What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

South Sydney Join Race For Jared Waerea-Hargreaves

South Sydney have launched a raid on their cross-town rivals by tabling an offer for the Roosters' Kiwi Test forward Jared Waerea-Hargreaves.

Rabbitohs insiders have confirmed coach Michael Maguire has identified Waerea-Hargreaves as the club's priority target for next season.

The Sunday Telegraph can also reveal that Newcastle Knights super-coach Wayne Bennett and Wests Tigers four-time premiership winner Tim Sheens will submit formal offers for Waerea-Hargreaves.

Under a new policy instituted at the Rabbitohs since Maguire's arrival as coach, South Sydney chief executive Shane Richardson refuses to comment on recruitment and retention issues.

Maguire also refused to comment when approached about South Sydney's interest in the Roosters prop.

Roosters recruitment guru Peter O'Sullivan could see the funny side of it, making a tongue-in-cheek offer to trade Waerea-Hargreaves for South Sydney's English international Sam Burgess.

"Tell them we'll meet at the border and swap them for Sam Burgess, then we'll be even," O'Sullivan said.

"It doesn't surprise me that other clubs are interested, I'm sure they're not the only ones.

"From our point of view, we want to keep Jared and he wants to stay so we're confident of keeping him.

"We understand this next contract's going to take him into the peak of his career so we've just got to make sure that it's a sound deal for him and the club.

"We've got to keep it within our (salary) cap and our budget so that it's financially viable for both parties.

"We're building a young squad and Jared's a very important part of that. All things being equal, we're confident he'll remain loyal."

The Rabbitohs are cashed-up and in the market for a damaging forward following Maguire's decision to withdraw an offer to Queensland Origin player David Taylor a fortnight ago.

And South Sydney aren't the only club who have targeted Waerea-Hargreaves, with Bennett also understood to be a big fan of the Kiwi front-rower after working with him during the All Stars camp in February.

After pulling an offer to Bulldogs prop Sam Kasiano, the Knights are now focused on Waerea-Hargreaves.

Wests Tigers coach Sheens is also in the hunt after the Tigers' poor start to the season has exposed some major deficiencies in the club's front-row stocks.

Rookie Aaron Woods has more than held his own but is in urgent need of a more experienced front-row partner, with Matt Groat struggling to adjust to the speed of the NRL.

When The Sunday Telegraph contacted Waerea-Hargreaves' agent Mike Newton, he also refused to confirm the clubs' interest in the Kiwi Test prop.

"I'm not going to comment on confidential contract negotiations," Newton said.

The Roosters went out on a limb with Waerea-Hargreaves by signing him to a lucrative three-year deal in 2009 when the Kiwi was an emerging star in Manly's Toyota Cup team.

After three years on the interchange bench, the Test prop has taken his game to the next level since coach Brian Smith's decision to start him.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/spo...-1226315281315

Yeah and Lussick isn't a thug :lol:

Stupid deluded scabs. Your club is still mad over what happened with Maloney, JWH will never wear the vomit & rust

Big Sam

First Grade
There's been a 'no dickheads' policy at the club for a while now so I'd say that rules out this criminal thug coming.

Even if he didn't play for the Rorters I still wouldn't want him as he gives away far too many penalties.

BunniesMan

Immortal
He's the kind of player who annoys you when he plays against you but you'd love him in your corner.

Yes he is a tool and sometimes plays below the belt but we could use an enforcer type. And we do need another prop.

And the fact that it would give Easts fans the shits is a bonus.

If we get JWH for the same money we offered Taylor, IMO we'd be improved.

Last edited:

Bundy Rabbit

Juniors
A thug in my opinion.

Same could be said about a certain "John Sattler". When he first came to Souths it seemed Satts spent more time on the sideline after being sent off than he did actually playing.Turned out to be one of the greatest leaders we ever had.

eozsmiles

Bench
Shouldn't be worried about signing a thug, you need blokes that ruffle feathers. And you've already got a thug in Crocker anyway. I can't remember JWH getting in any off field trouble and that is what the "no d!ckheads" policy is about.

He will improve any team he joins.

-

Big Sam

First Grade
Shouldn't be worried about signing a thug, you need blokes that ruffle feathers. And you've already got a thug in Crocker anyway. I can't remember JWH getting in any off field trouble and that is what the "no d!ckheads" policy is about.

Bellamy unfortunately coached the thug out of Crocker.

And I was referring to Souths' 'no dickheads' policy. With players like Friend and JWH in the current squad, and Myles and Carney in the past, it's quite clear the Rorters have never had such a policy.

Ozzy

First Grade
There's been a 'no dickheads' policy at the club for a while now so I'd say that rules out this criminal thug coming.

Even if he didn't play for the Rorters I still wouldn't want him as he gives away far too many penalties.
Really? What do you think of Isaac "break my cousin's leg" Luke?

Really? What do you think of Isaac "break my cousin's leg" Luke?
Boy, Ozzy you are so transparent,but then again you are are Rorters moron who spends more time on our site than your Chook shit site.
You are so envious that we have Luke,one of the best players in the game who will be a one team player for life,your filthy crooked Politis money cant take him from us.:lol::lol:

BunniesMan

Immortal
The way I've always seen it is No Dickheads refers to off field grubs. JWH more or less has behaved himself off field. Would love his raw mongrel in our pack.

sputneek

Juniors
You aren't getting him :lol: If he doesn't re-sign with Easts then he'd go to a club that's actually good

pierced

Juniors
Bunniesman, I have a suggestion. Don't take acid! I'd quite like a player who makes us look like we aren't a 12 year old deaf, dumb,blind, mute with no hands having his first crack at foreplay!

sputneek

Juniors
Souths are an improvement on your mob. We're actually playing finals footy this year.

:lol::lol::lol: Can't make the finals when the only way you can score is through dummy half. None of the other teams are as soft as Wests so you'll get a surprise next week.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
i hate maria hargraves.

he's a dirty grub of a player, and he's far from what you call "tough".. just a cheap shot merchant..

as much as it pains me to say it, souths are too good for him..

fred95

Juniors
Boy, Ozzy you are so transparent,but then again you are are Rorters moron who spends more time on our site than your Chook shit site.
You are so envious that we have Luke,one of the best players in the game who will be a one team player for life,your filthy crooked Politis money cant take him from us.:lol::lol:

Don't get too excited about Luke, I've read he does'nt like the coache's training regime and is apt to be looking for different club, I would expect there will be plenty to offer Luke a contract for 2013. Not saying we would be interested in his signature but who knows ? Sandow seemed happy to quit Souths so, team player for life is a preposterous statement to make.

Latest posts