What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Souths game thread

hitro

Juniors
I think the black uniform is better mojo than than green or white. I hope they wear it again next game.

MKEB...

Staff member
Anyone else think the pass from GI to Taylor for his try was forward?

In all honestly I was suprised the ref let the play the ball go after Matulino nailed someone and he got up and played the ball facing the sideline for everingham 2nd try...pedantic I guess, but...

Micistm

Bench

Officiating wasn't the best all day for both sides- and passes that were pinged for being forward that weren't, forward passes let go...
Certainly seen worse reffing but there was still some head scratchers both ways

Izz

Bench
I enjoyed another great display of how slow Manu is when he came from behind Johnson and Inu to run down Inglis.
To be fair, Inglis did look like he'd found some soft sand to run on. But Manu's straight line speed is pretty good. Just don't ask him to change direction.

Warmess

Juniors

I think it was absolutely forward. However, I thought we were throwing forward passes all day and very few seemed to get pinged, so I'll let that one go ;p

I enjoyed another great display of how slow Manu is when he came from behind Johnson and Inu to run down Inglis.

Big time, was good to see him burn down Inglis, I thought that was a try for sure. Funny that he can do that, but then get run down by Myles a couple of weeks prior o_O

Blair

Coach
I wasn't that convinced by Inu, and to be fair Ropati looked good, including some running in the centres.

Inu made mistakes yes, but how much is that down to him not having regular game time in the top grade?

He's getting out there (finally) and is probably over eager to prove a point. Add the intensity of first grade and it's understandable (but not acceptable) that he makes a few "muppet mistakes."

If he was a consistent selection I'm sure he'd settle down and his error rate would become much less.

Like Manu (!)

beefstew

Juniors
To be fair, Inglis did look like he'd found some soft sand to run on. But Manu's straight line speed is pretty good. Just don't ask him to change direction.

Watch the replay, SJ got an ankle tap on him, which slowed him right down, otherwise Manu wouldn't have
got close ( good on him for chasing ), doesn't make up for yet another 4 errors though, thats 20 for the
season!

P.s the league average is 2.9 errors per player.

Last edited:

hitman82

Bench
Watch the replay, SJ got an ankle tap on him, which slowed him right down, otherwise Manu wouldn't have
got close ( good on him for chasing ), doesn't make up for yet another 4 errors though, thats 20 for the
season!

Beefstew = facefacts?

Either way, I agree with your points. In previous seasons, Manu has been such a machine on attack that it usually negated or exceeded the damage done by his poor handling and defensive bumbles. This season that has not been the case.
His selection for the Kiwis truly baffles me - I hope he has a roaring game. But out of the entire team we have picked, he's the one who jumps out as a potential match loser.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
season!

To be fair I'm not sure what those 4 errors were, the only one I remember was a dropped ball when he was desperately trying to avoid being tackled into touch.

hitman82

Bench
There was another one I clearly remember when he took a hit-up in the middle of the park in our 30m zone and dropped it on impact. At first I thought it was Ukuma, but then I saw him retreating to the wing.

Iafeta

Referee
So I watched the 20s yesterday... some good youngsters coming through, again. Ligi Sao was Price-esque yesterday. Every set he was driving through the middle. Importantly, there was a young centre who made his debut, a union fella, looked really good. Very dangerous skip to the outside and picked his lines well. Omar looked good too, I wonder if he could play centre? One of the tries he scored he ran a ovely overs line outside his opposing centre and then gassed him. The wingers both looked very good too.

Only downside was a fairly serious looking injury to Sia Taukieaho whom I regard as an almost certain first grader of the future.

Overall, Sao looks terrific and it was a great effort to towel up another team without Tuimavave at 6.

Izz

Bench
Importantly, there was a young centre who made his debut, a union fella, looked really good. Very dangerous skip to the outside and picked his lines well.
Ngani Laumape? He's got big wraps. Late last year he was trying to get out of his contract, though, to go back to union.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
To be fair I'm not sure what those 4 errors were, the only one I remember was a dropped ball when he was desperately trying to avoid being tackled into touch.

Half his "errors" are from getting a touch on attacking bombs, it's a bullsh*t statistic.

vvvrulz

Coach
Half his "errors" are from getting a touch on attacking bombs, it's a bullsh*t statistic.

To be fair though, he has muffed it this season more often than produced the goods. With the Manu of previous seasons he'd usually cancel out his brain explosions with something brilliant.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
To be fair though, he has muffed it this season more often than produced the goods. With the Manu of previous seasons he'd usually cancel out his brain explosions with something brilliant.

Yeah, he hasn't been going good. I think it's important to bring up things like the Ferguson and Inglis chases though because Manu's value basically lies in his athletic ability. If he loses speed and leg drive what does he have left? To me, for all the talk about him no longer being a winger he actually looks in pretty decent physical shape atm....certainly better than a lot of times in the past few seasons when he's being coming back from injuries.

Point is I still think he has the good stuff in him like he always did. I don't think much has changed.

vvvrulz

Coach
I agree that he still belongs in the wing, all this talk of moving him to prop is sheer nonsense. Just out of form, plain and simple... i'd say a temporary trip to the Vulcans is what he needs.

hitman82

Bench

Pretty sure those are not counted as errors, as they are not knock ons.

Even if they are, your statement may be true for this particular game, but not the majority.

Most of Manu's errors are very simple ones upon impact in a tackle, or playing the ball, or pushing a stupid offload (this one hasn't been as bad this season).

He's got very dodgy handling - noone can deny this.

However, I do think he has value in him. just not sure where. When I see very standard-size, hard running, high-skill, athletic wingers playing for other teams, I get pretty jealous. That's all we really need. Manu's effectiveness on the wing is diminishing every season.

Latest posts