What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

South Africa bid for 2017 World Cup

deal.with.it

Juniors
The best WC ever needs to be held in Aus to "persuade" (awful, i know) that international RL is the pinnacle.

When i travelled from Brisbane to the 2013 WC, i never once thought about state of origin whilst at wembley or old trafford...

Rodney

Juniors
agreed.
Hold a massive world cup, aim to double profits on the 2013 effort.
Then governments will be much more willing to chip in to try an bid for the event and the RLIF can really put in some decent investment into developing nations.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
Let them bid if they feel it can get them somewhere.

But I wouldn't like them to have it yet, some more ground work needs to be put in first.

byrner

Juniors
It's true that SA would need a huge talent boost if they are to be competitive by the next world cup and yes there aren't many NRL/ESL players with SA heritage running around (that I know of), but there is a huge amount of very talented SA RU players who could quickly learn the ins and outs of RL, that are on contracts worth peanuts compared to what your average NRL player is earning.

If the RLIF really wanted a flood of SA talent they could easily get it by pressuring the NRL into allowing limited cap exemptions for SA players, add in a few well placed heritage players and we'd be off to the races.

If they used this tactic I wouldn't be surprised to see the Rhinos go from international RL bottom dwellers into the top four international teams in the world by the next WC, I also wouldn't be too surprised to see an ex-Springbok or two playing for the Rhinos either.

But I can't see any of this happening, it'd be risky and I doubt that the RLIF has the balls to attempt such a plan.

I like your idea, but the RLIF are in no position to pressure the NRL.