What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spoonwatch 2017

Patorick

Staff member
I honestly and truly hope Newcastle don't win it again this year. If only for Jamie Buhrer and Josh Starling. And Trent Hodkinson. I respect them very much and hope they do well.

It's way too early to say who will win the spoon with any certainty anyway.

Knight76

Juniors
For sure, so far there are a few clubs looking like they are having poor years, at least in the beginning.

Early days yet for all clubs.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Do you reckon the tiges are more of a chance at the wooden spoon now?

Taylor gone, interim coach, clearly looks to be going to be announced soon enough to replace.

Roster issues.

No chance Ivan will be in charge of a spoon club. I'd be so bold as to suggest, with the decent roster he's going to have, they'll be closer to the 8 than the spoon.

Fortunately for my club, our typical mid-season Origin run means we've never won the spoon and probably will continue to avoid doing so.

Knight76

Juniors
The panthers have shown they are headed for the spoon this year with that performance.

They have peaked too early, and will now struggle for the rest of the year!

NK Arsenal

Juniors
If we keep playing with as much heart as what we did today then I am confident we will avoid the spoon.

Could so easily be on 8 points right now

wibble

Bench
It's tough to tip. All the favourites are looking decent enough.

This year's spoon winner seems like they'll be a better team than the last few.

Big Salad

Juniors
It's pleasing to see the Knights bouncing back this year.

Warriors and Eels are struggling right now, but most teams are inconsistent right now and can probably beat each other on their day.

The Tigers defence should be cause for alarm; those two Storm tries in the second half last week from their own half were embarrassing. Straight through the middle of tired forwards.

Red Bear

Referee
Knights whilst attitude etc is good still have the least quality i think. Tigers if their attitude doesnt improve could go close but i think they have enough attacking quality to win a few games.

NK Arsenal

Juniors
If we didn't concede a try with 7 minutes left v the Warriors, make a few dumb mistakes against Souths (eg a rocket ball to Sio when he was a metre away) and found a way to get in the sharks end with a few minutes to go and kick the point then yes we could have been on 8 points

Do you even watch our games? Or are you just one of those heroes who just look at the scores and ladders and just assume a side is shit without even watching them?

Clifferd

Coach
If we didn't concede a try with 7 minutes left v the Warriors, make a few dumb mistakes against Souths (eg a rocket ball to Sio when he was a metre away) and found a way to get in the sharks end with a few minutes to go and kick the point then yes we could have been on 8 points

Do you even watch our games? Or are you just one of those heroes who just look at the scores and ladders and just assume a side is shit without even watching them?

Life of a Tigers supporter last year. We lost 4 close games by 2 points or less we could've won which would have heavily entrenched us into the top 6. Heck even 1 of those wins would have had us in the 8

nick87

Coach
It'll still be the Knights but they're getting better.

Agree with this
They are at least competitive now but there isn't many wins in that team

How about Hodkinson? Paying him top dollar to be a match winner and with a chance to set up for a game saving play, the merkin runs the ball on 4th tackle and knocks it on!
Haha. Just shitting down his own leg

Card Shark

Immortal
They could be on 8, they have been in a position to win 3 more games with not much time left.

Realistically though, they should've 1 another game.

Inexperience & poor play from their experienced players, namely Hodkinson has let them down.

Noname36

First Grade
Agree with this
They are at least competitive now but there isn't many wins in that team

How about Hodkinson? Paying him top dollar to be a match winner and with a chance to set up for a game saving play, the merkin runs the ball on 4th tackle and knocks it on!
Haha. Just shitting down his own leg

Hodkinson shits all Knights supporters to tears but he was signed to organise the team because that was something Mullen was unable to do. In his two seasons there though he was forced into being the main creative half with Mullen being injured most of last season then getting busted for roids - on top of the rest of the issues/lack of quality/experience in the spine.

Hodko would be fine with a more creative half next to him but he's too limited to be a main half like he is at the Knights at the moment. Lamb has shown some promise but he's just a baby.

The club should have chased Maloney instead no doubt but at the time I understood the plan to sign a genuine (although limited) 7 because we were missing one badly.