What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Southern Orcas

jamesgould

Juniors
Why on earth this team isn't named WELLINGTON and wearing black and gold I will never know. Southern doesn't conjour up images of Wellington ... in fact, call me a halfwit, but hearing the name you would assume the team played in the ... oh, I dunno ... SOUTH ISLAND?!

James.

***MH***

Bench
if we were to introduce new teams based on their websites, Gold Coast would have the upper hand....

t-ba

Post Whore
jamesgould said:
Why on earth this team isn't named WELLINGTON and wearing black and gold I will never know. Southern doesn't conjour up images of Wellington ... in fact, call me a halfwit, but hearing the name you would assume the team played in the ... oh, I dunno ... SOUTH ISLAND?!

James.

They are planning on playing 3 games a year at Jade Stadium in Christchurch.

Iafeta

Referee
Uh-oh, now Parra Fan will be torn between who to let in, seeing as their main criteria was who has a jersey already :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Iafeta said:
Uh-oh, now Parra Fan will be torn between who to let in, seeing as their main criteria was who has a jersey already :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

see the Gold Coast Dolphins thread, I just posted there. :roll: :roll:

Iafeta

Referee
Need reminding?

I havent seen anything Wellington has proven to be a 16th team, than what the Central Coast and Gold Coast had last year. Central Coast drew a few good crowds last year to NRL matches. Even Gold Coast had its own jersey.

Oh no - their own jersey too? :lol: :lol: Hell that damns all other bids :lol:

And then to top it off, here was your ripper on the Central Coast basically saying that the Central Coast's crowd figures shouldn't be taken into account because they didn't support the games up at Gosford :lol: :lol: Well, duh, thats where crowd figures usually come from, people supporting the game

Why should Wellington be the 16th team before Gold Coast and Central Coast?

Crowds wont prove anything, even Northern Eagles crowds at Gosford, cause people at Gosford didnt follow them.

So you don't want Wellington to get a chance, on the proviso they don't have a jersey and because Gosford people don't get along to games :lol: :lol: :lol: Debating it with T-ba was fun because he was all class, debating with you was funnier for other reasons :lol:

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
jamesgould said:

James.
As someone else mentioned, they would play some games in Christchurch and represent all of the southern regions of NZ including the lower North.
I have a suspicion that if they enter the competition the Warriors will revert to being the Auckland Warriors.

nqboy

First Grade
jamesgould said:

James.
Okay, you're a halfwit.

Given the Auckland/non-Auckland rivalry in NZ which seems to be about as fierce as the one btw the mighty maroons and the dirty, slimy, low-down, weasely cockroaches, I think it's a marketing masterstroke. With one stroke of the pen, you unite virtually the rest of NZ, playing in the capital with a few games in the south island and drawing on the whole area. Hearing the name Southern, I would assume the team played in the south. Funnily enough, that's what they intend. I think it's a great tag.

dimitri

First Grade
I AGREE - team should be called wellington

also

the jersey looks like a terrible super league throw back

Shit name, shit jersey, shit emblem.

If someone had said 10-15 years ago that we'd have teams styling themselves as "The Cowboys", "The Dolphins" and "The Orcas" they would have been laughed off.

These jokes demean the comp and make us a laughing stock.

If they cant think of a mascot that isn't Americanised or as weak as piss then they should just name themselves after the area they represent and leave it at that.

innsaneink

Referee
dimitri said:
whats wrong with orcas

its better than dolphins

I agree ........... orcas have balls, dolphins have fingernail polish.

I guess it'll be educational too, kids everyone askin "Whats an orca"?

Dogboy

Juniors
innsaneink said:
dimitri said:
whats wrong with orcas

its better than dolphins

I agree ........... orcas have balls, dolphins have fingernail polish.

I guess it'll be educational too, kids everyone askin "Whats an orca"?

...and for those who don't know, an orca is a killer whale.

I like it; it's original, unique, relevant to the area it represents (I assume), and it's not a creature that you would muck around with!

As for their inclusion, I would love to see them in. I don't think Aussie fans realise how important it would be for RL in NZ to have a second professional team. The derbies with the Warriors every year would be sensational, and it would reduce the current exodus of good young players from NZ looking for opportunities, which is really draining NZ league of talent.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Bring back the Chargers, more agressive. :twisted:

If Wellington was to be in the comp, then the Warriors should revert back to its old name and old colours (2002 colours that is).

Latest posts