What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Soward out for 6 weeks

soc123_au

Staff member
John has always been decent when filling in. I would be loathe to move Moylan at this stage.

GongPanther

Referee
John played very well on the weekend,and his experience in 1st grade last year will see him walk straight into the side and will fit into the side like a well worn glove.

It's imperative to get Sowie mended,even if it takes a couple of months.

PANTHERMIKE

Juniors
Its unconfirmed reports at the moment. Soward turned up to training this morning with scan results.

Guess we will know sooner rather than later.

Fingers crossed..

MrAnonymous

Bench
Leave Moylan at FB would rather him Have a whole pre season at 5/8 before we move him there. John is more then capable of filling the void.

TheFrog

Coach
Moylan is no chance of getting a Blues jersey and nor should he. His defence is just not good enough. Furthermore, NSW are not interested in playing a passing game which is why they picked Reynolds and Hodgkinson. They play a power game based on defence and forward domination. Moylan would be a fish out of water in the current side and would get smashed every time he got the ball. And that's assuming he could prise it out of the fingers of Gallen as he takes his 400th hit up. QLD would know he is the only player likely to put on a pass and would just line up and knock him over. Brett Morriss has shown he will be a more than capable replacement. He doesn't have the passing game, but he is faster stronger, a better defender and reads the game pretty well. A much safer bet than Moylan. Brett Stewart would be next in line before Moylan as well. Been there, done that and in good form. Faster, stronger, better defender, reads the game well.

Players should play where they are told to, so I don't think he will have a say. However, it makes no sense to change two positions (5/8 and fullback) when you can just one and pick a player who has played there before at first grade level.

I agree with most of this. Having won the series last year with bash and barge from Gallen and Co., Daley may well go the same path again. Strange, though, when he was a member of a Canberra side that had such success moving the ball around.

Basically, I think Daley feels we have the wood on Queensland up front, and that's where he played it last year and seems likely to again. The fullback is there to stop tries and catch bombs, that's all. You had the most dangerous attacking player in Rugby League in the No 1 last year and he never saw the ball, he saw plenty of defence though.

I think Daley will have Dugan at fullback if he is fit, in accordance with the kind of game plan he seems to prefer. It would be pointless selecting Moylan unless you are prepared to make use of his skills which would mean a completely different game plan to last year. So I'd rather Moylan doesn't get picked until NSW has a coach prepared to make proper use of him.

Last edited:

Pomoz

Bench
I agree with most of this. Having won the series last year with bash and barge from Gallen and Co., Daley may well go the same path again. Strange, though, when he was a member of a Canberra side that had such success moving the ball around.

Basically, I think Daley feels we have the wood on Queensland up front, and that's where he played it last year and seems likely to again. The fullback is there to stop tries and catch bombs, that's all. You had the most dangerous attacking player in Rugby League in the No 1 last year and he never saw the ball, he saw plenty of defence though.

I think Daley will have Dugan at fullback if he is fit, in accordance with the kind of game plan he seems to prefer. It would be pointless selecting Moylan unless you are prepared to make use of his skills which would mean a completely different game plan to last year. So I'd rather Moylan doesn't get picked until NSW has a coach prepared to make proper use of him.
Exactly my point. I want all the Panther's players to be picked if they are good enough, but I don't want them hung out to dry which is what I think will happen. If they pick different halves and some ball playing forwards like Stewart, then it would suit Moylan more.

I believe if Cronk played in game two last year, we lose. We had nothing in attack and were lapped in game three when he played.

Last edited:

betcats

Referee
You're saying they wont pick a ballplaying FB because they arent picking ballplaying halves or forwards?? lol cmon.

The lack of ball players(especially halves) is partly why Moylan is a good chance(form permitting), NSW will need someone to create especially with Hayne gone. Bash and Barg wont work with Stewart or Dugan they arent half the FBs hayne is. Moylan might not be either but he adds a dimension of attack NSW desperately need; ballplaying, though Stewart is no slouch there either. Its still very much in the air but imo Moylan is a great chance right now, if he continues in this for how do you not pick him?

