What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

South Sydney Rabbitohs issues

Chimp

Bench
The issue is not Ilias.

Soft forwards, a coach out of his depth and some huge egos are sinking this ship.
Dropping Ilias appears to be the cowardly way out, rather than dealing with the bigger issues.
That being said, he has been very poor, so JD can probably justify it - but if he ain’t fixing the other issues ASWELL as dropping him, then he’s just shuffling the deckchairs.
Interesting on NRL360 that Kent alluded to a point that Ilias is supposed to be the main kicker, but he was essentially being ‘over called’ in the game by the more experienced and dominant players, and therefore hardly got the ball. Clearly, that has come from his Agent Anasta, but if true, that’s an even bigger issue, particularly as they’re dropping him.
Appears JD has well and truly lost control of the egos, and Burgess was right.

Dropping Ilias appears to be the cowardly way out, rather than dealing with the bigger issues.
That being said, he has been very poor, so JD can probably justify it - but if he ain’t fixing the other issues ASWELL as dropping him, then he’s just shuffling the deckchairs.
Interesting on NRL360 that Kent alluded to a point that Ilias is supposed to be the main kicker, but he was essentially being ‘over called’ in the game by the more experienced and dominant players, and therefore hardly got the ball. Clearly, that has come from his Agent Anasta, but if true, that’s an even bigger issue, particularly as they’re dropping him.

Big Sammy isnt the only one who appears to have been right in hindsight...

He is a complete myth who has the aboriginal cause paramount and south sydney second, if at all.

Rod Churchill got absolutely slated for saying that.

But putting aside the different ways that could be interpreted and looking at it simply as a question of whether Mitchell is as focused on the club as he should be, or instead allowing himself to be distracted by other things... its getting harder to argue against it.

Canard

Immortal
Good to see no-one on LU is too stupid to get sucked into fake culture wars.

Brandon Smith swearing in TV interviews---> Larrikin

Trell swearing on Boomer Radio ----> Disgraceful!!!@@@@

Good to see no-one on LU is too stupid to get sucked into fake culture wars.

Brandon Smith swearing in TV interviews---> Larrikin

Trell swearing on Boomer Radio ----> Disgraceful!!!@@@@

Nah this feels different to Cheese’s occasional bouts of stupidity because it was so deliberate.

Mitchell knew it was wrong, didn’t care, even admitted as such, then talks about his own personal milestone after a poor team result that his own howler played a big part in… meanwhile his skipper looks like he's seen a ghost. All adds up to a majorly shite attitude from a senior player.

yobbo84

First Grade
Nah this feels different to Cheese’s occasional bouts of stupidity because it was so deliberate.

Mitchell knew it was wrong, didn’t care, even admitted as such, then talks about his own personal milestone after a poor team result that his own howler played a big part in… meanwhile his skipper looks like he's seen a ghost. All adds up to a majorly shite attitude from a senior player.
Other than the odd boomer or two, I haven't heard a single Rabbitohs fan who gives 2 shits about him swearing.

The majority are annoyed at the "I don't care, I scored my 100th try" line.

Chimp

Bench
Other than the odd boomer or two, I haven't heard a single Rabbitohs fan who gives 2 shits about him swearing.

The majority are annoyed at the "I don't care, I scored my 100th try" line.
The swearing isn’t a major issue, it’s the acknowledgment that he was swearing and ‘I don’t care’ and continuing to swear - it wasn’t an accidental F-bomb, and then an apology…. It was a clear defiance of ‘I’m swearing, I don’t care that it will offend some people, or that it’s not a good look, and I’m going to carry on, just to ram home the point’ - it was just Latrell being a bit of an arrogant dick.
You’re right though, if I were a Souths fan, I’d be much more worried by his comments around ‘being happy’ and his try record.
Latrell is out for Latrell - nobody else.

yobbo84

First Grade
The swearing isn’t a major issue, it’s the acknowledgment that he was swearing and ‘I don’t care’ and continuing to swear - it wasn’t an accidental F-bomb, and then an apology…. It was a clear defiance of ‘I’m swearing, I don’t care that it will offend some people, or that it’s not a good look, and I’m going to carry on, just to ram home the point’ - it was just Latrell being a bit of an arrogant dick.

Literally don't care. The amount of crap the bloke cops in the media for things completely unwarranted, I'm not surprised he's in his "f**k it" stage with them. TBH if I were Souths I'd pull him out of media commitments for the foreseeable future. Best for everyone.

You’re right though, if I were a Souths fan, I’d be much more worried by his comments around ‘being happy’ and his try record.

Yes, this was the headscratcher that has us annoyed.

Latrell is out for Latrell - nobody else.

Everything I've ever observed from every single time I've seen or spoken to him in person (fan days, end of year awards, etc) tells me the direct opposite. Probably the most generous player with his time (alongside Cameron Murray and Campbell Graham) that I've seen.

I think it's more of a case of glorifying the seppo confidence/arrogance culture and getting it a bit wrong.

Diesel

Referee
The Wayne effect is a big factor. Some of the higher playing players not preforming every week & a few comments by Sammy to add to this

yobbo84

First Grade
Yes that's the level of professionalism Souths should aspire to
To be serious for a second, I think that's one of our issues, we've spent years trying to be Penrith-lite. We're not that. We don't have that in us.

As a team Souths should just accept that we are high error-rate side and we're at our most dangerous when we constantly throw a tonne of shape at defences.

"Getting in the grind", "sticking to the process" etc - that sort of mantra just won't work. We couldn't out-Penrith Penrith at our best, we're certainly not going to get near the top sides now.

As an example, nothing frustrates me more than a play on the weekend. Scrum 10m out from the Broncos line. Do we put on a backline move, or get Latrell one-on-one with an isolated defender? Nah, let's go for a one-out hitup from a forward.

We have an identity crisis on the field right now and I don't know if JD can fix it.

Steel Saints

Juniors
Letting Reynolds go was a huge mistake. He still had a couple of good years left in him. Reynolds, along with Walsh were keys to the Broncos in making the GF last year.

Souths replaced Reynolds at the end of '21 with Ilias, who barely played any lower grade football for two years, thanks to covid cancellations and restrictions.

And now Souths brought in Wighton. Why did they recruit Wighton? Some bizarre decisions from Souths.

Last edited:

King-Gutho94

Coach
Letting Reynolds go was a huge mistake. He still had a couple of good years left in him. Reynolds, along with Walsh were keys to the Broncos in making the GF last year.

Souths replaced Reynolds at the end of '21 with Ilias, who barely played an lower grade football for two years, thanks to covid cancellations and restrictions.

And now Souths brought in Wighton. Why did they recruit Wighton? Some bizarre decisions from Souths.
Yep the rot started by letting Reynolds go.

For all the braindead decisions the tigers have made in the past 10-15 years.

Souths letting Reynolds go is the biggest recruitment blunder we have seen in the past decade across the NRL.

It has probably cost Souths a comp.

King-Gutho94

Coach
Souths have had a chip on there shoulder as a club since they were kicked out in 1999 and brought back.

When Russell took control it has fed into the club the world is against us attitude.

Blake Solly the CEO is a serial whinger in the media whenever anything involves Souths.

I think that attitude isnt helping souths whatsoever.

Latest posts