What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Soward Early Release

Steelman

Juniors
Jamie Sowards manager is shopping him around to rival club's for the rest of the season.

His most likely destination at this stage is England it seems he won't play nrl for the dragons again and he wants out. Dragons won't stand in his way.

Maybe just maybe we might have a half before June 30.....Fingers crossed...

drake

First Grade
I know that it's been reported that Sowie is an egotist, destabilizes the team ans doesn't follow orders, but I find it sad that a bloke that was such a big part of the end of the drought is possibly going to slink off without a farewell. I know sweet FA about the truth of the matter, but as a people manager I can't help but think that someone could not do their job with Soward.

Michelle Day

Juniors
Jamie Soward deserves better.......Do not know what is going on between him and Price, but I am sure there is a lot more to it than the media as hinted at... Good luck Jamie and thanks for the premiership...

getsmarty

Immortal
Jamie Soward deserves better.......Do not know what is going on between him and Price, but I am sure there is a lot more to it than the media as hinted at... Good luck Jamie and thanks for the premiership...

x's 2. Thanks for the memories Jamie. You will always be remembered as our premiership winning 5/8.

Dragons_Head

Juniors
regardless of his relationship with the coach, any person who has done as much for this club as jamie should not be treated with this amount of disrespect... i hate to see it happening, all i can say is all the best jamie

Godz Illa

Coach
Any sentimentality over 2010 is clearly gone. The club's management is looking to the future, as it should.

jenninga

First Grade
This is correct,Jamie does deserve better,but as you say we don't know what has happened.It is wrong to point the finger to anyone,but for him to be dropped ,it must have been more than poor form ,perhaps an attitude problem.
However no player is bigger than a club and both parties move on next year.

I trust all those who were constantly criticising him for not "taking the line on", when he was never that player from day 1, please don't now play the violins and say they are sorry to see him go. Please don't.

Dragons4lyf95

Juniors
It's so disrespectful ! How dare price drop soward then make him get a realesse after every single game Jamie has been through putting he's heart and soul into the team week in and week out and now he not only drops our good playmaker when he should have dropped fien. Anyway as a massive drsgons fan and my whole family red v members we are all re considering our membership for next year as we hate to see the way our club treats our great players especially when Jamie already cops enough from the media he then is treated like this after ALLL the things he has done for our club. Players like fien should be the ones dropped or released, anyway point is it's sad to see the club we love treat legends like soward this way, I bet Wayne is watching in discust. HE DESERVES A PROPER GOODBYE ! :(

BennyV

Referee
It's so disrespectful ! How dare price drop soward then make him get a realesse after every single game Jamie has been through putting he's heart and soul into the team week in and week out and now he not only drops our good playmaker when he should have dropped fien. Anyway as a massive drsgons fan and my whole family red v members we are all re considering our membership for next year as we hate to see the way our club treats our great players especially when Jamie already cops enough from the media he then is treated like this after ALLL the things he has done for our club. Players like fien should be the ones dropped or released, anyway point is it's sad to see the club we love treat legends like soward this way, I bet Wayne is watching in discust. HE DESERVES A PROPER GOODBYE ! :(

HMMMMM...I'm all for respecting Soward for what he did, but if the current series of events is making you reconsider your membership, then good riddance. NO PLAYER is bigger than the club, it's clearly not Price's go to drop players based on form so it's obvious that there is something deeper here. If Wayne is 'watching in disgust', why didn't he offer Jamie a contract next year? Could it be because he knows what kind of attitude Jamie brings to the team? I love Sowie for what he did in 2010, but he can't fall back on that and if he is becoming detrimental to our great club, then he can leave. The club is who I support, not individual players. I would hardly call Sowie 'great' in comparison to the real modern heroes of the Draogns - Hornby, Young, Cooper, even Creagh - the guys who will always put the club before themselves.

RedPenno

Juniors
agree that the club comes 1st. Jamie has been a good player & won us a lot of games over his time at saints , as a good 5/8 should do. but Jamie only plays a good game occasionally these days. he very rarely runs like he did the 1st few years he played with the dragons & that seems to be sideways. as 5/8 he needed to do more than he has lately.
saying that it is a shame that he hasn't be given a farewell as he has been with us a few years & many fans would love to show their appreciation for the good things he has done

Godz Illa

Coach
Maybe after seeing the piss poor turnout at Dean & Hornby's WIN farewell last year, the club have the impression that a home farewell is not a big deal for fans?

