What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

***Spoiler*** Broncos vs Raiders - IN GAME

greeneyed

First Grade
Foz said:
Raider_69 said:
who was the video ref for the game
was it mr bean?

The video ref should have given Canberra a 3 point field goal.

The touchie told the ref it deserved a penalty in front in addition to the field goal. But he didn't award it. I would like to hear the explanation as to why not even a penalty was awarded, yet Carroll gets charged by the review committee for the incident. Must be a refereeing error?

mike83au

Juniors
I would have thought playing the advantage, maybe?

If he had missed the field goal, no doubt that a penalty would have been awarded.

Raider Ultra

Bench
Doesn't matter if the field goal went through, we should've had a penalty 10m out from the sticks. Harrigan laid into Simpkins a bit over that decision in the DT.

mike83au

Juniors
I hear what your saying, but say the field goal was disallowed and the Raiders missed the penalty goal from in front or went for the try and didn't score it.

I thought Simpkins and the touch judge did the right thing in playing the advantage rule.

And as for Harrigan - great referee, but not much of a media bloke to be perfectly honest. Anyone who says that league should allow 2 grid-iron-type passes in each set of 6, loses a bit of credibility in my view.

jed

First Grade
But the point is that the field goal should have been counted (as it was), but a penalty should also have been awarded, giving us the potential for 3 points. Simpkins stuffed up big time.

Also, Harrigan mentioned in the DT that both Woolford's and Graham's tries should have been given the benefit of the doubt my Mander.

greeneyed

First Grade
The same principle applies when a team scores a try, but a foul is committed on the player scoring the try. There is an attempt at conversion, and then a penalty is given in front of the posts for the foul ie 8 point try.

This should have been a 3 point field goal.

greeneyed

First Grade
Our mate Robert Finch admits a mistake was made.

Simpkins given chance in the hot seat
By Roy Masters
June 30, 2004

Referee Paul Simpkins has been appointed to the deciding State of Origin match, despite making a major error in Brisbane's favour on Sunday.

Simpkins did not award a penalty to Canberra at Suncorp Stadium after Raiders half Mark McLinden was hit high by Broncos lock Tonie Carroll after a successful field-goal attempt.

The Raiders led 21-14 thanks to the 73rd-minute field goal and a successful penalty would have increased their lead to nine points.

"There should have been a penalty in front," referees director Robert Finch said yesterday.

Although disappointed by what he described as "extremely poor communication" between Simpkins and his touch judge, Finch submitted two names - Tim Mander and Simpkins - for the chief executives of the NSWRL and QRL to choose from for the July 7 match. Asked what Sean Hampstead, the referee for the first two Origin games, did to not be recommended, Finch said: "He knows, but I'm not getting into personal detail."

Finch said an exchange between Simpkins and touch judge Steve Nash cast blame equally.

Tape of the incident has Nash telling Simpkins: "You've already got the one point."

Simpkins replied: "What do you want?"

Nash said: "Well, it was high."

Finch argues Nash should have been more forceful, despite the touch judge moving to a position 10 metres in front of the posts, indicating a penalty should follow. "He should have said, 'I want a penalty'," Finch said.

Finch said Nash would not be on the line this weekend but had not been dropped.

Martini

Juniors
I cringe everytime i notice Simpkins is going to ref our game... have we forgotten the Dragon's game incident in 2002 (?).... that was him wasn't it?

jed

First Grade
Homer Simpkins also sent Germ off after Luke Williamson ran into him last season at Brooky.

Raider Azz

Bench
Simpkins is a terrible ref. Another incident which really pisses me off is the Newcastle game this year where there was about 40 seconds left on the clock and Newcastle were taking an eternity make the drop out. Simpkins shouldve stopped the clock and never did, therefore 40 seconds of play was completely wasted.

jed said:
Homer Simpkins also sent Germ off after Luke Williamson ran into him last season at Brooky.
Not that it mattered too much Jed, we still beat them by 40 points :lol:

jed

First Grade
Yeah, but imagine what we could've done to them had we been able to field a full side of 13 for the other 70 minutes of the match. And considering Bulgarelli scored 2 tries (yes, there was a time when most of us weren't calling for his head on a pike), he could've ended on 3 or even 4. And Big Joel could have needed 2 hands to count his tally.

raider_at_heart

Juniors
Well that decision by Simpkins not to awars a penalty cost us 8th spot on the ladder. We would have a better for and against then the Knights.