What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

*Spoiler* First Try Tigers vs Dragons

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Yeah it was awarded. So it is a try.

There's always one of these champions on a forum.

Case closed, no debate, shut 'er down. Coz Walt Flanigan said so.

Everyone..gather around. Bring your common sense with you (although it's a pretty rare companion around here).

Was Benji initially aiming a field goal? Without being Mystic effing Meg, was he snapping to go 1-0 up? Like he was in a Football World Cup final?

Chook Norris

First Grade
i was a bit surprised it was ruled as a try, but i can see where they were coming from.

I was more surprised that they commentators were going on about the "benji magic" :lol: luckiest try this year

Mayor West

Juniors
lol you seemed a bit worked up so I was just giving some friendly advice to save your health. Wasnt having a go. lol

Haha, fair enough. It's more the fact that some of these video ref rulings just do my head in. I still don't understand it! Espescially as the video ref has suggested he only contacted the ball after it hit the ground in a drop kick motion.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
There's always one of these champions on a forum.

Case closed, no debate, shut 'er down. Coz Walt Flanigan said so.

Everyone..gather around. Bring your common sense with you (although it's a pretty rare companion around here).

Was Benji initially aiming a field goal? Without being Mystic effing Meg, was he snapping to go 1-0 up? Like he was in a Football World Cup final?

Stated nothing but the truth "champion".

No need to sulk about it.

MatthewA

Juniors
If he had actually kicked it, or it hit his foot, then try. But it didn't. No try, as simple as that.

http://www.nrl.com/fnl1-wests-tigers-v-dragons-hls-/tabid/10959/contentid/387259/default.aspx

Ok the highlights are up, and for me it seems pretty obvious that Benji kicked that ball just before it bounced. Not quite sure what his intention was though. Only 3 possible options. Either a bomb, a shaved trick shot for Lui who was looking to chase, or a similar shaved kick for himself to chase.

No idea how the video ref could think it was an attempted field goal and award the try based on that fallacy, especially since he didn't kick the ball after the bounce.

Was certainly a legal try though.

An41

Juniors
This has happened before, I think it was knights vs raiders. Ennis grubbered for himself and scored. The ball hit the ground and his foot simultaneously in 1 motion.

typicalfan

Coach
Try. Might be lucky but it is a try.

He doesn't have to be kicking for a 'field goal'. Drop kicks are an allowed form of kick in general play, it is rare as it is inefficient but it is as legitimate as a punt.

As it stands although he didn't intend to kick it that way...he did although it was a shank to say the least.

It is a rule that applies to both codes of Rugby.

Danish

Referee
cant see that he made contact at all. Ball deviates, but thats because it was dropped on its end so naturally it would bounce off in a different direction.

Had he done that on his own 40 do you think there is any chance whatsoever they'd call play on?

Still, when you consider this is the year of the barba "try", it was always going to be awarded.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Stated nothing but the truth "champion".

No need to sulk about it.

Why would I sulk? My team plays on Saturday.

All I'm saying is, by your logic, we have no forum. Don't agree with something? Jog on, it's in the book. Think Manly deserved more of a punishment for the Brookvale brawl? Who cares, it's been decided.

Think David Furner coaches a team of wasteful, waste of time f*ckknuckles who won't win a premiership before hell freezes over? Doesn't matter, he's in charge, I've seen the yearbook.

For the record, Walt and his 'it's in the newspaper, lock it' Flanigan aside..ignoring the bizarre 'it was an attempted field goal' nonsense..no actually I can't debate it, I just saw the NRL.com scores. Says Benji scored it. Means it's a try.

Good night.

typicalfan

Coach
cant see that he made contact at all. Ball deviates, but thats because it was dropped on its end so naturally it would bounce off in a different direction.

Had he done that on his own 40 do you think there is any chance whatsoever they'd call play on?
They waived play on, it wasn't as though he was 10 metres out right in front. He had a lot of work to do.

And if they called it back they would have been wrong.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade

Still, when you consider this is the year of the barba "try", it was always going to be awarded.

I would agree, but I saw the point scorers on my iPhone and it said Benji scored. So I have no more to say.

Take your common sense and good judgement elsewhere.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
Why would I sulk? My team plays on Saturday.

All I'm saying is, by your logic, we have no forum. Don't agree with something? Jog on, it's in the book. Think Manly deserved more of a punishment for the Brookvale brawl? Who cares, it's been decided.

Think David Furner coaches a team of wasteful, waste of time f*ckknuckles who won't win a premiership before hell freezes over? Doesn't matter, he's in charge, I've seen the yearbook.

For the record, Walt and his 'it's in the newspaper, lock it' Flanigan aside..ignoring the bizarre 'it was an attempted field goal' nonsense..no actually I can't debate it, I just saw the NRL.com scores. Says Benji scored it. Means it's a try.

Good night.

:lol:

Latest posts