What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sports star feared drowned at Bethells

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
that stretch of coastline has taken more lives than any other in NZ.

Prick of a place.

He'll be history, feel for his family and the team.

Exactly what I thought when I heard it. Thoe West Coast beaches are lethal. Here's hoping for a miracle- but I doubt it.

HevyDevy

Coach
I don't know what to say, absolutely stunned. Turned on Fox Sports a while ago and almost fell off my chair.

Makes you realise how quickly these things can happen - and to anyone.

Tragedy.

boxa777

Coach
Still in a state of shock over this.. Because there is no chance of a miracle. Very Sad.

St. Brett

Juniors
Me and my brother were caught in a rip once at Scotts Head way back in 1989.
My brother did exactly what one shouldn't do and that's panic.

What you do is let it take you out then you try and catch a wave back in if you can ride out the rip first.

One of lifes rules - don't panic if you get caught in a rip.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Me and my brother were caught in a rip once at Scotts Head way back in 1989.
My brother did exactly what one shouldn't do and that's panic.

What you do is let it take you out then you try and catch a wave back in if you can ride out the rip first.

One of lifes rules - don't panic if you get caught in a rip.

You're correct- but it's easier said than done. especially at a beach like Bethells. By the time you've been dragged out there you'd probably be half a km offshore in some heavy waves, and in serious trouble anyway.

Dave Q

Coach
I almost drowned at sea once, I was saved by an unlikely angel, if this is true, then this is a terrible tragic thing.

I am sad.

Iafeta

Referee
Absolutely devastating... Hope and pray for some absolute miracle and that this atrocious tragedy is averted.

nibbs

Bench
You're correct- but it's easier said than done. especially at a beach like Bethells. By the time you've been dragged out there you'd probably be half a km offshore in some heavy waves, and in serious trouble anyway.

bethells, piha, muriwai... all really violent beaches... unless he somehow got back and hidden in a cave having a nap, he is finished. ffs

Micistm

Bench
First I heard was a headline on the 1pm Radio News, and was just shocking and very sad.
Like all just hoping for that miracle. Thoughts with the family, just terrible.

blain

Juniors
:O

omg, these things come from no where. imagine the warriors camp atm

this is really sad, i wish more than anything else for him to be ok...

AusKnightRKO

First Grade
R.I.P Sonny..... i knew 2 kiwis who went to that beach 3 years ago wen they went over to nz for holidays..... only one of them came back..... its a deadly beach once its got you, you dont come back

Skram

Juniors
I'm still holding on to what little hope there is but boy, what a huge loss he will be to his family and friends, seems a really genuine guy. Devastating news.

Dave Q

Coach
An almost drowning, a true story in sincere tribute.

You get sewpt away and try to swim and that wears you out.

The first 20 minutes were critical depending upon how long he was in there before.

As you wear out, you slowly start going under.

You push yourself back up to the surface and go under again. Up and down, up and down. You think a thousand thoughts and try not to panic.

The surface gets harder to reach each time you come up, you really have to struggle. Every inch of your strength, take a few breaths, spit water out. Heart rate off the scale.

I played water polo for 6 years, made the zone carnivals for swimming, I could dog-paddle for an hour easily and cut up 800m freestyle without stopping.

But the sea didnt care about all that. I was rescued by a lone surfer out of nowhere. I maybe had a few minutes left, but I felt my days were over. I didnt want to die like that. I prayed and of all the prayers I have made, this was the most important one and gladly, it was answered.

15 minutes seems like an hour because the forces are unrelenting.

He would have gone under at some stage and not have been able to struggle back up.

It would have been dark and I can assure you, very very lonley. It still scares me to think about it.

Ive read a book that says that eventually you black out, you breathe in water but your reflexes stop you from drinking too much of it.

This is a nightmare.

I bet he didnt go without a hell of a fight. I bet he was courageous. I was just lucky.

I still ended up in hospital that night with a complication.

All these swimmers at the beach, they need to respect the surf.

Even as I write, someone is probably drowning at a beach somehwere.

Poor kid, terrible news for anybody with a modicum of love and respect, not just our league family.

I hope we get tougher about these things for peoples own good. Like we do with seatbelts.

Support your lifesavers guys. Always slip them a few bucks when they ask.

God bless his soul and take him into your arms.

My heart goes out to his family and friends.

te tai aparagngi e ano ngaueue toa

(The seas evil spirit will not shake courage)

Last edited:

parra pete

Referee
Terrible incidents like these sorta put a lot of perspective back into life.
What a terrible tragedy for his large family and friends. Deepest sympathy.

There is a fantastic interview between Steven Price and Sonny on You Tube. It was shown on the Daily Telegraph's story on the drowning.
Seemed to be a fantastic young bloke with great family values. The interview shows what a great personality he was. So Sad.
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegrap...001021,00.html

Noa

First Grade

This was one of my favourite poems that i found when my brother died. Sums up what Im sure many who knew Sonny are feeling now.

A Dream Lies Dead

A dream lies dead here. May you softly go
Before this place, and turn away your eyes,
Nor seek to know the look of that which dies
Importuning Life for life. Walk not in woe,
But, for a little, let your step be slow.
And, of your mercy, be not sweetly wise
With words of hope and Spring and tenderer skies.
A dream lies dead; and this all mourners know:

Whenever one drifted petal leaves the tree-
Though white of bloom as it had been before
And proudly waitful of fecundity-
One little loveliness can be no more;
And so must Beauty bow her imperfect head
Because a dream has joined the wistful dead!

Dorothy Parker

Eelectrica

Referee
Wow stunned and saddened.
My condolences to his family, friends, team mates and all Warriors supporters.

I don't really know what else to say except I hope I'm jumping the gun and somehow he's found alive.

Latest posts