Last edited:

Doomednow

Bench
Yeah nah don't see Moylan in there with the current team philosophy. At the risk of this turning into a SOO thread I also can't see NSW winning again with the same strategy as last year.

maple_69

Bench
If Moylan continues on as he has he can't be overlooked. I doubt he'll be picked if Dugan is fit and going alright as Daley doesn't seem to care for Penrith but we'll probably lose. Between Jeynolds, Hodko and Dugan there isn't enough points to beat even an aging QLD side. If Daley is serious about building a team capable of dominance for the next few years it will include Moylan, A Reynolds and someone like Mullen.

Anyway back to Soward. I'd be fine with the DWZ, Moylan shuffle but John will be fine. Seg stepped up big time in the playmaking last year, Moylan has gone to another level and John is very solid. Good thing Mansour is back as we may need his extra metres without Sowie.

Better injuries now than in August.

murraymob

Coach
Its unconfirmed reports at the moment. Soward turned up to training this morning with scan results.

Guess we will know sooner rather than later.

Fingers crossed..

we will know tomorow on spuds sick list he will say the length of time out

Pomoz

Bench
You're saying they wont pick a ballplaying FB because they arent picking ballplaying halves or forwards?? lol cmon.

The lack of ball players(especially halves) is partly why Moylan is a good chance(form permitting), NSW will need someone to create especially with Hayne gone. Bash and Barg wont work with Stewart or Dugan they arent half the FBs hayne is. Moylan might not be either but he adds a dimension of attack NSW desperately need; ballplaying, though Stewart is no slouch there either. Its still very much in the air but imo Moylan is a great chance right now, if he continues in this for how do you not pick him?

You didn't quite get what I am saying. I said if they pick Moylan and put him in the team they had last year, with its agricultural basic football, Moylan will be smashed into the middle of Penrith Bowling club. Pick a team with more ball players then he has a chance to add his flair because QLD can't target him. Simple really. if Daley wants bash and barge he will go for strength and tackling, not finesse. Ergo, Moylan misses out.

I want Moylan to get picked if he is good enough, but right now Stewart, Morris and Dugan are better options with the NSW game plan. Stewart is just a better player full stop.

betcats

Referee
You didn't quite get what I am saying. I said if they pick Moylan and put him in the team they had last year, with its agricultural basic football, Moylan will be smashed into the middle of Penrith Bowling club. Pick a team with more ball players then he has a chance to add his flair because QLD can't target him. Simple really. if Daley wants bash and barge he will go for strength and tackling, not finesse. Ergo, Moylan misses out.

I want Moylan to get picked if he is good enough, but right now Stewart, Morris and Dugan are better options with the NSW game plan. Stewart is just a better player full stop.

Guys at this level can play with enough 'flair' that Moylan wont be anymore targeted than any other fullback, these are the best players in the state they arent just bash and barge footy players who cant do anything else, Moylan could eaisly slip in behind them and be the link man between the halves and guys like Jennings and the Morris brothers. You focus too much on Moylan and he will eventually pick out the right pass and put someone into space, thats his talent.

Its just a matter of whether Laurie wants to pick him or not, I know he likes Dugan a lot and Stewart might be a better player but he is also pushing 30 and injury prone.

Pomoz

Bench
Sorry, Betcats, the footy dished out by NSW last year was basic bash and barge. We were awful in attack and found it difficult to score points. Just because Reynolds or Hodgkinson were picked as halves at "this level" as you put it, doesn't suddenly turn them into ball playing pass masters with flair. I saw no flair in NSW's performance, just some brilliance from Hayne, courage and determination. Name the ball players who Moylan is going to slot seamlessly in with?

