What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Souths game discussion thread...

boxhead

First Grade
I guess we just need to agree to disagree. I really do not see anything talent wise.

Just like Parra Pete, he sees heaps in Finch and Mortz. I don't.

You can rant on and on how good he is and that he will come good. I can rant on on that he won't.

If he does come good, then I will definitely apologize on this forum.

I'm the first to apologize, actually.
I think I'm drunk :(
You can say whatever you want about Mortimer, if you think he has no talent that's your opinion and I respect that.

However, I cannot stand when people say someone in a team is 'useless'. That is my most hated word....especially in Rugby League. It just sends me over the edge when, for example, some fan from another club says 'Luke Burt is useless'; what gets me is that we all jump to Burt's defence because we are loyal to him, but not to Mortimer?

If he was the worst player in our team, it wouldn't matter to me; what would matter is that he is a player for our club, and like any fan I will want to support him. I want to be loyal to every player; if Mortimer has no talent like you say, then at least look at what he will provide for us, he has more heart than any other young player I have seen in a very long time.
If he has no talent, he could be a workhorse for us, a utility that fills in and never lets us down, a type of player every team has; like Shane Rodney at Manly (the best example in my opinion).

Basically, I'm sorry I got so angry. Like everyone else on this forum, we are both venting :)
So, again, sorry.

yy_cheng

Coach
I'm the first to apologize, actually.
I think I'm drunk :(
You can say whatever you want about Mortimer, if you think he has no talent that's your opinion and I respect that.

However, I cannot stand when people say someone in a team is 'useless'. That is my most hated word....especially in Rugby League. It just sends me over the edge when, for example, some fan from another club says 'Luke Burt is useless'; what gets me is that we all jump to Burt's defence because we are loyal to him, but not to Mortimer?

If he was the worst player in our team, it wouldn't matter to me; what would matter is that he is a player for our club, and like any fan I will want to support him. I want to be loyal to every player; if Mortimer has no talent like you say, then at least look at what he will provide for us, he has more heart than any other young player I have seen in a very long time.
If he has no talent, he could be a workhorse for us, a utility that fills in and never lets us down, a type of player every team has; like Shane Rodney at Manly (the best example in my opinion).

Basically, I'm sorry I got so angry. Like everyone else on this forum, we are both venting :)
So, again, sorry.

LOL ! Fair Enough mate.

I just don't think he is the answer in the halves if we don't get a quality half. Neither did I Finch.

I like Robbo but not in the halves either. We miss his defense when he is not there.

mrpwnd

Bench
:lol::lol::lol:

You are the funniest bloke I've ever seen.
He plays eighty minutes regularly......tonight he had no match fitness coming into the game, thus he was benched.

Funny how you ignore everything I said and just say "he's still useless"
Your being disgraceful. Can't wait to see if Tim Mannah has a sh*t year and you all say he's "useless" and "should be kicked from the side".
Have you ever heard of loyalty?
Also, what is it with all you haters that seem to blindly forget Mortimer's individual achievements last year....
If I recall, he was the favourite to win the Dally M Rookie of the Year for 2009 :lol:

Yeah he's 'useless'.....even though any expert in the game will tell you otherwise, but oh no, knives out!
Maybe we should have stabbed Jarryd in the back after 2008, at least you fans would be consistent.
What is it with the golden children here? And what is with the unfair bias against the youngest player in our team?

If I was a Sharks fan, I would be looking at these arguments and laughing my head off....which I am.

Alot of blokes did have a good piss fit on Hayne back in 08, heck I was an absolute Hayne hater back in the day, but back then he was a dickhead and an out of form(to an extent) player, so it was perfectly justified. He bounced back in 09 and made me eat my words.
People should be at complete liberty to criticize a player based on current form, yeah sure, loyalty is good, it's great infact, but i'm not going to sit on my ass for 25 weeks watching Morts play crap and come back here screaming how much class and skill he displayed just so that I can be 'loyal'.
If you play bad, you should get dropped until you play good again, it's that simple and we aren't doing that. Fair enough, it's Ando's fault for picking him in the halves, but all this 'oh hes got second year syndrome' or 'your going to regret it next year when he blows teams away' crap isn't going to cut it atm, fact is, he's been crap and almost useless in alot of games(all his alleged potential and talent from last years feats aside) and frustrated supporters have every right to spit the dummy on 25 weeks of poor form.

boxhead

First Grade
LOL ! Fair Enough mate.

