What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spike TV ratings for the NRL

nomarg

WTF ARE YOU SMOKING RUGBYHIGHLIGHTS...

care about the growth of your game- what a farce-

Rugby has way more red tape than the NRL-

The southern hemisphere tried to change the way the game was played- more open attacking Rugby- The Northen just said - thanks but no thanks- we like having a game with 1 try and 34 drop goals/ pens.....

RugbyHighlights

Juniors
I wasn't responding to you, it was to another poster who claimed that RL should just be ok with this being promoted as Rugby. What i said is that in other countries, RU has squashed the development of RL in an unprofessional and spiteful manner which reeks of an inferiority complex. Therefore RL should be uncompromising in its push into the US.

Rugby League is rugby, why wouldn't it be okay being promoted as rugby?

RugbyHighlights

Juniors
WTF ARE YOU SMOKING RUGBYHIGHLIGHTS...

The southern hemisphere tried to change the way the game was played- more open attacking Rugby- The Northen just said - thanks but no thanks- we like having a game with 1 try and 34 drop goals/ pens.....

What's that got to do with anyone or anything? That's not relevant in the slightest.

You sure you're in the right thread?

nomarg

Your argument is moronic. That's like saying the NFL will never grow in Germany because people will go on Google and search "German Football" and will go to soccer websites instead of american football ones. But wait, the NFL did grow in Germany, because people aren't all simple morons like you suggest.

Rugby League IS RUGBY. The product speaks for itself. There's a reason League is on Spike and not Rugby Union.

People will very quickly see they're two different sports. They'll have the "crazy rugby on spike" and they'll know of the other rugby, the boring rugby.

And so what if union does catch a little of the popularity from NRL being on spike. Who really cares? It's not even relevant

have you seen the ad??

They call the game Rugby in the ad- so people will Google RUGBY-

GOOSE

RugbyHighlights

Juniors
have you seen the ad??

They call the game Rugby in the ad- so people will Google RUGBY-

GOOSE

The game is Rugby. And you could show an American a league game and they'd call it rugby to start with.

You're talking about changing the way an entire nation think via advertising to 250,000 people on Spike TV:lol:

NFL calls itself football. Google 'Football' and it doesn't come up with NFL, it comes up with soccer. Big deal, its irrelivent. I doubt NFL give a sh*t, because it doesn't matter.

Do you really think people are gonna Google rugby, end up on a Union website, and decide never to watch NRL on spike again?:sarcasm:

RugbyHighlights

Juniors

You mentally geniused?

"WTF ARE YOU SMOKING RUGBYHIGHLIGHTS...

The southern hemisphere tried to change the way the game was played- more open attacking Rugby- The Northen just said - thanks but no thanks- we like having a game with 1 try and 34 drop goals/ pens....."

How does that, relate to my post about TV ratings? It has nothing to f**king do with it.

MsStorm

Bench
It is also about selling our product, if they call it foozeball i couldnt give a rats, if Spike can gain a market for League, then others will look at it, and it will increase the income in the sport.

After gaining an audience and cementing yourself in there culture, thats when you can explain the differences.

Agreed.

After reading some of the blogs, people were in awe of our game....they will soon pick up on the difference between the 2 codes.

flamin

Juniors
Rugby League is a far better spectacle and I suspect american TV people also see this but we must carefully position ourselves as distinctive, and whilst connected to Rugby in some regard, we need to also position ourselves closer to american football as well.

We can only distinguish ourselves if people know what we are being distictive against - and the only people who know about rugby union are the ones who've played it. Should people ever see both codes on TV they'll see the difference, and they'll choose what they prefer, ie the Spike rugby is so much better than that Super 14 rugby or whatever. Atm rugby league's there only choice.

Kiki

First Grade
the Jacksonville Axemen position themselves as 'kinda like rugby, but tougher' and 'like rugby but faster, more like the NFL'

that kinda thing. and it works for them, they have a massive fan base and are the most popular team in the AMNRL.

we shouldnt get ourselves in a tizzy coz americans' eyes will just glaze over if u try to explain the difference to them. they dont care coz there isnt that cultural difference like we have, theres no upper class is union and working class is league.

all the yanks i talked to about footy when we were over there with the Axemen, u just have to go about it in a way where u explain how tough and fast it is, they wear no padding and have to play 40 min halves with no stopping and starting. their eyes light up.

there is a huge market over there, i believe strongly in it.

Sleep

Juniors
Jacksonville would of benefited largely from Rusty and the boys visit over there.

I've heard positive things though from some people in the US I recommended watch the finals.

nomarg

You mentally geniused?

"WTF ARE YOU SMOKING RUGBYHIGHLIGHTS...

