What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

soward

Reyter

Juniors
Check the stats Jamie, they aren't outplaying you mate.

Lets be honest. Carney is outplaying him by a mile. You can see this by seeing the stats of the Sharks centres. This year, according to stats they are pretty much the best centres in the game. Those Cronulla centres could most likely only get a game in the top grade for the Sharks.

saint06

Juniors
The year after we won, the club had a fans day for red V members. Hang with the players, get a few autographs, buy the Premiers jersey, have a photo with the trophy (that was my favourite part - hangs proudly in my room). I got Jamie's autograph and explained to him that by kicking the field goal in the prelim he had won me 6 cases of beer, a $350 dinner - all given to me by my tiger mates.

All i asked was for a hug.....He refused. Never really looked at him the same way....

As for his season and his form, i dont think its been that bad - yes he is getting used to a few things, but i think he's been going ok. I think he has suffered by not having Cooper out there with him for a few games, but the majority of things we do, still stems from what Jamie does. He isn't a coward, he isn't playing bad, sure i dont think he should get picked for origin, but maybe i'm being selfish that way, but he is still the linch pin in our side - he is still the one who can lead us to September and further.

Dragon2010

First Grade
Saint06. When I went to the game2 Origin signing last year. Most of the players where fairly approachable and able to converse. Like had a chat with Gaz about his kid, joked around with Mannah and Hoppa. The shame was when I got to Soward and tried to make conversation he didn't say a word, shot me a look and did the same to my mate. Not that I cared really, Im just saying.

saint06

Juniors
Yeah Jamie wouldn't really have a chat with anyone else either that day, just sign his name and look for the next thing to sign. Some of the other players were really good, Benny Creagh, Horse, Coops and even Cuthbo.

I have run into other players out and about - saw Gaz one night, the year that Brownie was going to move him to 5/8. He was up for a chat and a laugh, its good to see that he wasn't full of himself to have a chat, especially when he heard i was a Saints supporter.

Saw Mark Coyne recenty too one night, and he was very approachable.

Its a shame Jamie couldn't see the fun side of just a hug.....

fred95

Juniors
Im just glad we have Jamie Soward in the team, from the moment we jagged him from the Roosters he always had that bit of X Factor about him. Soward is a champion.

The Roosters dumped Soward and Rooster supporters were happy to see him go , I wonder how much longer will the Saints put up with a five eighth with a ton of speed yet lacks the courage to take on the defensive line.

64 Dragon

Coach
The Roosters dumped Soward and Rooster supporters were happy to see him go , I wonder how much longer will the Saints put up with a five eighth with a ton of speed yet lacks the courage to take on the defensive line.

Go bag out the Roosters! We have enough critics and haters here already!

Reyter

Juniors
Go bag out the Roosters! We have enough critics and haters here already!

WTF???? What's wrong with you trolls?! Just because someone criticizes the team, the team which is usually defending well but attacking terribly, doesn't make the person "a hater". It makes he/she honest and willing to tell it how it is because he/she is unhappy about the performance of the team.

IMO Soward hasn't been playing badly but it's a fact he hasn't been playing well either.

Godz Illa

Coach
Since the Roosters dumped Soward he has won every trophy there is. The Roosters have nothing

ebbedfred

Bench
Lots of teams have 1 player they really NEED, 1 player that is so valuable they are not the same team without that person, for Parra it's Hayne, for Manly it was Brett Stewart for a long time, for Canberra Campese etc.

I've asked numerous non saints fans which player the Dragons need the most on the field, and nearly all say Soward, they all said last year we'd be no hope if he got injured long term. These same people love to bag him because they don't support saints, but still agree he is one of if not the most important person in the team, if only for his kicking game.

love my saints

Juniors
WTF???? What's wrong with you trolls?! Just because someone criticizes the team, the team which is usually defending well but attacking terribly, doesn't make the person "a hater". It makes he/she honest and willing to tell it how it is because he/she is unhappy about the performance of the team./QUOTE]

No one was criticizing our "terrible" attack in 2010 wer they??? Of course not, but hey, let's bag out soward like other scum supporters do, and let's put Kyle at 5/8, he can play one good game, and be out injured for the next two!!!!! I hope soward rips shit up for the remainder of this year then leaves, see how many of u haters have a sudden change of heart about him!!!

CLOWNS!!!!!

64 Dragon

Coach
WTF???? What's wrong with you trolls?! Just because someone criticizes the team, the team which is usually defending well but attacking terribly, doesn't make the person "a hater". It makes he/she honest and willing to tell it how it is because he/she is unhappy about the performance of the team./QUOTE]

No one was criticizing our "terrible" attack in 2010 wer they??? Of course not, but hey, let's bag out soward like other scum supporters do, and let's put Kyle at 5/8, he can play one good game, and be out injured for the next two!!!!! I hope soward rips shit up for the remainder of this year then leaves, see how many of u haters have a sudden change of heart about him!!!

