What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

South Sydney Rabbitohs Boss Shane Richardson Sticks By Roy Asotasi

James Phelps
The Daily Telegraph
May 20, 2012 12:00AM

Roy Asotasi injures his pectoral.

South Sydney boss Shane Richardson has declared Roy Asotasi could play out his career at the club, blasting reports the injury-plagued prop will be tossed on the UK Super League scrapheap.

Richardson denied reports Parramatta forward Justin Poore was set to link with the Rabbitohs and threw his support behind Asotasi, who has suffered a season-ending pectoral tear.

"This is absolutely driving me crazy and I am sick to death of hearing it," Richardson said of whispers Asotasi would be off-loaded at the end of the year.

"The bottom line is Roy is not leaving the club. There has been no approach from any other club and no attempt from us to do anything other than keep him.

"Every year at this time we are supposedly going to get rid of the bloke. He has had some bad luck with injuries and every year we are supposedly about to off-load him.

"Roy has another year on his contract and I more than happy about it. We have made no approach to his manager to leave and no approach to any club for him to leave.

"I really hope all this talk dies down because we have had enough of it.

"He will be in the red and green as long as he wants."

The Sunday Telegraph has been told the Rabbitohs have almost $1 million to spend next year and have no desire to free up more cash by cutting the former Kiwi captain.

Poore was rumoured to be in the sights of the Rabbitohs.

However, Richardson denied making any approach to the unwanted Eel, who is on the hunt for a new home.

"We are not looking at Justin Poore," Richardson said. "Our front-row stocks are just fine and we are full there. We are certainly not looking at Justin Poore."

The club began what is looming as a spending spree with what is believed to be almost $1 million of wiggle room in the salary cap for next year by signing Brisbane's Ben Te'o to replace Gold Coast-bound Dave Taylor.

"I will not discuss how much money we have or haven't got free," Richardson said. "That is something I will not reveal."

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...s-by-roy-asotasi/story-e6frexnr-1226361010157 http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...s-by-roy-asotasi/story-e6frexnr-1226361010157

Stagger eel

Staff member
Rumours from a very reliable source:

Justin Poore has asked for a release from Parramatta to join Souths.
Shane Shackleton has also asked for a release, but to join Manly not Souths.

Both are willing to take paycuts in an attempt to play for a top 8 team.

Parra has been reluctant to allow it...until recently. They believe they are in with a chance to sign Michael Jennings because they need something in the outside backs and Penrith needs to fix their disgusting mess of a cap.

To sum up-
Imminent:
Justin Poore to Souths.
Shane Shackleton to Manly.

At the end of the season:

Michael Jennings to Parramatta.

All of these rumours are from a good source, are logical and make sense. Manly and Souths looking for additional reinforcements in the fight for the finals. Parra needs something in the outside backs. Penrith needs to get rid of a contract and rebuild because as it stands they are uncompetitive until 2015.

lol...onya!

got any other dud rumours ya dickhead?

pierced

Juniors
I wonder why our only game of finals footy in 23 years was 5 long years ago. Richardson knows as much about success on the field as Russell Crowe. All these two douche bags seem to care about is how many members the club has. We should resign Roy with an upgraded contract just to make sure he isn't poached by a super league side!

SaraSassypants

Juniors

The club began what is looming as a spending spree with what is believed to be almost $1 million of wiggle room in the salary cap for next year by signing Brisbane's Ben Te'o to replace Gold Coast-bound Dave Taylor.
Well I guess that puts to bed the rumor that we apparently bought T'eo for 400k or whatever was said. He wouldn't be on as much as Taylor is

Big Sam

First Grade
I wonder why our only game of finals footy in 23 years was 5 long years ago.

Finally some sense from you! Completely agree - Richardson's a moron. But we didn't need the retention of Roy to prove that. Re-signing Wesser and Talanoa was evidence enough.

However, it will be interesting to see what Maguire does now. For the first time in his managerial career Richo's come up against a coach who isn't one of his mates. If Maguire feels Roy is surplus to requirements Richo will have to let him go.

Robbie 12

Juniors
I think that they will just see him out on his contract and won't resign him....contract finish at end of 2013, he might start playing good when his contract is up in 2013

Ziggy the God

First Grade
People failed to mention that we also missed Roy out of yesterdays game, whilst throwing in Weyman as missing from Saints.

Just saying.

Galeforce

Bench
Finally some sense from you! Completely agree - Richardson's a moron. But we didn't need the retention of Roy to prove that. Re-signing Wesser and Talanoa was evidence enough.