The southern hemisphere tried to change the way the game was played- more open attacking Rugby- The Northen just said - thanks but no thanks- we like having a game with 1 try and 34 drop goals/ pens....."

How does that, relate to my post about TV ratings? It has nothing to f**king do with it.

One more time for the dummies-

You said
"Only people who care about growth and development of our game"

My comment was in relation to your rhetoric

Thats it I'm done- if you can't work that sh*t out ask a grown up

RugbyHighlights

Juniors
One more time for the dummies-

You said

My comment was in relation to your rhetoric

Thats it I'm done- if you can't work that sh*t out ask a grown up

Listen, you illiterate f**kwit. I'll say again.

"Rugby has way more red tape than the NRL-

WTF does that have to do with anything? Nothing. My point exactly. So stop being a genetically deficient knuckle dragger and learn to stay on topic.

nomarg

Listen, you illiterate f**kwit. I'll say again.

"Rugby has way more red tape than the NRL-

WTF does that have to do with anything? Nothing. My point exactly. So stop being a genetically deficient knuckle dragger and learn to stay on topic.

ROFL- f**ktard

joshreading

Staff member
We can only distinguish ourselves if people know what we are being distictive against - and the only people who know about rugby union are the ones who've played it. Should people ever see both codes on TV they'll see the difference, and they'll choose what they prefer, ie the Spike rugby is so much better than that Super 14 rugby or whatever. Atm rugby league's there only choice.

Unfortunately as a Victorian I can tell you that senario sounds nice but is unrealistic. It is like an aussie watching american football then canadian. If not DIRECTLY and SPECIFICALLY informed they are different. You will notice some key differences but assume it is the same game with different style or emphasis.

Victorians still look at both games in passing and hardly see the differences, they see the ball being passed backwards. Without intentional distinction it might never happen.

joshreading

Staff member
I disagree looking at twitter lots of people love Melbourne Storm now. look up Melbourne Storm it will come up NRL team etc. so most should get the right sport

I am a Storm fan so in one regard that is true but I have looked at twitter and most are not simply impressed by the Storm but the game. I have never suggested NOT using the name Rugby just intentionally using Rugby LEAGUE. Such insistence over time helps the distinctive.

I would even get a series of ads (short) to promote it like Kiki says 'like Rugby but tougher', 'like football but faster' even 'Rugby League V Football - same game different rules'

joshreading

Staff member
Your argument is moronic. That's like saying the NFL will never grow in Germany because people will go on Google and search "German Football" and will go to soccer websites instead of american football ones. But wait, the NFL did grow in Germany, because people aren't all simple morons like you suggest.

Rugby League IS RUGBY. The product speaks for itself. There's a reason League is on Spike and not Rugby Union.

People will very quickly see they're two different sports. They'll have the "crazy rugby on spike" and they'll know of the other rugby, the boring rugby.

And so what if union does catch a little of the popularity from NRL being on spike. Who really cares? It's not even relevant

Yeah, logic in there - not. Germans know American Football clearly due to a HUGE contingent of american soldiers here for FIFTY YEARS. They also know the game as AMERICAN FOOTBALL or NFL not football or 'german football' For clear marketing when they google they need to be given the terms to write in "RUGBY LEAGUE" and "NRL". They will write in Rugby anyway, union will benefit but this is about ensuring RL is by far the bigger beneficiary.

There is a huge sense of naivity if people think that people are going to instantly know the difference. Our eyes often see the clear distinctives NOT all the distinctives in a game. We see american or canadian football and we see big helmets and forward passes but the games are different. (Canadians would tell you itis a faster better game :)

We are in the same boat, in a general worldwide profile we are the CFL NOT the NFL. Because we are the CFL in effect we need to clearly market not just promote in act in an equivalent regard to marketing a new drink called 'pepsi cola' then allowing marketing to simply say 'cola' (which of course primarily benefitted the huge competitors)

joshreading

Staff member
This gives rugby no free publicity.

Your arguments make 0 sense. It doesn't matter whether the people watching Spike know it as rugby or not. This benefits Union in no way at all.

Aside from the ridiculous concept that Union won't benefit from this (which is ok and inevitable) Lets put together a simple marketing exercise.

Two products

One called - Pepsi Cola
2nd Called - Coca Cola

Pepsi Cola starts to advertise and allows itself to commonly be called 'Cola' (which straight up gives profile to its competitor) People enjoying what they see on ads go looking for Cola in their local shop only to find the competitor (it is the bigger of the two and more wide spread). The competitor is not as good but better than what they are used it. In actual fact they enjoy 'Cola'

Pepsi Cola as a brand benefits little from such exposure.

Despite what some people think Rugby League is no more a sub entity of 'Rugby' (such as 7s, despite the name) then Ice Hockey is a sub entity of Field Hockey. If it were such then we better submit to the IRB.

Latest posts