What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sports star feared drowned at Bethells

Pumba

First Grade
RIP-Sonny2.jpg

I am posting this banner up. I did have another one made up but I am still holding out hope so it is no use posting it up.

Coastbloke

Bench
Absolutely awful news..

It's not looking good, but let's hope he may have made it back somewhere and is just disoriented or something, but time is getting on..

My thoughts are with his family and friends..I won't say condolences...yet...and I hope I won't need to...

doggone

Juniors
We can only hope and pray for a miracle.

My thoughts with all The Warriors and his family and friends can't imagine how hard it must be for them.

taipan

Referee
Absolutely tragic,one of Nz and the warriors best up and coming players.My thoughts are with his family,mates and fellow players.
A life cut too tragically short.
My motto treat every day ,you have on this rock as special.

Hellsy

Immortal
Terrible terrible news.
I am stunned.

Condolences to family, friends and to all involved in the Warriors club.

He was too young, way way too young

Omegamanson

Juniors
This is f**king HORRIBLE news.. Deepest condolences to his family.. I remember the exact same thing happened to a guy I went to school with, who died trying to save another young promising NRL player by the name of Tai Lavea. Was hoping something like that would never happen again.. :(

Auckland4ever

Juniors
Got woken up by my clock radio this morning & this news was the first thing I heard. Even though I never knew him, I got pretty upset, especially knowing how lethal the sea around there is. Its tragic, and I hope I'm being premature in saying this, but at least he went saving the life of someone he loved. If you have to go, thats the way to do it.

griffo346

First Grade
f**k thats disgusting having jokes about him already im ashamed about that tbh

deepest respect from me to his family and supporters

ozbash

Referee
weird day yesterday, took about 4 hrs to get to sleep, I'm usually in a coma in about 5 mins, couldnt stop thinking about Sonny and his family.

Watching 'Piha Rescue' last night certainly didnt help, it was quite uncanny really, they had a guy who drowned off Lion Rock... of all nights..

Listening to the Butch and John Hart on the radio and you couldnt help but feel for them, Don Mann is another bloke i really feel for.

Will be interesting to see what happens, eg memorial service, when/if Sonny's body is eventually recovered..

Dave Q

Coach
Aussie radio spoke to one of the surf lifesavers yesterday afternoon.

Confirmed he went missing rescuing someone and also that he may have been dumped by a large wave.

Theres a very good chance he could have been knocked unconscious straight away and accordingly, didnt have to go through the regular drowning process I described earlier.

It could have been all over in a split second, if he has drowned, then I hope so.

I saw the family at the beach too, very moving and hard for them to be so powerless.

The life guards were there within 15 minutes boat had problems with their boat.

The body is expected to surface within 48 hours.

Never swim on an unpatrolled beach, especially without any inflatable gear and the means to deploy them.

If he died, then he has died a real hero.

I havent heard any jokes, but I forgive anyone for squarely smacking a person in the chops for making one.

Im still a bit down about it.

I saw the interviews with family and friends, its clear that they are still in a state of shock.
Understandable and very human. They are in a lot of pain.

Last edited: