What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Soward Early Release

FlameThrower

Bench
It would have been nice for both parties to swallow their pride and allow soward to play one last game so he can reach 1000 points for the club and to give him and fan farewell. Good luck and all the best until we play you next year.

Well said, this whole episode is not in the Dragons DNA, really poor form by management to treat Soward like this, no matter what many may think, he was key to our success in 2009-2011 and getting shafted like this without a proper send off by his fans just sux.

Well said, this whole episode is not in the Dragons DNA, really poor form by management to treat Soward like this, no matter what many may think, he was key to our success in 2009-2011 and getting shafted like this without a proper send off by his fans just sux.

...it's not about who is more right or wrong than the other, or about backing the right horse. That's factionalism, and is the single most destructive occurrence that de-rails the goals of any organisation, but especially in a 'team'.

It is the politics themselves that is the poison. And to let get to this - IS A DISGRACE... and so very un "Dragons" like!!

Someone had to take command of the situation much earlier on. And for mine, when there is stalemate, it is the leader's responsibility to take the initiative - not necessarily with a view to get their way, but do what you have to to prevent the feud.

That it came to this is basically Management (Steve Price, Peter Doust et al) saying "...oh, we don't know how to manage this"

And they are the experts.

BennyV

Referee
Bellamy has the same affect on average talent that Bennett does, he turns cheap average footballers into high quality first-graders.. they get shipped off due to the cap (Blair a prime example), then he does it again with the next crop.. I understand the cap issues a while back.. but he has held this consistency since 1999, thats 14yrs, thats phenomenal, they are the benchmark.

On top of that, Bellamy is always at the forefront of tactics, his team are the ones that we all copy, sometimes I dont like the way he does it (the wrestling, grappling and slowing down tactics), but he sets the pace... plus the Storms structure in attack and defence is astonishing (granted Cronk/Smith help a great deal).. thats something he has over Bennett imo, Bennett is a legend ofcourse, but I see him as old-school.. I dont think he is an innovator like Bellamy..

Obviously id take either in a heart-beat! Price's tactics and man-management has frustrated me for so long im starting to not care anymore about what team he dishes up.. I cant wait for him to leave our club, and yes I do agree that its a shame in a way that Bellamy didnt come up the Dragons and see if he could prove himself away from the Storm club.. im sure its not just the coach that have led to the clubs success.

Yep, he is an innovator and a damn good man-manager, he's turned ordinary players into superstars with the helped of the Big 3. However, the salary cap scandal and the fallout that followed put a black mark on his career.

I would also take him in a heartbeat (and probably prefer him to Bennett at this stage in their careers), but the fact that he didnt want to test himself away from Storm (in particular, the Big 3) while Bennett did so and succeeded also puts Bennett a peg up. IMO, when both are retired, Bellamy will be remembered as a wonderful coach and Melbourne Storm legend, whereas Bennett will go down in history as the best coach the NRL ever saw.

Mr Red

First Grade
It would have been nice for both parties to swallow their pride and allow soward to play one last game so he can reach 1000 points for the club and to give him and fan farewell. Good luck and all the best until we play you next year.

he currently has 977 points.. thats another 23 points to make 1000. based on the dragons current attack Soward would have had to sign for another 3 years to make 1000 points..

Mr Red

First Grade
The last line is interesting. THis section was gold......

I'm not going to comment on mine and Pricey's relationship," Soward said. "I'd rather talk about the good times like Pricey being an assistant coach to our 2010 premiership win.

yeah i picked up on that line as well... i wonder if Sowie actually said that or it was media interpretation...
I guess that is Soward's way of commenting on the relationship and his thoughts of Price as a coach without really commenting... LOL...

Tommax25

Bench
I saw this line from an article about Soward:

the Illawarra-aligned section of the joint venture's board initially pushed to deny Soward a release because they felt he'd be better off being paid to play reserve grade than head overseas.

That seems a strange thing. They pushed to deny Soward the release HE sought because THEY think he'd be better off playing reserve grade than goign overseas and playing first grade, probably for more money? Ignoring the absurdity of that, why wuold a club think they have the right to deny himma release based on what they think is best for him? That is insane, he is a grown man and its his decision, if you want to deny it as you want to use him thats fine, but the line "they felt he'd be better off" has nothing to do with the clubs needs. I just thought it was odd.

Slippery Morris

First Grade

For Soward to reach 1000 it would take about 5 games the way the Dragons are going.

jenninga

First Grade
They better sign Sam Williams before the June 30 deadline otherwise not keeping Soward purely for depth to cover injury will be one of the dumbest decisions i have ever seen.
Red ,you complain about the treatment of Soward in being dropped to the Cutters and now you complain about him finishing the season in the Super league.The club have done the right thing by Soward by releasing him,keeping him here would have been seen as selfish by many here,even though it is well within the club's right to keep him.

TALENted

Juniors
yeah i picked up on that line as well... i wonder if Sowie actually said that or it was media interpretation...
I guess that is Soward's way of commenting on the relationship and his thoughts of Price as a coach without really commenting... LOL...

