What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Souths Idea To Move To Redfern Oval Is A Complete Joke

Im listening to George Piggins on the radio talking about his magical, wonderfull idea to re-develope Redfern and I have to say....he is living in a world of his own!

His plan is basically to build a new stadium at Redfern. To do this...he needs the support of the local government. To get this support he needs to try to convince people a new stadium and surrounding development would add to the area.

In short, when George talks about this new stadium, he talks about fixing the drug problems, getting kids to school....basically, George says this development will save the world.

Now lets me say this.

Any club that thinks its future is based at REDFERN is wasting its time and money.

George Piggins was in control of the Bunnies when they got kicked out of the competition. He was in control of them during their most unsuccessfull perdiod in the clubs rich history.

He was in charge as the Bunnies went from being a GREAT club, a winning club.....to being the absolute garbage of top level sport.

Now, this visionary, he see's the future of the club being at Redfern Oval.

What a joke!!!!

Just say it does get up. Souths get a 20,000 stadium in Redfern. The tens of millions of dollars that will cost.

In 20 years time when, hopefully, the NRL has moved beyond crowds of 15,000.....where will that leave Souths?

They either start losing money by playing infront of 20,000 each week while they could hope to get more at a bigger stadium.....OR.....they move from Redfern Oval again and end up paying off a huge amount of money on a Stadium they are not using again!

Keep in mind....this has been an unsuccessfull club over the last 10 years. They have been in financual trouble for years and years!

Does anyone not called Pggins honestly think the future of top level sport....ANY sport....lies in places like Redfern?

Can you name any sport in the world where clubs see their future being in small suburbs rather then major, state of the art, centralised sporting facilities?

Who would want to go to Redfern. You think the Dogs have problems getting fans to their games....what untill you have to run the gauntlet of thugs and drug dealers to watch a bloody Souths game in Redfern.

You think people would even think of taking their kids to that away game. It should be a nice trip on public transport, that is, is the Train Station isnt on fire and bottles and bricks arent being thrown at the passing buses!

The sooner Piggins moves on from this idea the better. The future of the South Sydney clubs DOES NOT lie in Redfern. The club realised that years ago when it moved to the SFS!

DIEHARD

----
Well DUH

They should stay at the SFS all they need is good form and the crowds will come.

Moving back to Redfern is a joke.

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
I've got nothing wrong with fixing up Leichardt.

But there is no point building a new stadium in a hole of a suburb.

DIEHARD

----
Moving back to damn Redfern will distance alot of Souths fans from the club. They should be moving towards being more of a Sydney team not becoming a Redfern team. :x :x :x

Wests is Best

Juniors
The crowds will come when
a) Souths have the facilities
b) Souths are winning games

Souths already have the facilities at Aussie Stadium. All they need is a winning team and they will get crowds to Aussie. Fixing Redfern will generate crowds for a few home games or maybe half a season (just like in 2002), but if they keep losing games, the crowd will dissappear as soon as the novelty wears off

Wests is Best

Juniors
Imagine a Friday night match at Redfern. You would have 20,000 for sure. Every one of them hoping their car gets get nicked for insurance purposes.

hadey

Juniors
I would have thought the board of the South Sydney football club would make decisions on where Souths play not George Piggins.

It is my understanding that George Piggins is NO longer on the board of the football club. His involvement is with the leagues club.

When and if Souths ever want to play at Redfern the announcement will come from either Nick Pappas who is chairman of the board of directors of the SSDRLFC or Shane Richardson who is CEO.

Allthough i know it's not going to happen, it would great to see Souths back at Redfern and the Bulldogs back at Belmore. No more of this Aussie/Telstra stadium crap - have the teams play where the fans are located.

Parra_Eels

Bench
yeh bulldogs need to sort out where they play - probably end up telstra which is a shame. keep souths at sfs (when does the aussie home loans sponsor deal end. i hate"aussie stadium"

OVP

Coach
You wont find a single Souths supporter (except those who are Piggins cronies) who would agree with George. Most want him to shut the f**k up and move on. I seriously doubt that Shane Richardson would be at Souths if Piggins still was on the Football club board ... Piggins thinks HE is Souths and would never let Richo do his stuff.

Time to put on the slippers, whack in a pipe and sit next to a cosy fire, George. Souths are doing better already now under Pappas than it did in your entire 11 years in charge. Goodbye George.

P.s. Parra_Eels ... its nice to see another Villa supporter :)

Wests is Best said:
Imagine a Friday night match at Redfern. You would have 20,000 for sure. Every one of them hoping their car gets get nicked for insurance purposes.

:lol:

"The owner of the car, licence number - "X"... congratulations your car has just be stolen".

Everyone applauds, wishes it was their old Kingswood/Falcon that was stolen... for insurance purposes :p

mightybears

Bench
the idea in itself is fine but even it the leagues club site is sold and the club gets into the stadium site over the road they'll still be tens of millions of dollars short

even if the sydney cc goes for it

The next 2 years are critical for Souths long term viability. They need to move forward not backwards. Kensington and the SFS represent there future. Redfern there past.

Southernsaint said:
The fact that the Juniors & the Seniors are split is killing them...

Cheers,
Ben S.

That's true.

I agree with John Sattler - move to Gosford. Become the Central Coast Rabbitohs and take control of the local leagues (just like the Illawarra League feeds directly into the Steelers ranks and the Newcastle League feeds into the Knights). Not only would they have a great stadium, they'd have an entire young rugby league region behind them. Sell the leagues club and set up fresh in Gosford (if the bears don't get in).

t-ba

Post Whore
DJ1 said:
Adelaide Rabbitohs

Was it Whittaker or Moffett who stuck their head in the sand and went "La La La La I'm not Listenting!" to the 5 or so proposals to save Adelaide?

Top shelf Long term thinking there :lol: .