What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

South Sydney 1989-90: what happened?

JJ

Immortal
Did they not lose Davidson and Fenech at about the same time? Boyle was getting old, and Chisolm got hurt I think...

Serdaris emerged too, but they soon lost him

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here's the story as it appeared in the SMH on July 1, 1990
File smh 1.7.90 is the front page
smh 1.7.90 2 is the full story
smh 1.7.90 3 is the end of the story

Attachments

• smh 1.7.90.jpg
    smh 1.7.90.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 33
  • smh 1.7.90 2.jpg
    smh 1.7.90 2.jpg
    203.3 KB · Views: 25
  • smh 1.7.90 3.jpg
    smh 1.7.90 3.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 19

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Did they not lose Davidson and Fenech at about the same time? Boyle was getting old, and Chisolm got hurt I think...

Serdaris emerged too, but they soon lost him

Phil Blake, Darren brown, Les Davidson, Mark Ellison, Mario Fenech, Terry Hill, Steve Mavin, Scott Wilson, Mark Blackburn, Anthony Castro, John Georgas, Brad Hayes, Michael Koellner, John Larkin, Bruce Longbottom and Adam O'Neill all left the club at the end of 1990

From the 1989 squad, they lost Ian Roberts, David Hosking, Darryl Neville, Blake Butcher, David Cruickshank, Bronko Djura, Lindsay Johnston, Tony Rampling, Paul Roberts, Rick Stone and Craig Weeks

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
A funny piece I saw while digging up those articles was by Peter Fitzsimons who sided with the players (taking a stance against the NSWRL) that the players urine was part of their own private self and shouldn't be demanded to be handed over in a public drug test, or some such drivel.

I wonder if he still holds such outlandish views. (I'll dig it up later and post it)

broncos2010

Juniors
A funny piece I saw while digging up those articles was by Peter Fitzsimons who sided with the players (taking a stance against the NSWRL) that the players urine was part of their own private self and shouldn't be demanded to be handed over in a public drug test, or some such drivel.

I wonder if he still holds such outlandish views. (I'll dig it up later and post it)

You should be more worried about your rabble of a club off and on the pitch then reading some ancient articles.

beave

Coach
How to make friends and influence people Broncos style........

Why don't you go and post another thread about the supposed new 'dynasty of Broncos awesomeness' that is upon us and leave the rest of the adults alone ;-)

PARRA_FAN

Coach
I remember it was because he played the entire U21's game then was used as a reserve in the Firsts. Which was against the rules then apparently.

Pretty bizarre ruling when you think about it, as it didn't advantage Souths in any great way.

I assume the rule was for orginally to protect the welfare of the player, but got twisted into something different.

I think you're right. Not sure when it stopped, probably when Super league started.

One example of this I think was when Parramatta was playing in a semi final back in the 80s in both grades, John Monie was the reserve grade coach and Jack Gibson was the first grade coach.

Jack wanted Paul Taylor to be used as a replacement some stage in first grade but was playing fullback in reserves, so Monie wouldve had to replace Taylor.

Problem was Monie kept Taylor on as a chance to win the game. This basically ruled Taylor out of playing first grade that day.

Jason Maher

Immortal
I think they changed the replacement rules in 1989 or 90 (4 replacements instead of 2, 2 fresh reserves and 2 from lower grades), then again in 91 (unlimited interchange, which was quickly changed to 4 interchange players and 6 permitted changes).

Was only a young fella back then. I remember going out in straight sets in 89, losing heaps of players and a bit of a drug scandal. Didn't know all the details until now. Thanks unit.

You should be more worried about your rabble of a club off and on the pitch then reading some ancient articles.

What's wrong with you, man? What's the need for constant bagging of other clubs? Especially when it's completely off topic. Get it together bro.

As for Souths, I don't remember much Rugby League from back then, but I do remember thinking that Phil Blake was the man.