What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Southern Orcas

Corbin

Juniors
A bit off the point, but having just seen the film "Deep Blue" and watching footage of an Orca hunting sea lions and propelling them 20 metres in the air with its tail, just for fun, before devouring them, then seeing a pair of Orcas pursue and kill a grey whale that was bigger than them both, I'm pretty impressed with those creatures!

Good name for a footy team!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

edabomb

First Grade
nqboy said:
jamesgould said:
Why on earth this team isn't named WELLINGTON and wearing black and gold I will never know. Southern doesn't conjour up images of Wellington ... in fact, call me a halfwit, but hearing the name you would assume the team played in the ... oh, I dunno ... SOUTH ISLAND?!

James.
Okay, you're a halfwit.

Given the Auckland/non-Auckland rivalry in NZ which seems to be about as fierce as the one btw the mighty maroons and the dirty, slimy, low-down, weasely cockroaches, I think it's a marketing masterstroke. With one stroke of the pen, you unite virtually the rest of NZ, playing in the capital with a few games in the south island and drawing on the whole area. Hearing the name Southern, I would assume the team played in the south. Funnily enough, that's what they intend. I think it's a great tag.

Whats in a name?? I'd hardly say the changing of Auckland Warriors to New Zealand Warriors has unlocked a huge fan base. In fact I find it ridiculous they call themselves New Zealand but only ever play home games in Auckland.Why would I wanna be associated by region with a team who never wants to play in our large stadium down here.

Southern does make you think of a South Island side, but I have no great issue with the name....

Iafeta

Referee
edabomb of Locksley said:
nqboy said:
jamesgould said:
Why on earth this team isn't named WELLINGTON and wearing black and gold I will never know. Southern doesn't conjour up images of Wellington ... in fact, call me a halfwit, but hearing the name you would assume the team played in the ... oh, I dunno ... SOUTH ISLAND?!

James.
Okay, you're a halfwit.

Given the Auckland/non-Auckland rivalry in NZ which seems to be about as fierce as the one btw the mighty maroons and the dirty, slimy, low-down, weasely cockroaches, I think it's a marketing masterstroke. With one stroke of the pen, you unite virtually the rest of NZ, playing in the capital with a few games in the south island and drawing on the whole area. Hearing the name Southern, I would assume the team played in the south. Funnily enough, that's what they intend. I think it's a great tag.

Whats in a name?? I'd hardly say the changing of Auckland Warriors to New Zealand Warriors has unlocked a huge fan base. In fact I find it ridiculous they call themselves New Zealand but only ever play home games in Auckland.Why would I wanna be associated by region with a team who never wants to play in our large stadium down here.

Southern does make you think of a South Island side, but I have no great issue with the name....

Where do "They" ever call themselves the New Zealand Warriors?

The title on the license refers to the Vodafone Warriors or "The" Warriors. The "New Zealand Warriors" was a bit of a campaign early on to try and grab support from rural New Zealand, outside of Auckland. That mini-marketing campaign was grabbed by a lot of Australian sports media outlets and they've stuck to it.

If you refer back to the Warriors site, or even the official NRL site, they are the Warriors. Not the New Zealand Warriors.

I've never lived in Auckland in my life, but like many, there's no other team for me other than the Warriors. Its not an Auckland thing whatsover. Its a building of league strength in New Zealand thing, and the fact its mainly based in the most passionate/financially strong/population strong area of New Zealand is a smart thing. Newcastle has fans outside of Newcastle, St George don't play EVERYWHERE in Saint George, North Queensland play the majority of their games at Townsville but it doesn't stop places like Cairns, Sarina, Mackay etc getting in behind the Cowboys.

For most New Zealanders, Southern does not necessarily mean the South Island. And in the context of rugby league which has a major stronghold in Auckland, Wellington would be thought of as Southern New Zealand.

edabomb

First Grade
Yea but not many people will be thinking with their rugby league hats on when they hear Southern, anyway, I have no real problem with that.

They were officially the New Zealand Warriors for one season weren't they?? I guess I just think they should take their games around New Zealand (maybe one or two a year) to help promote the game. We definately need it here in Wellington.

Remember the 2003 semi??? I'm allowed to hate the Warriors and everything about them with a passion :lol: :lol: :lol: .

jamesgould

Juniors
edabomb of Locksley said:
nqboy said:
jamesgould said:

James.
Okay, you're a halfwit.

Edabomb is a genious! Of course evryone's thinking South Island when they hear Southern (ie. Southern Sting, the Invercargill based netball team). Even the Aussie posters who don't know where Wellington is did (although those guys need to brush up on their basic geography for heavens sake! ;-) )

This is just my opinion, but what would be wrong with:

WELLINGTON TANIWHA'S

Just thought I'd throw it out there.

Check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taniwha for what a Taniwha is if you don't know ...

James.

beave

Coach
but remember they gotta design a logo, and does anyone know what a taniwha is supposed to look like??? i think it's the same legend they talk about on "oce were worriors" isn't it??

jamesgould

Juniors
beave said:
but remember they gotta design a logo, and does anyone know what a taniwha is supposed to look like??? i think it's the same legend they talk about on "oce were worriors" isn't it??

Does anyone know what an Orca is? I didn't!

James.

beave

Coach
jamesgould said:
beave said:

Does anyone know what an Orca is? I didn't!

James.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: jeeeesus

Dog-E

Juniors
The Ocksford dictionary defines Orca as /n - Mark Riddell - /v being Riddell-like in one's movement, demeanour and/or general feeding habits

Ahhhhh - Sorry - just couldnt resist!!
:lol:

Latest posts