What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Soward Early Release

BennyV

Referee
I agree, it's not the way he would have wanted to go and all, and it's a shame he didnt get a farewell...I just hope that everyone saying 'wish he'd received one final home game' was in the p*ss poor crowd at Hornby.Youngs last home game last year...

Mr Red

First Grade
its an absolute disgrace and disgusting decision by Price to let Soward leave mid season.. as if we have enough depth in the halves as it is to allow the best half to leave.
so what next Mr Price if Fien or Stanley have an injury??? Move Prior to the halves, or bring in Drinkwater, when only a few days ago you said still has some work to do before being ready for first grade??
Price you are a joke, personality clashes aside surely keeping Soward in the cutters would be the smarter move not only to give Drinkwater someone to learn from, but also be ready to cover for injury......

Mr Red

First Grade
The only difference between the Price years and the Brown years is that Price doesn't have the roster that Brown did.

correct... even Nathan Brown was capable of building/maintaining a decent roster... this basic coaching skill seems to elude Price.

hermidale1

Juniors
Yes Jamie Soward was a good player for the club. But that was while he was performing. If 1 player in your squad is acting like a prima dona, it can upset the balance of the team. He didn't want to be here anymore. He didn't seem enthusiatic. How many people on here have grown so sick and tired of their job, they want out??? Soward may find his old form again at the Panthers, but he didn't have it here at the Dragons in the last couple of seasons. You can blame Steve Price as much as you like, but at the end of the day, if Soward really wanted to be here, he would have lifted. He obviously didn't. Doesn't everyone remember the rumours last year he was going to play Union overseas???

Mr Red

First Grade
If 1 player in your squad is acting like a prima dona - speculation

He didn't want to be here anymore. - incorrect he stated on numerous occasions he wanted to stay

He didn't seem enthusiatic - i disagree given the circumstances (ie knowing he was about to get moved on) i thought he still had more enthusiasm them some of the other first graders...

How many people on here have grown so sick and tired of their job, they want out??? it was more a case of not getting on with your boss to use your "work analogy", rather than being sick of his job...

Soward may find his old form again at the Panthers, but he didn't have it here at the Dragons in the last couple of seasons. do you think its merely a co-incidence that Sowards form came under scrutiny ever since we hired a coach that has no man-management skills?

BennyV

Referee
@Mr Red - you're last statement is a bit off, I understand that Pricey needs to work to get the best out of his players, but it's not up to him to manage Sowards attitude. Soward is a professional footballer and part of a senior playing group, he needs to be setting a good example for the younger players, not putting himself at odds with the coach, who has a whole team to worry about.

Hutty1986

Immortal
This is hands down one of the most f*cking disgusting decisions the club (or should I say chinless slug Price) has ever made. A genuine champion who lead us to a famous premiership victory only three years ago out on his arse after being made the scapegoat of some of his gutless nuffy team-mates. So who does Price put into the 6? Oh wait, the least talented player in the side-Chase Stanley!

Bravo Saints.

possm

Coach
We don't know the full story but my take is this:

Soward did not agree with Price's gam plans and tried to infuence change. Week after week Soward could see his own standing in the game deminish from being a State of Origin player to being a very ordinary five-eighth. Once Soward was signed by the Panthers both Price and Soward let fly with what they thought.

Neither Price nor Soward won the argument and so Price decided to assert his authority by sending Soward to the Cutters. Soward decided to 'I'll show you' by requesting a release. Of course Doust is always one for saving a bit of cash.

Now let's see how we go without Soward. So far over the past few weeks ,I haven't seen any improvement. Our attack is still unstructured and has no penetration. Our halves are still speed bumps in defence and our brick wall defence is a distant memory. No real change or improvement at all.

My view is, if we got rid of Price, the team would breath fire again!

Godz Illa

Coach
His form was shyte. That we could see. What we can't see is: supposedly his attitude was worse and word is he was on the nose with teammates. Untenable is the right word to use in that case. Make a break and move on. It's a sad way to end things but not everyone gets the fairytale. In fact hardly anyone does.

Thanks for the good times Jamie. All the best in the future

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Fact is, we don't know all the facts.

I doubt very much if the decision to drop Soward was done lightly. At the end of the day, when a coach and a player are in disagreement, the coach will win that battle. So I'm not sure what choice the club had. They're not going to side with the player over the coach.

Fiery

Juniors
Fact is, we don't know all the facts.

I doubt very much if the decision to drop Soward was done lightly. At the end of the day, when a coach and a player are in disagreement, the coach will win that battle. So I'm not sure what choice the club had. They're not going to side with the player over the coach.

May I ask you a personal question? It's ok if you don't want to answer. How important is this forum to you? Do you place it above immediate family?

Fiery

Juniors

Untrue that he is the greatest coach or as to why he left? IMO both are untrue. IMO his success at the Dragons was more a reflection of how bad Brown was as a head coach. Now despite dramatically strengthening the roster at Newcastle they have gone backwards. Still, he is 100 times better than Price. Price can't be compared to any other coach because he simply isn't one.

BennyV

Referee
Untrue that he is the greatest coach or as to why he left? IMO both are untrue. IMO his success at the Dragons was more a reflection of how bad Brown was as a head coach. Now despite dramatically strengthening the roster at Newcastle they have gone backwards. Still, he is 100 times better than Price. Price can't be compared to any other coach because he simply isn't one.

Out of interest, which coaches would you put above Bennett?

jenninga

First Grade
We don't know the full story but my take is this:

Soward did not agree with Price's gam plans and tried to infuence change. Week after week Soward could see his own standing in the game deminish from being a State of Origin player to being a very ordinary five-eighth. Once Soward was signed by the Panthers both Price and Soward let fly with what they thought.

Neither Price nor Soward won the argument and so Price decided to assert his authority by sending Soward to the Cutters. Soward decided to 'I'll show you' by requesting a release. Of course Doust is always one for saving a bit of cash.

Now let's see how we go without Soward. So far over the past few weeks ,I haven't seen any improvement. Our attack is still unstructured and has no penetration. Our halves are still speed bumps in defence and our brick wall defence is a distant memory. No real change or improvement at all.

My view is, if we got rid of Price, the team would breath fire again!
Don't care who is right or who is wrong.Both parties move on ,the club has done a good thing for Soward in releasing him to the ESL,rather than holding him back in the Cutters.
I would be disappointed if Soward has a whinge in the future ,it would be good if he can move on with his career with dignity,unlike Mundine who left so many of us with a bad taste.

FundyDragon

Bench

Fiery you really are only 16 years old hey? I know I should be ignoring your posts but they are just so hilarious I can't stop reading them.

Fiery

Juniors
Out of interest, which coaches would you put above Bennett?

Hasler for sure and probably Bellamy. Bennett had almost the entire QLD team during his years at Brisbane. I know Bellamy had very good players too but he recruited and trained them from all over NSW and QLD, they didn't just naturally join the Broncos.