CLOWNS!!!!!

Hey Love my saints, I'll second that!!

Penfolds Wines

Juniors
Not true, they do have a nice pretty spoon made of wood. :D

The Roosters suck, and it was awesome to tear them a new one in the GF, but they did OK in 2010. For instance, the guy who took Soward's place at 5/8 won the Dally M in 2010.

He also won the Provan-Summons Medal after being voted the fans' player of the year, as well as five-eighth of the year.

Then he (quite rightly) got pushed out, and the true depth of that team was exposed in 2011. Carney is living proof of how important a fully-firing 5/8 is to a team's success. He's proving that again at Cronulla.

Every St-Ill. fan wants Soward to fire. Shit, there's nothing better than watching him inflict pain on the opposition. But he's barely done it this year, and that's a fact. And if he doesn't start doing it soon, and maintain it for the rest of the season, the team will really struggle. But if he does, he'll do what Carney did in 2010 and take us all the way. Here's hoping that's what happens.

64 Dragon

Coach
Carney didn't take Soward's spot! I don't think Soward ever played 5/8 in first grade. He played half. Carney was fullback for a while, then took Anasta's spot at 5/8. I think, not really up on Roosters history.

TheRev

First Grade
No one was criticizing our "terrible" attack in 2010 wer they??? Of course notCLOWNS!!!!!

Errr we were extremely critical of the Dragons Attack between 2009-2011 (nothing has changed, apart from the loss of Boyd/Gaz/Smith etc), im not sure why people keep assuming the opposite?

We won games through our defence, but if we didnt get out to a lead, or had a few decisions go against us, we were (and still are) in a lot of trouble, because we do not have the ability to reliably convert possession into points... we had some nice runs from coops/morris/creagh & jagged Gaz mid-season luckily, which was crucial to winning in 2010.

Doesn't mean we cant score some great tries, or if someone has a blinder... but its been clearly our weakest area for 4 seasons.

Minh

First Grade
Lots of teams have 1 player they really NEED, 1 player that is so valuable they are not the same team without that person, for Parra it's Hayne, for Manly it was Brett Stewart for a long time, for Canberra Campese etc.

I've asked numerous non saints fans which player the Dragons need the most on the field, and nearly all say Soward, they all said last year we'd be no hope if he got injured long term. These same people love to bag him because they don't support saints, but still agree he is one of if not the most important person in the team, if only for his kicking game.

I reckon our form slump at the back end of 2011 also coincided with the niggling back/leg injuries to Jamie Soward. On kicking alone he is invaluable he's no Lockyer or Thurston but he is still an awesome player.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
LOL! That is too dumb for words.

Soward was part of a premiership winning team dickhead. An Easts discard who shined at Saints. The fact that he came back and handed them their arse in 2010 grates on Easts supporters more than any other fan-base.

It's back to school for you. Loser.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
The Roosters suck, and it was awesome to tear them a new one in the GF, but they did OK in 2010. For instance, the guy who took Soward's place at 5/8 won the Dally M in 2010.

He also won the Provan-Summons Medal after being voted the fans' player of the year, as well as five-eighth of the year.

Then he (quite rightly) got pushed out, and the true depth of that team was exposed in 2011. Carney is living proof of how important a fully-firing 5/8 is to a team's success. He's proving that again at Cronulla.

Every St-Ill. fan wants Soward to fire. Shit, there's nothing better than watching him inflict pain on the opposition. But he's barely done it this year, and that's a fact. And if he doesn't start doing it soon, and maintain it for the rest of the season, the team will really struggle. But if he does, he'll do what Carney did in 2010 and take us all the way. Here's hoping that's what happens.
How many premierships has Carney won?

The Carney saga:
Signed by Canberra.
The best thing sinced sliced bread.
Thrown out of Canberra.
Signed by Easts.
The best things since sliced bread.
Thrown out of Easts.
Signed by Sharks.
The best things since sliced bread.
Is there a pattern forming here?

Saint69

Juniors
The only complaint I would have with Soward is that he doesn't use his pace to run through the line/gaps,I think his defense has improved big time and obviously his kicking game overall is still top notch.With the players the Dragons have currently I don't think we have too much to complain about and I think they will prove to be very competitive and if they have a good run with Injuries from here on can challenge depending on how we come out the other side of SOO after we saw what a waste last year was.Hornby deserves the respect he himself has shown towards the Dragons jersey and from what I have seen so far this year he has done alright,if and when he decides to tap himself on the shoulder and say its time is for him to decide as I believe he has a contract for next year if he wants it.
As far as our attack has gone this year,we have suffered from not making the most of our chances when they come up which makes us look ordinary when we don't score points in 4 of the last 6 halves,yet in the Cronulla game if Nights gets awarded his try and Youngy grounds the ball we are almost even,against the Knights we had the run of play yet not the big points differential,anyway I think the Dragons , the Knights and Cronulla will all be around the top 8 as they have got their defensive game at this stage in order.