What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

South Sydney 1989-90: what happened?

Nealo 12

Bench
lol we had 4 rep players coming into that season (Meninga, Belcher, Ferguson and Todd). A lot of teams would be in trouble if that put them over the cap.

You were over in 90 it was proven but you didnt lose your premiership , It must of been seen to be too radical to do that back then !

GW.

Juniors
Im not a souths fan by any means but the anti souths rubbish i have seen the last 5 years really annoys me. not really funny and just ruins the fun for all.

make jokes but why just random attacks nowadays.

on topic;
the 1990 team had injuries and they lacked that gary warburton type player to kee the glue together. Too many chiefs not enough indians

Brutus

Referee
George Piggins suddenly forgot what Gus Gould taught him about coaching in 86 and 87. Gus really coached Souths in 86 despite still playing.

Horrie Is God

First Grade
Scotty Wilson was a deadset freak until the persian rugs got the better of him..

I played with him at Maroubra..

He played Australian Schoolboys at a very young age (15 i think), & was far more advanced at that age than contempories like Brad Clyde..

I remember Souths getting into trouble when he made his debut for some reason..

His GF performance for the Dogs was a shocker, i felt for him that day..

He must have a self destructive streak a mile wide as he was one of the games great wasted talents..

On the Souths drugs saga, there was plenty going on..

Allegations of a player ditching prohibited substances from his car while persued by the cops, players jumping the fence at Redfern to avoid the testers, etc..

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Scotty Wilson was a deadset freak until the persian rugs got the better of him..

I played with him at Maroubra..

He played Australian Schoolboys at a very young age (15 i think), & was far more advanced at that age than contempories like Brad Clyde..

I remember Souths getting into trouble when he made his debut for some reason..

His GF performance for the Dogs was a shocker, i felt for him that day..

He must have a self destructive streak a mile wide as he was one of the games great wasted talents..

On the Souths drugs saga, there was plenty going on..

Allegations of a player ditching prohibited substances from his car while persued by the cops, players jumping the fence at Redfern to avoid the testers, etc..

It was 1988, not sure who against, but he was used as an illegal replacement. Souths won the game but were stripped 2 competition points.

Canard

Immortal
It was 1988, not sure who against, but he was used as an illegal replacement. Souths won the game but were stripped 2 competition points.

I remember it was because he played the entire U21's game then was used as a reserve in the Firsts. Which was against the rules then apparently.

Pretty bizarre ruling when you think about it, as it didn't advantage Souths in any great way.

I assume the rule was for orginally to protect the welfare of the player, but got twisted into something different.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Piggins, defending the club said "I think people will get a shock when the results come back"

he was right, but not in the way he intended.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
this is all fascinating reading TBH..

had no idea this went on, was too young at the time to be paying any attention.. all i remember was the rabbitohs were on top in 1989 cause of that ad on TV with phil blake in it..

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
A few days after Souths were swooped on by ASDA officials (who flew in from Canberra and went straight to Souths training to do the tests), they were also expected to go to Easts training to conduct the same testing there. John Quayle called off the testing admid fears it had caused a media circus.

There was a huge concern among coaches that players were indulging in Marijuana use, not so much performance enhancing drugs.

Latest posts