What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

**SPOILER**RLWC08 Game 8: Australia v England

To win?

• Australia

Votes: 27 58.7%
  • England

Votes: 19 41.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
england-flag.gif
England V Australia
images

Time: Sun, 2 Nov 08 19:50 - 21:55
Venue: Melbourne Telstra Dome

On paper it is the game of the tournament, hopefully it will be better than the Australia v New Zealand game that promised so much yet delivered so little. A good crowd is expected for this international - who would have thought that of Melbourne 10 years ago? Fantastic for the game and a smart move by the ARL.

Who will the referee be in this game? I feel it will likely determine the outcome given the ESL fast, flowing style of play will contrast enormously with the wrestle dominated style of the NRL. If the referee allows the aussies to slow the play the ball down, the English will find it hard to mount any useful attacks against the Australian's seriously effective defence, whereas if the English are allowed to keep the game quick I feel they may stand a chance.

Thoughts?

England will be a lot better in this game compared to last week and Aust could be vulnerable after their easy win over the Kiwis.

I think this game will be a close one but I would expect Aust to finish the stronger with a couple of late tries to win by 10 points.

Johnny_L_O

Juniors
I feel we will sneak this maybe 22-20.

England were poor last week but the Leeds players (and Saints) know how to raise the bar in a small amount of time. Look at the semi's this year. Leeds were smashed by 20+ points by Saints in week 2 of he playoffs and 2 weeks later managed to beat them by 12 in the GF. They will also be more up to speed as a "team" this week.

A few things though. Smith has said that he will make a few changes. Calderwood should come in for Smith due to injury but I would bring in Jamie Jones-Buchanan for Gareth Hock and also swap Pryce to FB dropping Wellens. This would place McGuire at FE and Higham would get a bench place.

roopy

Referee
You traditionally win a hard game in the forwards, but to me it looks like Aus has a bunch of backs who are soft and injury prone, and the poms have some hard nuts who will have our prissy prima donnas calling for the medi cab.
Thurston, Lockyer, Tait, Slater - all guys who are one good hit away from limping off the field at any time, and Inglis and Foloau go missing the minute they cop a decent hit.

NK Arsenal

Juniors
Kangaroos to win, but..

If it's played in typical Melbourne weather (4 seasons in a day), the Poms will have a great chance of winning

Johnny_L_O

Juniors
Forecast for Sunday

Cloudy. Areas of rain, easing to isolated showers later in the day. Light winds tending west to northwesterly up to 25 km/h during the morning.

City

Rain then shower or two.
Min 12 Max23

Plays right into Englands hands that

Nz

Juniors
Forecast for Sunday

Cloudy. Areas of rain, easing to isolated showers later in the day. Light winds tending west to northwesterly up to 25 km/h during the morning.

City

Rain then shower or two.
Min 12 Max23

Plays right into Englands hands that

According to your 08 predictions, you have been WRONG all year.

Weather will be fine.

Calixte

First Grade
This will be one of the events of the tournament.

Most disappointed not going to this and Fiji v France of games at the RLWC...

Make the most of it you lucky buggers with tix.

:D

8Ball

First Grade
You traditionally win a hard game in the forwards, but to me it looks like Aus has a bunch of backs who are soft and injury prone, and the poms have some hard nuts who will have our prissy prima donnas calling for the medi cab.
Thurston, Lockyer, Tait, Slater - all guys who are one good hit away from limping off the field at any time, and Inglis and Foloau go missing the minute they cop a decent hit.

Lockyer has probably limped off the field about two times in his career..

typicalfan

Coach
Paul Wellens is going to get owned by Billy in the air unless he improves. Australia beat NZ by 24 and were rusty I think Australia are going to throw everything into this one

marv

Juniors
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12196_4425067,00.html

England: Wellens (St Helens); Gardner (St Helens), Gleeson (Warrington), Senior (Leeds), Calderwood (Wigan); Pryce (St Helens), Burrow (Leeds), Peacock (Leeds, capt), Roby (St Helens), Graham (St Helens), Hock (Wigan), Ellis (Leeds), Sinfield (Leeds)
Replacements: McGuire (Leeds), Morley (Warrington), Fa'asavalu (St Helens), Wilkin (St Helens).

Australia: Slater (Melbourne); Monaghan (Canberra), Inglis (Melbourne), Folau (Melbourne), Tate (NZ Warriors); Lockyer (Brisbane, capt), Thurston (North Queensland); Civoniceva (Penrith), Smith (Melbourne), Price (NZ Warriors), Stewart (Manly), Laffranchi (Gold Coast), Gallen (Cronulla)
Replacements: Kite (Manly), Perry (Manly), Tupou (Sydney Roosters), Hunt (Brisbane).