I just don't think he is the answer in the halves if we don't get a quality half. Neither did I Finch.

I like Robbo but not in the halves either. We miss his defense when he is not there.

Agree; I don't think any of our halves in all grades would succeed unless they had a dominant half, which is why I am perfectly open to the 6. Humble 7. Murray suggestions for next year. What separates Kris Keating, Daniel Mortimer and Tom Humble in my opinion is this;

Humble is the best ball-player, no doubt, and out of our current halves would actually probably be the best suited to halfback, strange that Anderson hasn't picked him at that role :?. He is also the best utility.

Mortimer is the best support runner, that's definitely his defining attribute that I think we both agree on.

Keating has the best running game and probably a better passing game than either of the other two.

I will go out on a limb here and agree with you totally; I think Mortimer should have been dropped way earlier in the season, Humble given a full chance with a halves combo of this; 6. Keating 7. Humble
14. Robson

I think Humble will definitely be a part of our first-grade squad next year, but if we sign Quade Cooper I think he will be the one forced out for Mortimer to be 14, even though Humble is obviously the better utility :?

I dunno how it's going to work next year to be honest, if we don't get QC it will probably be; 6. Mortimer 7. Murray 14. Humble
Humble is at bench because he can pretty much fill any role in the back-line, but this also depends on Murray to do well in his first season; however, I am confident he would succeed, considering how well he does in NYC.

On the second point, yeah definitely agree, Robson is probably in the top three best defensive halves in the competition.

Again, sorry about all that, I must have been drinking tonight :( but I don't remember it hehehe. Again though, it is good to vent. I think I need to learn to control my emotions though, I've done this several times on these forums :( hehe.

boxhead

First Grade
Alot of blokes did have a good piss fit on Hayne back in 08, heck I was an absolute Hayne hater back in the day, but back then he was a dickhead and an out of form(to an extent) player, so it was perfectly justified. He bounced back in 09 and made me eat my words.
People should be at complete liberty to criticize a player based on current form, yeah sure, loyalty is good, it's great infact, but i'm not going to sit on my ass for 25 weeks watching Morts play crap and come back here screaming how much class and skill he displayed just so that I can be 'loyal'.
If you play bad, you should get dropped until you play good again, it's that simple and we aren't doing that. Fair enough, it's Ando's fault for picking him in the halves, but all this 'oh hes got second year syndrome' or 'your going to regret it next year when he blows teams away' crap isn't going to cut it atm, fact is, he's been crap and almost useless in alot of games(all his alleged potential and talent from last years feats aside) and frustrated supporters have every right to spit the dummy on 25 weeks of poor form.

I actually perfectly agree with this, I'm starting to wonder what I have been drinking tonight :?
Dropping Mortimer is perfectly justified, much like it was with Matt Keating earlier in the year.

jayjayselmes

Juniors
LOL, he's still useless.

So what happens if he has to make tackles every game for the rest of his career? Should the coach still bench him to give him a breather?

bwahahah, Good call cheng. Mortime is terrible. I actually cant believe how bad he is. throwing the inside ball all the time. Tim Smith was bad but could actually pass and kick a ball. Mortimer is has killed out halves combo

boxhead

First Grade
bwahahah, Good call cheng. Mortime is terrible. I actually cant believe how bad he is. throwing the inside ball all the time. Tim Smith was bad but could actually pass and kick a ball. Mortimer is has killed out halves combo

I can't split the two in debut seasons....
But at their best, they are both genuinely good players.....they are both playing the worst season of their career so far though.

However, entire difference in terms of position; Tim is a halfback, Mortimer is a five-eighth. Technically, you don't even need to have a great passing or kicking game to be a good five-eighth, considering five-eighth's are runners of the ball; someone immediately pops to mind....and no I'm not talking about Mortimer at the moment.

jayjayselmes

Juniors
I can't split the two in debut seasons....
But at their best, they are both genuinely good players.....they are both playing the worst season of their career so far though.

However, entire difference in terms of position; Tim is a halfback, Mortimer is a five-eighth. Technically, you don't even need to have a great passing or kicking game to be a good five-eighth, considering five-eighth's are runners of the ball; someone immediately pops to mind....and no I'm not talking about Mortimer at the moment.

iks it hayne? Please tell me its not Matt Keating or i will scream !!! :?

yy_cheng

Coach
as a halfback, Tim Smith had talent but not the work ethics, toughness or running game of Mortz

Mortz has the toughness, running game and work ethic but not the talent.

Can we blend the 2?

jayjayselmes

Juniors
as a halfback, Tim Smith had talent but not the work ethics, toughness or running game of Mortz

Mortz has the toughness, running game and work ethic but not the talent.

Can we blend the 2?

If stem cell research becomes legal... then YES lol :lol:

foreel

Juniors
I think people have been way too harsh on Mortimer. He's been thrown in the deep end, playing out of position, by a coach who should know better.

The person I have a beef with (apart from the coach) is Timana Tahu. I've never seen an outside back as uncoordinated as this bloke in my 30 years of watching the game. On the rare occasion that he finds himself with room to move, he'll either throw a stupid pass or trip over, it's uncanny. Case in point, at the 52 minute mark Mateo does one of his crazy offloads, which sits up for a waiting Tahu on its second bounce, all Tahu has to do is catch it and run to an open try line. What does he do? He trips and gets tackled. He also made a half break in the first half and threw the ball directly to a Souths player.

Even in his prime with Newcastle, they wouldn't allow him to play centre. Now that he's older, slower, fatter, less evasive and unco, he gets to play centre every week for my beloved EELS. Not happy Jan.

jayjayselmes

Juniors
I think people have been way too harsh on Mortimer. He's been thrown in the deep end, playing out of position, by a coach who should know better.

The person I have a beef with (apart from the coach) is Timana Tahu. I've never seen an outside back as uncoordinated as this bloke in my 30 years of watching the game. On the rare occasion that he finds himself with room to move, he'll either throw a stupid pass or trip over, it's uncanny. Case in point, at the 52 minute mark Mateo does one of his crazy offloads, which sits up for a waiting Tahu on its second bounce, all Tahu has to do is catch it and run to an open try line. What does he do? He trips and gets tackled. He also made a half break in the first half and threw the ball directly to a Souths player.

Even in his prime with Newcastle, they wouldn't allow him to play centre. Now that he's older, slower, fatter, less evasive and unco, he gets to play centre every week for my beloved EELS. Not happy Jan.

You might be right. Tahu has unfortunatly flown under the radar this year. Come to think of it he does trip over alot.. happened several times last week

Dazraider

Juniors
eels will get smashed again next week as they look like they couldnt careless any more and will give up again.
its a pity as i tipped them to win tonight and they played there usual game that they play at the start of nearly every season where they just dont have the intensity and attitude to want to win

yy_cheng

Coach

I agree with the Mortimer thing. He is not a playmaker but have been told to become one.

I just don't agree with the people that are saying he is a good half.

True EEL

Bench
It would not have mattered if the refs were wearing blue and gold we put in a pathetic effort and that is the sole reason we lost to suggest other wise is just ridiculous

well excuse me for applying my right to express an opinion.....sorry your lordship, how ridiculous of me... :roll:

True EEL

Bench
Seriously tell me True Eel, you are not blaming the officials?

before getting all high and mighty on me.....actually take the time to read my quotes ok......i said Parra didn't deserve to win ok....!!!

i also said, however, that if some of the terrible refereeing was better (paraphrasing) perhaps the outcome of the game may have been different....ok!!!!

again, allow me to have an opinion, rather than be labelled as blaming the refs....ok!!!! :roll: