What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Souths to make the finals?

Iafeta

Referee
I've seen about 4 people on here say Souths will crack the 8.

About 4,304 Canberra-ites do the same for your team. Pot calling the kettle black? It sounds like a desperate plea to take the spotlight off your team's ambition for the spoon.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Iafeta said:
I've seen about 4 people on here say Souths will crack the 8.

About 4,304 Canberra-ites do the same for your team. Pot calling the kettle black? It sounds like a desperate plea to take the spotlight off your team's ambition for the spoon.

or maybe seeking information as to why people think souths will crack the 8, or for that matter even improve at all cause i cant see a major change at all coming from them, not for a year or two anyways.

But hell why let logic get in the way of Iafetas pethetic attempt to trash any thread a raiders fan posts in... acually seen it appears you wont let up, what halarious is that as shithouse as souths were last year, your warriors lost more games then them :lol:

Iafeta

Referee
The Warriors were woeful last year. You don't have to persuade me otherwise because I completely agree with you. Leave the persuasing to Ozbash, he's still in counselling over it :lol: Disbelief.

I think their will be slight improvements, not major ones. I like the look of the backrow they will put on the paddock next year, Harrison, Minichiello, Fletcher all for mine are good high quality players. I've seen bits and pieces of Dean Byrne, I think he could be a good capable five eighth outside of Williams. The main area of concern was probably their outside backs and propping department which I think they've attempted to address, if they can keep Cusack (who's been a good consistent toiler at the Chooks) and Geddes on the track, they'll get some go-forward. Heggarty, the two MacDougalls aren't the worst going around, and a bloke they gave a go to last year in a few positions who's name I can't remember looked pretty decent too.

I think they'll finish between 12th-14th. If they stick with Joe Williams, they could do a lot better in a few years provided they keep improving on their recruitment. They're still recovering from a succession of poor first grade coaches and the struggles to recruit average out of contract players the season before their comeback.

Iafeta

Referee
I think it was the Charity Shield game he played in last year where he played particularly well, I thought here's a good half for the Rabbits. For some reason he hardly seemed to see the light of day.

Was he injured?

Red Bear

Referee
Souths wont make the 8, rubbish to say shit lik that.
However they'll improve, and they arent looking toward this year, they are looking towards the future, which is good.

Greenblooded

Juniors
I dont think so, I kept seeing his name in Big League in PL. Hopefully a new coach will see a change in fortune

ByRd

First Grade
This is a make or break year for many Souths players. I think about 70-80% of their players come off contract at the end of 2005, so with this in mind alot of players will want to improve to get contracts beyond 2005 & for this reason i think that souths will improve but not top 8 material. I think that the year 2007 is a realistic goal for souths to crack the 8 but in 2006 with plenty of money to spend they will be out with force in the market & their main target in Anasta & i think that he will be the only dogs player to leave. If he does leave its no loss to the dogs but a good buy for souths with 6) Anasta, 7) Williams to build around.

Red Bear

Referee
dog4life said:
This is a make or break year for many Souths players. I think about 70-80% of their players come off contract at the end of 2005, so with this in mind alot of players will want to improve to get contracts beyond 2005 & for this reason i think that souths will improve but not top 8 material. I think that the year 2007 is a realistic goal for souths to crack the 8 but in 2006 with plenty of money to spend they will be out with force in the market & their main target in Anasta & i think that he will be the only dogs player to leave. If he does leave its no loss to the dogs but a good buy for souths with 6) Anasta, 7) Williams to build around.
Agree with that, specially with anast and williams still with plenty of years in em they could potentially build a combination similar to daley/stewart(maybe not as good, but a lot of time together and players to build a team around) if the rabbits get anasta.

OVP

Coach
Souths more than likely wont make the 8, however i dont think they'll get the spoon either. I think Richardson will get a little bit of their spirit back, especially after june 30 ... when they are cashed up to the hilt and buy some high quality players.

I really seem to be the only non-Canberra supporter who doesnt think Canberra will get the spoon either.

This is the only year for quite a LONG time that i cant really decide who WILL get it. And i think thats a good thing for our game overall.

ozboy

Juniors
Souths will improve but will still be one of those teams battling it out for 14th position.

Broncodroid

Juniors
Hmmm, let me think about this one...

Leaving the pub after a win with one of the other teams cheerleaders? Priceless.

An esky full of beer, your team is playing football and the boys are over for a BBQ? Priceless.

Phil Gould walking off the before the fulltime siren had sounded in game 2 of Origin last season where QLD won? Priceless.

South Sydney Rabbitohs, perrenial wooden spooners since coming back to the NRL making the semi-finals? Not going to happen.

Souths have now entered the first step to rebuilding this once proud and mighty club. Nabbing Richardson from Penrith was the first step, getting a good Rugby League mind into the top grade coaching job was the next.

Souths have some good young talent to build around don't get me wrong. Joey Williams looks the goods, Luke MacDougall, Ashley Harrison, Mark Minichello, Brett Kearney coupled with some seasoned veterans in Fletcher, Hegarty, Cusak, Geddes and Mad Dog MacDougall...the ingredients are there for a solid base. Depth is there concern if one of the above players struggle with injury.

