What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Squad Changes for 07

Burwood

Bench
antonius said:
His profile says he is signed till 2006, and he was saying early in the year that he needs a big year so he could negotiate a new contract.

So that means he was only signed up to a 1 year deal in 2005- I'm not sure I can understand what the Knights were thinking in getting such a short term contract :?:

antonius

Coach
Maybe the Knights didn't update his profile on their website. I just had it in my head that he was talking about aiming up this year to get another contract here. I could be mistaking that for last year, but like I said the website says 2006.

Burwood

Bench
How's this for a rumour-

take this for what it is -

but Andrew johns has apparently been seeking permission from the Knights to start looking for a new team for 2007 season ...

Again take that for what it is, but the other part of the rumour is that Souths owners Peter and Russell have or are going to offer him $500,000 for 1 season as a carrot to get other players to join Souths for longer term deals ...

Again not sure if its real or not but it what is out there on the streets and in the clubs.
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=532743&p=56#r1108

Now I personally find this rumour to be 100% bullsh*t, but the guy that posted this has a few connections in the rugby league world- there is usually some element of truth to what he claims.

CJKnight

Juniors
Don't believe the Joey switching clubs story... but he is being paid 7-800,000 anyway isn't he???
The players I have heard Newcastle were intrested in:

John Morris (Long missed out on him)

Josh Hannay (Great replacement for Carmont if he leaves)

Brett Delaney (Brian Smith has to bring at least 1 Parra player with him doesn't he?)

Jamie Lyon (Unlikely, but our best signing since Carney if we do get him)

Brett Finch (Another rumor, but playing alongside Joey might turn him into a good player and maybe even Joey's replacement?)

Luke Macdougall (There's Carney's relacement, and a good one... if we get him)

CJKnight

Juniors
Players I think we should resign...

Johns
Thiaday
Newton
Simpson
Reynoldson
Buderus
Tighe

Note: some of these are already on contract for years yet...
P.S. Won't we have to sign a Front Row Prop or 2? with Smith retirement and Davico old? Perry and Woolnough are great but we will need at least 1 other...

Ben

Bench
Won't we have to sign a Front Row Prop or 2? with Smith retirement and Davico old? Perry and Woolnough are great but we will need at least 1 other...
That is very true. There is talk about signing backs but realistically we need another front rower to fill the void that Smith will leave. Unless Davico or Woolnough improve by leaps between now and next season, neither of them are ready for first grade. I will like to see Davico get back to his best, so then he can slot into a starting prop forward position and Tolar who is desperate to get into first grade can slot onto the bench. But at the level Davico is currently playing at he isn't ready so i would love to get a prop. Asotasi would be good but he is way out of our price range.

cram

Bench
Joey switching clubs is not on the agenda, his current deal was negoitated with the help of Channel 9 and the NRL based on him staying at Newcastle. I doubt he would give that up to go to Souths.....

CJKnight

Juniors
Joey is a simple 1 - club man... he will not switch clubs in the NRL... unless he decides to goto England for a swansong of course... but that's only a rumor...
Asotasi is way outta price range... Davico is good... but at his age he is probably best suited to the bench... at least until he retires also... probably in '08?????
I think buying a mid-age true big bopper for the #8 or #10 will be our target... someone who will not take any more of the salary cap than Smith did... unless we think of moving Woolnough to the starting lineup???? He has been on the bench for a few years now hasn't he????
But niether Davico nor Woolnough has the work effort of Smith... truely incredible Prop at his age...

northey

First Grade
christopherjon said:
Players I think we should resign...

Johns
Thiaday
Newton
Simpson
Reynoldson
Buderus
Tighe

Note: some of these are already on contract for years yet...
P.S. Won't we have to sign a Front Row Prop or 2? with Smith retirement and Davico old? Perry and Woolnough are great but we will need at least 1 other...

i can not agree with Reynoldson...](*,) nothing impressive from him yet... and he cost us a fair amount of money

CJKnight

Juniors
Don't know how much money we are paying Reynoldson... I thought it was just the average of what Bench players get... the only reason I would pick him on the bench instead of a rookie is the fact that he has quite a few years of playing First Grade... something we will need with all the youth in our side...

Tolar
Lowrie
Tanner
Brown
are all young second rowers who have probably got less games between them all... than Reynoldson has by himself... I am not saying Reynoldson is "fantastic" just a the answer to a reoccuring problem Newcastle have had in the last few years... Experience among the secondrowers and bench players...

Burwood

Bench
christopherjon said:
Don't know how much money we are paying Reynoldson... I thought it was just the average of what Bench players get... the only reason I would pick him on the bench instead of a rookie is the fact that he has quite a few years of playing First Grade... something we will need with all the youth in our side...

Tolar
Lowrie
Tanner
Brown

Don't confuse youth with inexperience. The guys you named above have had the best part of 3-4 seasons worth of first grade games. Rookies they are not.

Roy

Juniors
has there been any news up newcastle about signings, resignings, lyon if smith is doing much in england for us ect

Latest posts