What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Squad succession

84 Baby

Referee
You wouIdnt want him training with ISP (Wenty) squad (and they wouId probably only have the Eels contracted players for a ball work session or so) he needs to be training with the NRL squad.
Agreed but ISP would be higher level than juniors at least. Just part of the risk/benefit of upgrading him or not.
And it’s a moot point anyway
He trains with first grade during the week.
So no real rush to upgrade him outside of making him feel better

Obscene Assassin

First Grade

Well he's in the D6 AFAIK, and I doubt he'll be physically ready to play first grade this year. He'll start the year in Flegg and then move up to ISP eventually. We should look extend him before the 1st of November, I think there'll be a lot of interest in him.

Happy MEel

First Grade
Well he's in the D6 AFAIK, and I doubt he'll be physically ready to play first grade this year. He'll start the year in Flegg and then move up to ISP eventually. We should look extend him before the 1st of November, I think there'll be a lot of interest in him.
According the updated NRL roster link I posted earlier today Schneider isn’t part of the development squad.

Given we paid Corey for his time at Parra post Nov 1 plus any undisclosed payment to move him on, is it possible Corey will be part of our top 30 this season? Not sure how it works OA.

They changed it this year if a players moved on. On account of the dog paying players at so many different clubs last year
The $$$ come out of your cap but you can replace him in the top 30.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Agreed but ISP would be higher level than juniors at least. Just part of the risk/benefit of upgrading him or not.
And it’s a moot point anyway

If they’re not top 30 or development squad they’re not allowed to train full time. I believe they’re expected to be at TAFE/uni or have a day job.

84 Baby

Referee
If they’re not top 30 or development squad they’re not allowed to train full time. I believe they’re expected to be at TAFE/uni or have a day job.
Don’t shoot the messenger. I’ve got no f**king idea on his contract status.
The argument for upgrading is:
Pros - he can train full time & creates goodwill between the parties
Cons - if he gets injured, it’s dead money and squad space for a trainer & likely more physical money to pay him
Are they’re actual rules about non squad players training full time (he at least does some training with squad) or is that just defunct NYC rules?
On the balance, it probably is wiser to sign him to dev contract, but it’s not crucial

strider

Post Whore
Did the NRL ever make the rule about development players being allowed to play after 30th June official? .... i thought that was all still just talk

Happy MEel

First Grade

Brown, Dunster, Utoikamanu, Parry, Salesi all resigned, Upgraded or extended contracts very recently as they all where about to expire recently or within the next year.
So Parra were being proactive to secure these players as other clubs were circling.!
Schneider extended i believe in 2017.

All junior players in the off season doing an NRL pre-season 16 week block
Brown, Schneider, Utoikamanu, Dunster, Salesi, Parry were all paid accordingly full time minimum payments which is governed bye the NRL 900-1100 a week each which is part of our salary cap.

Unless you are top 30 full time you are required to either be working, Apprenticeship, Tafe, Uni even if you are on a development contract.
There are exemptions granted to those doing the above if there sport or work/Study collide.!
Allowing the development players / Nrl pre-season players to train full time.

All players above mentioned trained full time throughout the Nrl pre-season.

To be honest i dont know exactly how it all works. Im also unaware of Dunster and Schneider's contract situation.

I do remember players like Mahoney when on a development contract last year working for that organisation through Parra with disabled kids. (Giant steps)

Hope it helps

Last edited:

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
McIlwrick:

Utility: Gutherson (25), Salmon, Smith, Takairangi (30)
Fullback: French (23)
W/C: Dunster (20), Ferguson, Hoffman (31), G.Jennings, M.Jennings (31), Leleisiuao (22), Parry (20), Sivo
Half: D.Brown, Moses (25)
Hooker: Mahoney, McIlwrick (28), Pritchard (25)
Edge forward: Davey (28), Fainga'a (21), Gower (34), Lane, Ma'u (31), Moeroa (24), Niukore (23)
Tight forward: Alvaro (26), N.Brown, Evans, Kaufusi (20), Mannah (31), Paulo, Stone (22), Terepo, S.Utoikamanu (19)

Utility: Salmon (21), Smith (28)
Fullback: -
W/C: Ferguson, G. Jennings (27), Sivo (27)
Half: D.Brown (20)
Hooker: Mahoney (22)
Edge forward: Lane (26)
Tight forward: N.Brown, Evans (28), Paulo, Terepo (29)

Utility: -
W/C: Ferguson (31)
Half: -
Hooker: -
Edge forward: -
Tight forward: Brown (28), Paulo

Utility: -
W/C: -
Half: -
Hooker: -
Edge forward: -
Tight forward: Paulo (29)

So we (officially) have 12 merkins in next year's squad.

Last edited:

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
After last year’s form he might be waiting until they’re all playing better and are a lot more expensive before offering contracts.

Or maybe the players are the ones waiting. f**king merkins. You played shit for a year, you should re-sign for unders.

The upside is that external signings might be a teensy bit cheaper if we’re playing well when we sign them.

Latest posts