However, it will be interesting to see what Maguire does now. For the first time in his managerial career Richo's come up against a coach who isn't one of his mates. If Maguire feels Roy is surplus to requirements Richo will have to let him go.

sorry guys , however disappointed with supposed fans who dwell on negatives when the team had a good solid win against reasonable opposition.
Most important aspects , we got the points , we appear to have had no serious injuries , we have two stars to come back from origin and we are well placed in mid season. This is a great position for our team and our coach to work on.

What the hec has 1 finals position since early 90s got to do with the current team and administration? Moronic questions like this i expect from some of the looney Lol $souths element. We were a chook raffle club for most of the 90's and have been in a positive rebuild since Richo and Russ have come in.
Yes we have had disappointment in last couple of years not making the finals , however we have had some cruel injuries to deal with him. Go figure on Geddes , crossed fingers , he may be getting his fair share of injury luck this year.
as for retention , generally pretty good. I agree keeping Talonoa versus Mansour looks dumb, however same can be said about most other clubs . Look at Everingham.
As for Wesser, maybe a year too long , however he also played some good games for us .
As for Roy , gees , he has a contract for 2013. We are obligated to pay his contract for 2013. We can let him go if he wants to go , however we cannot force him out unless we are willing to pay difference in contract money which could be STUPID. Any good businessman would not talk down a player at this time as it limits ability to get a good contract offer from another club, you morons.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
so roy has the full support of the board hey?

best he start packing his bags then..

pierced

Juniors
sorry guys , however disappointed with supposed fans who dwell on negatives when the team had a good solid win against reasonable opposition.
Most important aspects , we got the points , we appear to have had no serious injuries , we have two stars to come back from origin and we are well placed in mid season. This is a great position for our team and our coach to work on.

What the hec has 1 finals position since early 90s got to do with the current team and administration? Moronic questions like this i expect from some of the looney Lol $souths element. We were a chook raffle club for most of the 90's and have been in a positive rebuild since Richo and Russ have come in.
Yes we have had disappointment in last couple of years not making the finals , however we have had some cruel injuries to deal with him. Go figure on Geddes , crossed fingers , he may be getting his fair share of injury luck this year.
as for retention , generally pretty good. I agree keeping Talonoa versus Mansour looks dumb, however same can be said about most other clubs . Look at Everingham.
As for Wesser, maybe a year too long , however he also played some good games for us .
As for Roy , gees , he has a contract for 2013. We are obligated to pay his contract for 2013. We can let him go if he wants to go , however we cannot force him out unless we are willing to pay difference in contract money which could be STUPID. Any good businessman would not talk down a player at this time as it limits ability to get a good contract offer from another club, you morons.
Ur an idiot. Crowe and Richardson have been at the helm for years and we have sucked. Idiots like u who talk about positive rebuilding as an excuse for failure year after year are the problem, not fans who see things as they are. Realism and pessimism are two different things! Our current position is down to these two fools having no choice but to hire a coach who says my way or the hwy. As good marketing can only keep people jumping up and down for so long.

Ziggy the God

First Grade
Ur an idiot. Crowe and Richardson have been at the helm for years and we have sucked. Idiots like u who talk about positive rebuilding as an excuse for failure year after year are the problem, not fans who see things as they are. Realism and pessimism are two different things! Our current position is down to these two fools having no choice but to hire a coach who says my way or the hwy. As good marketing can only keep people jumping up and down for so long.

Sorry Pierced, without Crowe, we wouldn't even be here arguing this point.

I don't know how long you have supported the club, but I was there the last time we won a Semi. In that regard, the financial rabble that the club became after that point, is like a different Universe to what we have now.

Of course we want more on the field, so let's see how we go from here.

Honkiest_Honky

Juniors
If someone is critical of Crowe people wrongly assume they are anti-Crowe. Crowe owns the club whether you like it or not it is irrelevant.

Galeforce

Bench

your true colors revealed , as assumed by some of your earlier posts you are a Piggins throwback , a chook and raffleman. you do not want to let go of the worst years of our history and you blame Crowe and Richo for current position.
Well i think the current position is pretty good. I am happy with team , coach and do see the possibility of a grandfinal in 2012 , assuming our injury status is reasonable.
History , you dope , shows the teams that make and win grandfinals usually have had a fair share of luck with injuries. We have NOT had a fair share of injuries in the last couple of years.
So comeback with your whining negatives :lol:when we have lost some games and are out of the finals for 2012 .

Latest posts