a tool of a head coach cleary is (he had his chances) lets move on. BLuey can turn ordinary players into a well coach unified team (ala Kiwis 2005/2006) I always felt deep within that this guy should be our coach (He seems to fit well to all players old and esp young) Please Rugby League gods give us Bluey and I will be forever happy

Until they start losing under him and a new Saviour has to be unearthed from somewhere.

Not 100% convinced about Bluey, and that's not knocking him as a Coach. Problem is there isn't exactly a huge queue of candidates if Cleary does get the push so he would seem to be the favourite.

Until they start losing under him and a new Saviour has to be unearthed from somewhere.

Not 100% convinced about Bluey, and that's not knocking him as a Coach. Problem is there isn't exactly a huge queue of candidates if Cleary does get the push so he would seem to be the favourite.

He has won Primerships in the ESL and with Mount Albert and the Kiwis 2005/2006 despite a loss in 2006 i was very proud of the boys because they stuck at it, never gave up and when they failed to win, the heart and tears wiki showed was priceless. Was very proud and I would like that culture instilled into the Warriors

I'm 100% Convinced that Bluey will be a step up from Cleary or make that a leap LOL

Bluey Bluey Bluey!!

Micistm

Bench
It will be interesting to see what Cleary does this week, see what changes he makes. He refrained last week, and I thought that was good, to give them a chance to redeem themselves.
But his faith has basically been shat on, so I will love to see what path he takes from here, for the team and probably in all honesty his job

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Don't think Bluey would be at all keen to walk into that shambles..

Is it that much of a shambles? We have a decent squad, and great junior development happening, the main thing we really seem to lack is exactly what he can provide- inspiration, direction and fresh ideas from the head coach. Ivan has made a good fist of his time at the Warriors, but like most coaches, his shelf life at one club is limited, and I think he'd pretty much used up his fresh ideas by the end of 2008. He's stale, and needs to move on.

Skinner

Coach
Is it that much of a shambles? We have a decent squad, and great junior development happening, the main thing we really seem to lack is exactly what he can provide- inspiration, direction and fresh ideas from the head coach. Ivan has made a good fist of his time at the Warriors, but like most coaches, his shelf life at one club is limited, and I think he'd pretty much used up his fresh ideas by the end of 2008. He's stale, and needs to move on.

I probably didn't phrase that properly. What I really meant was that he would prefer to take over reigns at whatever club at the end of a season so as to get a proper pre-season guage.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I probably didn't phrase that properly. What I really meant was that he would prefer to take over reigns at whatever club at the end of a season so as to get a proper pre-season guage.

I'm sure any coach would, but it doesn't always happen that way. And coaches can work mid-season miracles- look at when Fittler too over at Easts.

Rich102

Staff member

How was Chch. Mr Skinz? Any truth to the rumour that you are replacing Cleary?

Skinner

Coach
How was Chch. Mr Skinz? Any truth to the rumour that you are replacing Cleary?

ChCh was probably about as expected, although I had expected despondency but didn't see that at all. Just great positivity.

Yes - captain/coach/fullback, but I have been trying to keep it fairly quiet.

jaseg

Juniors
Dragons will almost certainly go with Steve Price for next season (that's their current assistant coach, not former Dogs and Warriors captain Price).

Bluey could be snapped up by another team though... if Penrith continue their inconsistent form I can see them sacking Elliot.

Damarky

Juniors
I found these one links from stuff looks like He could put his hand in the mix

Might try and give him a call at ARL see if its some thing he considered jumping in part way through the year?

Former Kiwis coach Brian "Bluey" McClennan wants a shot at the Australia's National Rugby League competition.
McClennan overnight confirmed he was stepping down as coach of the Leeds Rhinos in the English Super League to return Down Under.
Leeds confirmed that Brian McDermott, who joined the club this year from Harlequins to be McClennan's assistant in the Kiwi's final year of his contract, will take over as head coach.
"I think the time is right to hand over the reins now rather than later,'' McClennan told the Huddersfiled Daily Examiner.

"I just feel if I continued it would be for selfish reasons only. Brian is ready now and will do a great job.''
McClennan said that among the reasons behind his decision to not extend his contract was that he wanted a shot at coaching in the NRL and to prove himself in that competition.
McClennan has been previously linked to the Warriors. Ivan Cleary made his job safe there by guiding the side to the finals this season but McClennan’s presence will certainly keep Cleary on his toes.
Leeds CEO Gary Hetherington said McClennan's decision to step down went back to mid-way through last season.
Hetherington said McClennan was considering an offer of a one-year extension at that time, but added "after a lot of thought, Brian (McClennan) opted for what would be his last year in 2011 and it was decided then to try and identify his successor.
McClennan led Leeds Rhinos to finals in each of his three years at the club.
In 2008, Leeds defeated Melbourne in the World Club Challenge in his first game in charge before going on to be the first team to win the world title and Grand Final in the same season.
In 2009, his Leeds side made history by winning three Super League titles in a row as well as picking up the League Leaders Shield. Last season, the Rhinos narrowly lost to Melbourne in the World Club Challenge and reached Wembley for the first time since 1999.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/4272064/Brian-McClennan-quits-Leeds-for-shot-at-NRL

number 2
Brian "Bluey" McClennan has a new job – but it's not in top-flight coaching.
McClennan's NRL aspirations have gone on hold and he will instead be officially named tomorrow as the new coaching and development manager of the Auckland Rugby League.
McClennan, who found fame when he led the Kiwis to the 2005 Tri-Nations title, and followed it with two Super League titles with the Leeds Rhinos, quit the English club a year early and returned home to Auckland before Christmas.
He has longstanding aspirations to coach in the NRL, but has taken a sideways shift, signing a two-year contract with the Auckland league, where he will mentor and appoint coaches, but not coach any teams himself.
"I'm pretty excited by it," McClennan told the Sunday Star-Times. "It's really good to stay involved in the game and be helping out.
"I'm just happy to be doing something for the game and whatever else happens, happens. I've been entrusted to help the game in Auckland and I will do my best for it," he said.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/4571833/Bluey-McClennan-takes-job-with-ARL

Last edited by a moderator:

Blaze

Juniors
I will finally conceed that it is time for a change. Cleary has had his shot. This is now his sixth season in charge and he has never in that time been able to get the Warriors to play consistently good football. Sure, he has had a winning record most years but never in his tenure have we been a dominant team or a true title contender.

His signings this year were scratchy at best and the way we have performed in the first three weeks of the season suggests to me the players are tired of his message. I reckon it is inexcusable to put up the three performances that we have in the opening three rounds when you have three or four months to prepare for a new season. The players should be fresh, sharp and motivated. Instead, they were carved up by an average Eels outfit in round one and have got worse each game since.

Micistm

Bench
I'm reserving judgement (again), I was swaying towards calling for Ives head but I've been impressed this week with the changes, and like them a lot.
If we lose, but still show some good touches, give it heaps and look like an entertaining team again, I'd be pretty satisfied considering. A win even better obviously. We got some big games coming up and he had to do something, and I'm pleased he has, and not dropped a token player and left it at that. He has more guts than I gave him credit for and good luck to him for that...although obviously it's his head on the block as much as the players if he can't get them fired up

Iafeta

Referee
Manu is the only one that can save Cleary's Role
No Manu = No Cleary
And this sounds harsh but I hope the beast stays out so ppl can see what a tool of a head coach cleary is (he had his chances) lets move on. BLuey can turn ordinary players into a well coach unified team (ala Kiwis 2005/2006) I always felt deep within that this guy should be our coach (He seems to fit well to all players old and esp young) Please Rugby League gods give us Bluey and I will be forever happy

I'd never regard Ivan as a tool of anything. Its really got nothing to do with his character, I'd regard a tool as being a douche bag type attitude. I don't think he's underskilled, I hear he has a good rapport with his players and management, but I just think he lacks a little bit of an inability to construct workable tactics. Its just too simplistic. That said, he has done a good job overall, I, like KTF has said for a while, now don't believe he can take us to the next step. Coincidentally, Brian Smith is another in a similar position, 26 years of first grade coaching and no premierships.

Iafeta

Referee
I'm reserving judgement (again), I was swaying towards calling for Ives head but I've been impressed this week with the changes, and like them a lot.
If we lose, but still show some good touches, give it heaps and look like an entertaining team again, I'd be pretty satisfied considering. A win even better obviously. We got some big games coming up and he had to do something, and I'm pleased he has, and not dropped a token player and left it at that. He has more guts than I gave him credit for and good luck to him for that...although obviously it's his head on the block as much as the players if he can't get them fired up

I too like the fact he's changed his team. I need though to see changes to the attacking structure. Thats the issue I have in the 5-6 years Ivan has been here, its just too robotic and simplistic and needs serious amending. Thats the challenge, he's identified poorly performing players, hopefully he has also looked at poorly functioning tactics. Unfortunately, I don't believe thats the case. In Ivan's time with us he has had similar losing streaks and constantly gone back to a focus on basics to get a win or two to get some confidence back to help their execution. The problem with that for me is won't get us a premiership.

Some of the stats with the Warriors this year in attack identify serious, serious issues. 8 line breaks, only one in general field play, the other 7 are the tries (so they could be simple barge over attempts rather than constructive breaks), 14th in points scored (we were low the last two years as well), 14th in line breaks. These are all very concerning stats that suggest attacking structure is poor. Completion rates haven't been great, but they aren't woeful either, so that is not the cause which is where I think Ivan focuses his attention on to fix the issue, which I think is wrong.

Latest posts