Willow

Assistant Moderator
If that's the last we've seen of him, there's no joy to be had. No winners in this and not interested in the finger pointing or fault finding. At the end of the day if the player is unhappy and isn't seeing eye-to-eye with the coach, then that's that.

Will save the eulogies for the confirmation.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Just goes to show how good a coach Bennett was as he seems to have been able to get the best out of him.

Interested to see how he goes at Penrith under Cleary. I reckon he will kill it there.

DUB888

Juniors
HMMMMM...I'm all for respecting Soward for what he did, but if the current series of events is making you reconsider your membership, then good riddance. NO PLAYER is bigger than the club, it's clearly not Price's go to drop players based on form so it's obvious that there is something deeper here. If Wayne is 'watching in disgust', why didn't he offer Jamie a contract next year? Could it be because he knows what kind of attitude Jamie brings to the team? I love Sowie for what he did in 2010, but he can't fall back on that and if he is becoming detrimental to our great club, then he can leave. The club is who I support, not individual players. I would hardly call Sowie 'great' in comparison to the real modern heroes of the Draogns - Hornby, Young, Cooper, even Creagh - the guys who will always put the club before themselves.
Completely agree

possm

Coach
It's down to man management; something Price is very short on.

Soward will run through the line when there is a hole to run through.
Price's plans do not deliver a hole to run through.
Price is not a good coach and Soward is frustrated because of it.
Soward signs a new contract with Penrith and after that there needed to be a discussion on how to manage things until the end of the season.
Things have been managed very poorly and it sadens me that it has come to this.

My two sons and I have a number 6 on our Saints jumper so I don't mind anyone accusing me of being one-eyed about this.

Maybe some good can be rescued out of this. My I suggest that the Club swap Sowie for Rangi Chase for the rest of the season. This would give Sowie a going away present and solve the Club's halves problem for 2013.

Last edited:

Dezziedc

Juniors
Once again, nobody really knows what is going down. If this is true then it is obviously a sad day indeed that we have had to take this action - not something I would have ever thought the Dragons would have had to do. Also, it is not something that I personally wanted to see - Jamie is a quality player and has given a lot to the club.

Having said that though, if it means the team and club can move forward, then I think it has to be a good outcome for everyone. You don't want this sort of thing festering for too long - on both sides. The club can now hopefully move forward and start improving and Jamie can move on to a better things for him personally.

BennyV

Referee
...Soward will run th the line when there is a hole to run through...

I understand that you are slightly bias on the issue, but if you'd watched him play a single game this year, you'd know that isn't true..

possm

Coach
I understand that you are slightly bias on the issue, but if you'd watched him play a single game this year, you'd know that isn't true..

What, are you telling me that you have seen him not run through a gap in the defence? I am sure he would always run through a gap but there has been none. We don't have a plan to create gaps mid field. Most gaps were created by Sowie for others - using a long pass or a smart kick.

Take a look next game and you will see that most off loads are to players standing still and not necessarily to a player to run through a hole created. It's under 8 stuff - 'I'm stuck so I pass it to someone else; anyone else'.

Last edited:

BennyV

Referee
What, are you telling me that you have seen him not run through a gap in the defence? I am sure he would always run through a gap but there has been none. We don't have a plan to create gaps mid field. Most gaps were created by Sowie for others - using a long pass or a smart kick.

Take a look next game and you will see that most off loads are to players standing still and not necessarily to a player to run through a hole created. It's under 8 stuff - 'I'm stuck so I pass it to someone else; anyone else'.

No, I'm saying that Soward didn't run through any holes that were presented. The games that spring to mind are Penrith and Manly games at Kogarah, Soward would often get the ball in broken play with gaps in front of him OR with 1 player to beat (often someone easily beaten given his speed) and yet he'd stand with the ball, look around, submit to the nearest defender. It looked pathetic on several occasions.

Whether or not we create gaps is up for debate, but they have been there and Soward refuses to back himself to go through them like he did in 2010-2011