What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Soward Early Release

doda

Juniors
Looks confirmed, almost.

I assume the club will be paying out his contract.

While he has been denied a proper send off, it's not bad result for Soward. He gets a few months in the UK, possibly two pay days. He'll most likely carve it up over there and they'll want him back after Penrith are done.

Soward gave us some excellent service. He has been our top point scorer for the last few seasons, won us plenty of games. From his first match with us you could see the whole side lift. Any player from the 2010 premiership winning side is a champ in my books.

Good luck Sowie, thanks for the memories.

+1

karuah6

Juniors
I feel very sorry for Jamie Soward and its very sad thinking about it.

I will never ever forget what he has done for this club. It was the best feeling in the world winning in 2010 and he was a huge part of that success.

Despite him playing poorly the last couple of seasons he really deserves more then this. However it is good to know the club is not stopping his progress and it seems this divorce is in the best interest of both parties.

Thank you for the memories Jamie Soward.

Here here.

kit66

Bench
We should have swapped him for Rangi Chase.

He did some good things for the club but his efforts last year and this year leave a bad taste in the mouth. He's behaved like a spoilt child and let everyone down, himself most of all. I wish him all the best but I'm glad he's going.

nrlnrl

First Grade
A great contribution up until 2011 & was a key part of the title win, but has become a bad influence on the squad. Anyone who looks as surly as he does just gives a negative vibe that only harms a side. Do you remember how happy he used to be during the Bennett era ? - not a cranky looking person who just looked like the world owed him something.

OK, I don't know what happened off the field, but his attitude changed so much from an intense but positive person. It's time to move on & the club will be better for it & hopefully his form will return to being consistent at Penrith. I won't hold any grudges or have negative feelings towards him.

j0nesy

Bench
Not quite sure how I rate Soward as a player - when hes good hes very good, when hes bad hes horrid. That aside, Ive got the utmost respect for what he has achieved with our club. If it happens, and it seems likely, it will be the best for club and player I think.

I feel kind of sorry for him but I don't think he has helped his cause. Plenty of players sign with other clubs mid year and don't then behave like soward has. I hope for his sake that the move to Penrith offers him an opportunity to salvage his reputation as a player who on his day can offer an awful lot to a team, and not just the head geared sook who has been sporting the red v for the last two seasons

bottle

Coach
I feel kind of sorry for him but I don't think he has helped his cause. Plenty of players sign with other clubs mid year and don't then behave like soward has. I hope for his sake that the move to Penrith offers him an opportunity to salvage his reputation as a player who on his day can offer an awful lot to a team, and not just the head geared sook who has been sporting the red v for the last two seasons

I think any behavioural issues pre dated the signing with Penrith, which would explain why the club didn't fall over themselves to re sign him.

I feel you are being a little harsh there cbd.
"..... behave like soward has."
like what exactly??
others are using the words sook and surly and that old chestnut - "not going to the line" whatever.....
rubbish I say!!
To me, he still looks happy on the field and works well with his team-mates.

But there is no doubt his form is down.

I wish I had been the "fly on the wall" to see what has gone on behind the scenes - between sowie and price.

But I wasn't.
I am simply looking in from the outside.
Like everybody else.

So from that perspective (and coloured by my respect for sowie) i feel Jamie has been badly managed by Price and has taken the hit for the bad performance of the team.

Phil Gould will get the best out of him again, I am sure.
best wishes sowie!

bottle

Coach
like what exactly??
others are using the words sook and surly and that old chestnut - "not going to the line" whatever.....
rubbish I say!!

I wish I had been the "fly on the wall" to see what has gone on behind the scenes - between sowie and price.

But I wasn't.
Like everybody else.

So from that perspective (and coloured by my respect for sowie) i feel Jamie has been badly managed by Price and has taken the hit for the bad performance of the team.

best wishes sowie!
HOD, you don't need to be a fly on the wall. Someone will just make up a conversation for you based on their 'best guess' as to what went on, and then you can be in the know like the rest of us.

HOD, you don't need to be a fly on the wall. Someone will just make up a conversation for you based on their 'best guess' as to what went on, and then you can be in the know like the rest of us.

ha ha.

yes Bottle.
I was forgetting the "rules".
Thanks for reminding me.
LOL.

TonyTrugett

Juniors
like what exactly??
rubbish I say!!

But I wasn't.
Like everybody else.

best wishes sowie!

TonyTrugett

Juniors
Not sure that Phil Gould has much to do with the day to day running of the team. He couldn't even tell ABC radio last Sunday afternoon who would take the field.

Not sure that Phil Gould has much to do with the day to day running of the team. He couldn't even tell ABC radio last Sunday afternoon who would take the field.

you are no doubt correct TT - wrt the day to day running of the team.

But Gould would have significant input to the building of the team.
The future.

And I was picking up on past positive comments about Sowie, by Gould - in newspaper and game commentary.

And recent (in game) commentary where Gould said something like... " Saints were no longer using sowie's kicking game to the same extent that helped to win a premiership".

I would be pretty sure Gould has a high opinion of Soward.

TheRev

Coach
Ok, so here are 2 'FACTS' for you:

1) Jamie doesnt break (or genuinely attempt to) break the line like he did when he was regularly (according to Gould) 'The Fastest Man in the World over 40m".

2) Jamie has been dropped 2 times by Price within 12 months, virtually nobody else including Hornby or Fien or Cooper or Chase or Rein were dropped when they were out of form.

If you dont want to read between the lines then thats your call, but you dont seem to present any alternative views to explain why its happened.

Firey_Dragon

Coach
Ok, so here are 2 'FACTS' for you:

1) Jamie doesnt break (or genuinely attempt to) break the line like he did when he was regularly (according to Gould) 'The Fastest Man in the World over 40m".

2) Jamie has been dropped 2 times by Price within 12 months, virtually nobody else including Hornby or Fien or Cooper or Chase or Rein were dropped when they were out of form.

If you dont want to read between the lines then thats your call, but you dont seem to present any alternative views to explain why its happened.

Here is another 'FACT'.

We have a coach with a win ratio that is the worst in the joint ventures history, and staring down missing the finals consecutively for the first time ever.

Who cares what has gone on behind the scenes? Price hasn't proven he is an average coach, let alone a good one. What we have is two people who are obviously at odds with each other, why that is really is irrelevant. The rumours about their relationship existed well before Price was even made coach. The whole team is playing poorly and personality clashes are causing a player to be dropped, it won't change the fortunes for the rest of the squad unless they lift their game massively.