It's incorrect "It should have said ...."running the water for Wayne"...

possm

Coach
Red ,you complain about the treatment of Soward in being dropped to the Cutters and now you complain about him finishing the season in the Super league.The club have done the right thing by Soward by releasing him,keeping him here would have been seen as selfish by many here,even though it is well within the club's right to keep him.

The right thing to do would have been to get rid of Price and appoint a new coach with man management skills - has to be key criteria for a first grade coach. If the Club did this at the end of last year, there would be no problems now; even if it would have been decided not to re-sign Soward.

No doubt Doust got involved in order to limit the fall-out. Doust would have noted how poorly Price has handled this situation because I?m sure Soward would not have held back in communicating his views loud and clear.

TALENted

Juniors
The right thing to do would have been to get rid of Price and appoint a new coach with man management skills - has to be key criteria for a first grade coach. If the Club did this at the end of last year, there would be no problems now; even if it would have been decided not to re-sign Soward.

No doubt Doust got involved in order to limit the fall-out. Doust would have noted how poorly Price has handled this situation because I?m sure Soward would not have held back in communicating his views loud and clear.

Doust would've noticed please possm !

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I saw this line from an article about Soward:

the Illawarra-aligned section of the joint venture's board initially pushed to deny Soward a release because they felt he'd be better off being paid to play reserve grade than head overseas.

That seems a strange thing. They pushed to deny Soward the release HE sought because THEY think he'd be better off playing reserve grade than goign overseas and playing first grade, probably for more money? Ignoring the absurdity of that, why wuold a club think they have the right to deny himma release based on what they think is best for him? That is insane, he is a grown man and its his decision, if you want to deny it as you want to use him thats fine, but the line "they felt he'd be better off" has nothing to do with the clubs needs. I just thought it was odd.
They probably rate him enough to think he would improve the Cutters' chances in 2013. Either way, it's not a very practical stance to take.

jenninga

First Grade

You seem to have all the answers possm,know whats going on.
Well they didn't get rid of Price,and decided Soward wasn't to be in future plans,FACT.Allowed Soward to continue playing at a high level in England rather than play in the reserves,FACT.
Unlike the bullsh*t scenarios you keep coming up with to suit your argument.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Just like some people on the forum the Dragons Management seem to support the Coach more than the players. For it to get like this we all know who is to blame.

If Price nipped this in the but as soon as they did not see eye to eye which from some reports was last year then Saints would not be in this position because he would have dropped him last season, Soward would have gone to England and Saints would have had time to look for a replacement for the 2013 season. Instead he let it fester on another season until breaking point which was too late.

Does anyone know when the Soward / Price friction started?

Bennett, Gould and Cleary seem to think Soward is a capable player but what would they know. Price is a much better coach than them. Good luck next season Soward.

Godz Illa

Coach
Pretty sure the club were keen to release Soward at the end of last year, but the Rangi Chase deal fell through, and then Kyle Stanley got injured. Had no choice but to keep him. Not the best circumstances for him or Price and obviously things went a little further south from there

giboz71

First Grade
Will be interesting to see how he goes next year? Is he really passed it or was it something else?

If he ends up ripping us to shreds playing for the Panthers, I guess we'll know.

I personally think he'll bounce back and look forward to rubbing our noses in it if he gets the chance.

Mr Red

First Grade
Does anyone know when the Soward / Price friction started?

i have mentioned previously the moment i first noticed the friction, it was back in 2011 when Price was running the water bottle still.
playing the raiders in Canberra, they just scored and the dragons were huddled behind the goal post waiting for the conversion..

Pricey was yelling at Soward about something (i couldnt hear what) but was giving it to him in front of the rest of the team..

Soward turned around and yelled back at Price "do you want to f*cking play instead?"

it wasnt a good look for both Price and Soward.. i suspect this was the start of the personality clash.

Fiery

Juniors
You seem to have all the answers possm,know whats going on.
Well they didn't get rid of Price,and decided Soward wasn't to be in future plans,FACT.Allowed Soward to continue playing at a high level in England rather than play in the reserves,FACT.
Unlike the bullsh*t scenarios you keep coming up with to suit your argument.

God have mercy you are a painful person. This is a forum. Is anyone allowed to have an opinion that differs from yours without it being bullsh*t, having "deadly consequences" and etc? Aside from that, is English your second language or were you drunk when composing that message? Maybe "Serb Dragon" knows the guy who said "Even slander should make sense." In your case it should be modified to say "Even trolling should make sense."

BennyV

Referee
God have mercy you are a painful person. This is a forum. Is anyone allowed to have an opinion that differs from yours without it being bullsh*t, having "deadly consequences" and etc? Aside from that, is English your second language or were you drunk when composing that message? Maybe "Serb Dragon" knows the guy who said "Even slander should make sense." In your case it should be modified to say "Even trolling should make sense."

I hope the irony isn't lost on you...

Latest posts