What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spike TV ratings for the NRL

RugbyHighlights

Juniors
So today and yesterday i've been trying my arse off to get some viewing figures for the NRL on Spike. And I'm close to nailing it.

Spike's on Friday 11p-1a = 269,000 avg. viewers

RugbyHighlights

Juniors
That's pretty good for a late night slot on Spike by the way, in football(nfl) season.

TNA, a wrestling show they've ran with for years now, only hits around 1 million viewers a week. And that's one of their biggest shows.

RugbyHighlights

Juniors
Actually i've got that wrong. The Nielsen ratings work with points.

So NRL on Friday at 11pm got a .2% share. Meaning .2% of all tvs in America on average were watching the NRL.

Where as TNA wrestling actually gets a 1.0 average share, which is 1.15 million tvs tuned in.

Confusing stuff. But a .2 isn't that bad, I don't think.

RugbyHighlights

Juniors
It will be interesting to see how things progress into the finals.

Go Spike.

Indeed, there's some heavy sporting competition though. Not the greatest time for the NRL.

The NFL this year are smashing most previous tv records for this time of year, according the websites i've been on.

In the NFL off season i'd imagine you'd see a spike in tv ratings for the nrl, pun intended, if they aired the best game each round or something

It's definately good stuff though. 11pm at night is late. If you could get a 9pm slot you'd be looking at atleast a .5 share.

Goddo

Bench
Yeah the timeslot is killing it off a bit. Very promising signs though to get 1/4m people watching the first time it is shown. Grand Final will be at 11am, and the results there would be interesting

Coaster

Bench
The ratings for the first game is just a platform, it will be more interesting to see whether they increase, that will be the indication of word of mouth.

bobmar28

Bench
So long as we can make them understand the difference between Rugby and League.

Not having much luck there.

And we couldn't have picked a worse time to get our game on American TV. The same weekend as the NFL season kicked off. If we could get some games on in their off season that might help.

Ridders

Coach
As long as they don't understand the difference, having our game on Spike means nothing. All it does is give Rugby some free publicity.

bobmar28

Bench
Actually i've got that wrong. The Nielsen ratings work with points.

So NRL on Friday at 11pm got a .2% share. Meaning .2% of all tvs in America on average were watching the NRL.

Where as TNA wrestling actually gets a 1.0 average share, which is 1.15 million tvs tuned in.

Confusing stuff. But a .2 isn't that bad, I don't think.

It's not that bad considering One HD only gets 1.8%.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
As long as they don't understand the difference, having our game on Spike means nothing. All it does is give Rugby some free publicity.

Rugby League is a form of rugby, just like union, sevens, nines, touch footy, OzTag, etc... You're making too big a deal about it. Getting Americans to watch it should be the only priority.

Ridders

Coach
Rugby League is a form of rugby, just like union, sevens, nines, touch footy, OzTag, etc... You're making too big a deal about it. Getting Americans to watch it should be the only priority.

Then why are we excited that our game is being shown on Spike if all it does is promote Rugby? Rugby is the only form of the game that is known in the states, and actually has some decent grass roots structures in place.

Mr. Fahrenheit

Referee
You're being either naive or ignorant of the history of RU sh*tting all over the superior code in many emerging countries.

Ridders

Coach
You're being either naive or ignorant of the history of RU sh*tting all over the superior code in many emerging countries.

Sorry that confused me a bit, are you saying that Rugby Union is more dominant than League in alot of contries?

If thats what your saying, than i agree by far it is. What relevance does that have with what i said earlier?

babyg

Juniors
I actually think this is an oppurtunity for us to take the name rugby back. union can then the be the poor cousin namesake.

chrisc101

Juniors

You are stop on, Amercians (and the rest of the non RU & RL world) have no idea at the history and prejudice between the two codes. At the end of the day it is another form of Rugby and we shouldn't get hung up on them calling it that.

This is a totally different issue to Victorians calling it Rugby. They do that because they are ignorant closed minded morons. Thus their sport is VFL..

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Then why are we excited that our game is being shown on Spike if all it does is promote Rugby? Rugby is the only form of the game that is known in the states, and actually has some decent grass roots structures in place.

When you say 'rugby' in Australia you automatically think of union simply because of their successful PR campaign to hijack the word. When you say 'rugby' in the USA they automatically think 'football without pads'.

If they show NRL on Spike for a while then no-one will watch the boring sh*t that is the S14 or Euro-union... As long as Spike keep branding the NRL all over their telecasts/ads then we'll be fine.

Look at the twitter feeds, people are already claiming to be fans of the Melbourne Storm. As long as the NRL brand and our team brands get out there then we'll be fine.

Coaster

Bench
It is also about selling our product, if they call it foozeball i couldnt give a rats, if Spike can gain a market for League, then others will look at it, and it will increase the income in the sport.

After gaining an audience and cementing yourself in there culture, thats when you can explain the differences.

adamkungl

Immortal
Ratings will only improve this week. Very positive comments on twitter, word of mouth could double or triple it.

Latest posts