Souths will beat some teams they are not spose too in 2005, they will also perhaps lose some games they by rights should win when in a comfortable position. I have them once again getting the wooden spoon though they will push the likes of Canberra, Manly, Cronulla and Wests all season. A mid range goal is the best case scenario for this club...if they can keep their top 17 fit ALL SEASON (that won't happen of course), they could be higher.

The Whippet

Juniors
South Sydney will make the top eight this year, their guts and determination will lift them to the next level.

They have a superb centre pairing of Shannon Hegarty and Adam MacDougall, one of the best in the game. Luke MacDougall finds the tryline quite regularly and I've heard excellent about young Todd Polglase who will be quite a revelation at fullback for South Sydney. Real attacking weapon and very confident under the high ball.

The halves look very nice at the moment. Joe Williams well he is quite a young talent who continued to impress last year at halfback, looked the goods. Dean Byrne was unlucky to get a run last year but Paul Langmack stuffed him up and then he got injured. But this guy is going really well with Joe Williams at training and I'm excited about this guy, he could be the next big thing. He dominated in PL at the Dragons and single handly one games for them. Also a competent back up goal kicker to Joe Williams.

The forward pack is a solid one. Scott Geddes, Peter Cusack, Scott Logan and Glenn Hall are all very good forwards. Scott Geddes showed excellent form when returning from injury this year. Peter Cusack well the guy is a real workhorse and impressed me in the grandfinal and deserved that City jersey. Scott Logan made the Queensland squad back in 2002 but unfortunatley didn't make the cut, so he's full of promise. Glenn Hall was a bit disappointed by him last year but this year he's apparently tearing down the house at training and really improving his fitness levels.

Shane Walker well he can be good at times, cold at other times. Hopefully he can improve his game quite a bit in the off-season. Also hearing great things about Trent Young, promising young hooker.

Bryan Fletcher, captain inspiration, leads by example week in week out. The guy is a great leader and is always appearing everywhere whether it to be make a tackle or take a hit-up. Luke Stuart is another real workhorse who is very under-rated, nothing special but gets the job done. Mark Minichello is a promising young forward who hits the line very hard.

Ashley Harrison is a fantastic player who deserves a Queensland jumper, a player who really stood up for the Rabbits last year and really impressed with his strong work ethic. Future South Sydney captain.

Shaun McRae is a very good coach, done amazing things in the ESL with Halifax to resirect them and did some very good things with Hull. Also was on the coaching team at the Canberra Raiders as well and knows a lot about the game and has a great relationship with Shane Richardson.

Shane Richardson is undoubtley the best administrator in the game and has that great slogan 'we aim to be the best rugby league team in the world'. He will bring about positive change at the club.

Dogs Of War

Coach
Yes Whippet, but who replaces those players if they get injured. They haven't got the depth to sustain an assult on the premiership. I don't see them coming last, but then again it's not beyond them.

The Whippet

Juniors
Dogs Of War said:
Yes Whippet, but who replaces those players if they get injured. They haven't got the depth to sustain an assult on the premiership. I don't see them coming last, but then again it's not beyond them.

That's the thing they need to stay relatively injury free for the season. They do have some good players coming through the ranks. There's a few good ones like Shane Rigon, John Sutton, Fimone Lolohea, Willie Peters (he might come good, third time lucky), Matt Riddle, Brad Watts and Garth Wood.

But really they need their star players to play most of the games this year if they want to be a real force, it can hapen.

ledzep

Bench
Peter Taylor will be better than Williams IMO
Ray Majouli is a good prospect as well

They won't make the 8.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Iafeta said:
The Warriors were woeful last year. You don't have to persuade me otherwise because I completely agree with you. Leave the persuasing to Ozbash, he's still in counselling over it :lol: Disbelief.

I think their will be slight improvements, not major ones. I like the look of the backrow they will put on the paddock next year, Harrison, Minichiello, Fletcher all for mine are good high quality players. I've seen bits and pieces of Dean Byrne, I think he could be a good capable five eighth outside of Williams. The main area of concern was probably their outside backs and propping department which I think they've attempted to address, if they can keep Cusack (who's been a good consistent toiler at the Chooks) and Geddes on the track, they'll get some go-forward. Heggarty, the two MacDougalls aren't the worst going around, and a bloke they gave a go to last year in a few positions who's name I can't remember looked pretty decent too.

I think they'll finish between 12th-14th. If they stick with Joe Williams, they could do a lot better in a few years provided they keep improving on their recruitment. They're still recovering from a succession of poor first grade coaches and the struggles to recruit average out of contract players the season before their comeback.

completely agree
Im not so sure about Dean Bynre, he has been around for a few years but is yet to crack a first grade spot, they also lack a quality fullback, Roy Bell isnt the answer.

After this silly season id like to see them make big plays for good quality 5/8th like Anasta and a 2 or 3 quality outside backs, Jamaal Lolesi might be a decent signing, he would come cheap but he is a quality player, im not sure the Dogs will be too keen to hang on to him.

Im also not convinced on the coach, people say he has done good things in the ESL but canberra hired Matt Elliot off that idea and look where thats landed us.

Reguardless with Richo in the front office they will make improvements, as ive said, in 2-3 years maybe a bit longer they will not only be in the top 8 but maybe even premiership contenders but that is not this year. I recon they are spoon bound.