The difficulty we have when we play QLD is we have to watch Slater, Thurston, Cronk, Inglis and Smith. You don't know what they are going to do and if you focus on one player the others will get you. Last year in NSW it was Hayne. Hodgkinson couldn't run out of sight on a dark night and isn't known for his passing, Reynolds is more likely to throw a forward pass than a face pass, albeit he at least makes plenty of breaks. That pretty much leaves Farah, who I grant you is a flair player, to do it all.

betcats

Referee
Sorry, Betcats, the footy dished out by NSW last year was basic bash and barge. We were awful in attack and found it difficult to score points. Just because Reynolds or Hodgkinson were picked as halves at "this level" as you put it, doesn't suddenly turn them into ball playing pass masters with flair. I saw no flair in NSW's performance, just some brilliance from Hayne, courage and determination. Name the ball players who Moylan is going to slot seamlessly in with?

The difficulty we have when we play QLD is we have to watch Slater, Thurston, Cronk, Inglis and Smith. You don't know what they are going to do and if you focus on one player the others will get you. Last year in NSW it was Hayne. Hodgkinson couldn't run out of sight on a dark night and isn't known for his passing, Reynolds is more likely to throw a forward pass than a face pass, albeit he at least makes plenty of breaks. That pretty much leaves Farah, who I grant you is a flair player, to do it all.

Moylan is the ball player, whatever halves we pick will be able to run to the line and pass it wide or short. This idea that Moylan need a team full of ball players to be effective is idiotic.

Pomoz

Bench
Betcats, what's doing with the insults? Hodgkinson and Reynolds can run to the line and pass it wide and short? Stop it, you're killing me.

Last edited:

maple_69

Bench
Whether you rate Jeynolds and Hodkinson as ball players or not I think its pretty evident over the last few years that Daley hasn't built his game around ball playing. I think that's been as much to do with the talent of the players available and the necessity to not play the game that QLD will dominate every day of the week. We've seen Jennings completely left out to dry on the edge while Beau Scott receives good ball etc and as a result he wasn't seen as a dominant Origin level centre until recently. If Moylan is picked, which he should be, and Daley doesn't use him properly, it's not going to help him. If he does get picked and Daley uses him properly, Moylan has shown that he learns and improves his game from every experience. It will be very good for Penrith.

As a side note to the comment that Moylan is a poor defender. I read comments somewhere that he had caught up with Daley to discuss what he needed to improve. One thing was his defence. I saw at least 3 try savers from Moylan against the Tits. He's definitely looking to improve. He'll never be an Inglis but if he can nail his positioning and contact he can be a solid defensive fullback. The guy's attitude is so impressive.

betcats

Referee
I understand that we have played a pretty dour or conservative gameplan under Daley but to think Moylan is no chance of being picked because of that is really what I find idiotic. His form obviously makes him a chance of being picked, whether he chooses him or not is another thing but he will certainly be considering him if his form holds. Thats a good point about his defence as well I noticed he was pretty good against the tits, Daley will have noticed that too. He asks him to improve his defence and he has responded so far, he has to keep it going to count though.

Last edited:

Pomoz

Bench
Theres nothing with insults im just speaking plainly. I find your opinion on this idiotic.
I'll speak plainly too. What is your problem? An innocent comment about his chances and you start using "idiotic". Don't debate if you are going to resort to insults. Being a rude pr*ck doesn't improve the strength of your commentary. It just shows the weakness in your argument.

The "no chance" is based on the following:
Daley has proven to be a conservative coach who has gone for a basic game plan.
The game plan minimises passing and emphasises hitting the ball up. Daley wants a good kick return to start the sets.
Gallen has publicly backed Dugan.
Moylan is unproven.
Morris is in great form and is proven. Great kick returner.
Stewart is in great form and is proven. A good kick returner.
Dugan is popular with the players according to Paul Kent on NRL 360.
Daley hates Penrith.

Nothing idiotic about those facts.

What maple said is right. if he picks Moylan and then doesn't use him properly, then it won't end well for Moylan. He will look poor and in all likelihood get smashed. I have severe doubts that Daley will use him like he plays at Penrith. He doesn't seem to want NSW to use the ball. I hope they don't play like they did last year. It was like watching glaciers form.