What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sports teams with the highest salaries

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Making about as much in a year as they make in like 1- 2 weeks. (a month for some of the lower ranked sides)

Bretto

Bench
Even the highest paid NRL players make about $600k, which is $11,538/week. Convert that into pounds at the current exchange rate and you get $7,353 pounds. That is about 15% of the salary of the poorest paid of the sports players listed, and about 7% of the best paid from the list.

Perth Red

Post Whore
where does the NBA get its money from? They have mostly sub 20k crowds.

Suprised NFL isn't higher, I'd like to know how they got confidential salary information?

firechild

First Grade

TV rights. I'd imagine there'd be huge money in basketball, probably putting it only behind the NFL as far as top American sports. Merchandise would probably be big also, I'd imagine it'd outdo any other US sport in that area.

jonno_knights

Juniors

Suprised NFL isn't higher, I'd like to know how they got confidential salary information?

41 x 20,000 (NBA) >>>>> 8 x 60,000 (NFL)

I know there are more costs associated with running 41 home games compared to 8, but smaller venues would translate to much lower costs on a per game basis.

But its all TV revenue + Sponsorships. Thats where the money comes from. Also the support in China is quite huge, not sure now that Ming has gone, but it would still be bringing in the $$$.

NBA would have one of the biggest markets in the world as behind Football (soccer) it would probably be the next most played team sport.

Also NBA teams only have squads of around 12 or something, much smaller than NFL teams (53), I think their salary cap is about half the NFL despite having only a quarter of the players to pay.

Last edited:

Bretto

Bench

There's heaps in endorsements from company's like Nike etc. Also, even a sub 20k crowd when you're playing about 4 games a week adds up to a whole lot.

Perth Red

Post Whore
wow 41 home games? That is some committment needed by the fans! At least they don;t have to worry about the weather.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Basketball also has a small roster compared to say NFL or NHL, less to share the pie.

carlosthedwarf

First Grade
They also have national and local tv deals. Plus they're one of the best merchandising leagues in the world.

PaddyBoy

Juniors

Basketball also has a small roster compared to say NFL or NHL, less to share the pie.

They also have national and local tv deals. Plus they're one of the best merchandising leagues in the world.

The last two are pretty big. You have 5 massive earners and then the bench monkeys. Also, those ticket prices are bloody enormous.

You can't just look at raw numbers.

Arsenal 60,000 at the Emirates would be worth an enormous amount more than an NRL team pulling a similar or much bigger number.

Firey_Dragon

Coach
Sponsorship and they usually have the equivalent of 2-3 home games a week over the course of a season, 40 games excluding playoffs, which equates to around 800,000 people through the gates... It's almost identical to the NFL in terms of people through the gates per season. Operational costs are obviously higher as a result of more games, but similar nevertheless.

Squads are absolutely massive in the NFL, whilst your main guys still get great coin, it's not like the NBA where you only need to pay about 20 guys

Even the highest paid NRL players make about $600k, which is $11,538/week. Convert that into pounds at the current exchange rate and you get $7,353 pounds. That is about 15% of the salary of the poorest paid of the sports players listed, and about 7% of the best paid from the list.

So with the new TV deal, chances are that the highest paid NRL players will be around $1m/year or about 650k pounds. Still small beer on the worldwide scale, but nothing to sneeze at.

Looking at the numbers in that table, I'd say the IPL salaries work out the highest on a per week basis, because the IPL only runs about 8-10 weeks, so thats about 250k/week compared to the La Liga ones where 5m requires about 38 weeks, or about 130k/week.

Bretto

Bench
So with the new TV deal, chances are that the highest paid NRL players will be around $1m/year or about 650k pounds. Still small beer on the worldwide scale, but nothing to sneeze at.

Looking at the numbers in that table, I'd say the IPL salaries work out the highest on a per week basis, because the IPL only runs about 8-10 weeks, so thats about 250k/week compared to the La Liga ones where 5m requires about 38 weeks, or about 130k/week.

$640k, but yeah. Factor in that they only really play/train for about 9 months of the year - $650k / 36 weeks = $18k (pounds) / week = $28k (AUD) / week.

Pretty solid coin for an Australian sports person.

LeedsStorm

Juniors
The current exchange rate underestimates the true value of these salaries too. Converting GBP to AUD five years ago would give you nearly twice those reported figures.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Minnesota Wild came into the NHL in 2000, they play 41 games (excluding finals) the stadium seats 18,000. They Average 17, 700 over the 12 years. Every Game is sold out. They have never won the Stanley Cup, same sell out crowds this year for 41 games, did not make the finals.

I find this amazing.

KnightsMan90

Juniors

They may only get 20k crowds, but each team plays over 40 home games and they certainly charge for the tickets. They bring 40+ million a year from gate receipts. Then there's the billions they get from broadcasts rights.

NFL teams have relatively lower average salary's because of there high squad sizes.

Latest posts